Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News System Shock 3 has been acquired by Tencent

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, May 21, 2020.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: OtherSide Entertainment; System Shock 3; Tencent

OtherSide Entertainment released a System Shock 3 pre-alpha gameplay teaser back in September. It was a last ditch attempt at finding a publisher for the game, which predictably failed. Over the next couple of months we began spotting numerous laid off employees on LinkedIn, and in December an anonymous former developer confirmed on our forums that OtherSide Austin no longer existed. OtherSide's Boston studio still survives somehow working on god knows what, but we all thought System Shock 3 was dead and buried. Then last week LESS T_T noticed that OtherSide's systemshock3.com domain had been quietly transferred to Chinese conglomerate Tencent a month earlier (and for good measure systemshock4.com as well). After several articles in the mainstream press were published about it earlier this week, today OtherSide confirmed somewhat vaguely that System Shock 3 had indeed been picked up by Tencent.

We are happy to announce that Tencent will be taking the System Shock franchise forward. As a smaller Indie studio, it had been challenging for us to carry the project on our own. We believe Tencent’s deep capabilities and expertise as a leading game company will bring the franchise to new heights.
    Some outlets interpreted this as an announcement that Tencent had acquired the entire System Shock franchise, but current IP owners Nightdive Studios were quick to shoot that down in a statement to PC Gamer.

While the tweet implies that Tencent now owns System Shock, Nightdive Studios, which is currently working on a System Shock remake, clarified that it remains the owner of the property.

"OtherSide licensed certain rights from us to make sequels. Those rights have now been transferred to Tencent," a rep said. "Nothing about that transfer in any way impacts our ownership."​

What's clear in my opinion is that this is not a standard publishing deal announcement. OtherSide sound like they've passed System Shock 3 on to a new owner, not like they're about to work on it themselves. My guess is that Tencent intend to find or form a new studio to develop a System Shock sequel, perhaps with Warren Spector onboard to oversee development. Indeed, there were rumors to that effect last month. We shall see.

• +20 Social Credit x 19
    • Funny x 12
    • Despair x 3
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    System shock battle royale with builtin government spying features and microtransactions

• +20 Social Credit x 8
    • Funny x 6
    • Excited! x 4
    • incline x 3
    • honk honk! x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • coof x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    Fuck

• Agree Agree x 4
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
  5. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Cant wait for the next sale of System Shock bucks to buy my experience booster.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. karnak Arcane Patron

karnak
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    So... I guess that means the game's gonna be spying on our PCs while we play, then?

[​IMG]

• Creative x 7
    • incline x 2
    • +20 Social Credit x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Fixed.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    They could use Chinese government social credit algorithms to make better Shodan. This is a win for all.

• +20 Social Credit x 3
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Hm. I wonder if the Chinese thought they were buying the rights to an actual super powerful A.I, and will only later realize it is a video game?

• Funny x 25
    • Makes you think... x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • +20 Social Credit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    Disgusting, as usual, from this company.

• butthurt x 2
    • Disgusting! x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Beautiful...I await the day when Tencent own everything in the AAA world and EA, Ubi, Activision will be reduced to making indies to stay afloat as an alternative. Maybe they'll remember that in days gone by they actually made and published good games.

• incline x 5
    • Brofist x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Chunkyman Savant

Chunkyman
    Considering how bad Underworld Ascendant was, this can only be a good thing. Normally I would feel bad for a company going under, but Otherside essentially burned several hundred thousand dollars of people's money they donated on Kickstarter either through gross incompetence or through wildly overpromising on what was feasible for the budget.

• Agree Agree x 8
    ^ Top  
  13. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Your optimism is admirable.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • coof coof x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Morpheus Kitami Literate

Morpheus Kitami
    I wasn't aware it was possible to go from zero interest to negative interest in a game. Late sequels rarely work, but a late sequel made by a company known for making P2W trash? This is going to be like the Heroes of M&M mobile games, isn't it?

• Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Eirinjas Savant

Eirinjas
    Does this mean every order of System Shock 3 will now come with a free zodiac calendar? (year of the rabbit, baby!)

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    I've asked this question before: how do Paul Neurath, Tim Stellmach, Warren Spector, and all those other idiots from the LGS-Otherside committee even sleep at night, knowing they not just ripped off their loyal fanbase of hundreds of thousands of dollars, but also lost the rights to develop their most hyped franchise, as in, THE SERIES that people continue to put on a pedestal today? I would be devastated at my own incompetence if I ever had to do something like what those fools did. Holy shit.

• Agree x 11
    • When words are not enough x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Kruno Liturgist Shitposter

Kruno
    Whatever merit this game had has now been obliterated.

• NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. cb.spike Novice

cb.spike
    I bet Spector with his world views must be thrilled by this development.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Nito Educated Patron

Nito
    It's because if these guys had that certain special something to begin with, they lost it years ago. I suspect they've always kind of taken a lot of credit for other circumstances that made games they're associated with good, be it team composition, right time right place, etc. In any case, that's irrelevant now because nearly all of them (along with a whole heap of sci-fi writers) are just shitlib NPCs. I don't think they think about it much, they probably rationalize it.

• Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 3
    • Rage x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    CHINA NUMBAH WAN

• +20 Social Credit +20 Social Credit x 9
    • incline incline x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Iluvcheezcake Savant

Iluvcheezcake
    NI HAO!

• +20 Social Credit +20 Social Credit x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. *-*/\--/\~ Arbiter

*-*/\--/\~
    They should sell all the Neuraths and Spectors to the Chinese as well, so they cannot go and pollute another studio. No social credit until they actually make a good game.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    I feel like there's a low-hanging Yakov Smirnoff "the system shocks you" joke here.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Azdul Scholar

Azdul
    So they've made a bad game, not the first and not the last, but because it was kickstarted they had to release it, instead of quietly burying it. Kickstarter is such a perfect platform for tarnishing good memories of past games.

Also forget about famous names - those guys are hired for their marketing potential. They are there to sell and hype the game, while someone else is making it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    wuxia shock coming right up ooooh yeah

• incline incline x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • +20 Social Credit +20 Social Credit x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top