Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News System Shock 3 has been acquired by Tencent

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I have a hard time imagining a Tencent game without online / social features.
What makes you think Tencent's SS3 won't have these things? :M

Archibald

Arcane
That's certainly a reason. But Tencent wants to expand its IP portfolio as part of their strategy. So this move seems to be subpar or a very first and cheap step to enter that specific market. Buying Nightdive would make more sense, even though they are maybe too obscure / niche for Tencent. And even if they want to enter the traditional Western market, I have a hard time imagining a Tencent game without online / social features.

I don't see why they'd buy any of these studios. Their ideas on what to do with this property are probably different and people working at these places aren't really suitable for the task so might as well start fresh without any prior baggage because you'll need to hire lots of new people either way.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I don't see why they'd buy any of these studios. Their ideas on what to do with this property are probably different and people working at these places aren't really suitable for the task so might as well start fresh without any prior baggage because you'll need to hire lots of new people either way.

Yes of course, but Nightdive would come with IPs. Founding a new studio, which is only allowed to make a couple of games (SS3, likely SS4), but doesn't control the IP, doesn't seem worth the effort or a grand entry to the NA market.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Why would the studio only be allowed to make those games? In no way would they be limited to the SS ip.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Realistically, if Tencent actually make an SS3 and it performs well, they're just going to dump a big pile of cash on Nightdive and get the IP.

(They could also do that right now but if NDS are smart they'll wait because they can demand a higher price later)

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Realistically, if Tencent actually make an SS3 and it performs well, they're just going to dump a big pile of cash on Nightdive and get the IP.

(They could also do that right now but if NDS are smart they'll wait because they can demand a higher price later)

Yes, but it seems counterintuitive that Tencent would invest in an IP and make it more valuable by delivering a good SS3 and then have to pay more for the IP because they made it a success.

Wunderbar

Arcane

Yes, but it seems counterintuitive that Tencent would invest in an IP and make it more valuable by delivering a good SS3 and then have to pay more for the IP because they made it a success.
it's a pocket change for them anyway

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom