Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tactical games for the DS

thesoup

Arcane
Recommend me some games like FF Tactics, Disgea, Tactics Ogre or even Devil Survivor.

lightbane

Arcane
Well, you said some of the best already, but I do recommend others like Devil Survivor 2, Front Mission First, Advance Wars series, Super robot wars (if you like anime mechas), Fire Emblem and lastly but not least, Drone Tactics, a silly but charming game I've recently discovered:

Cynic

Arcane
Lightbane has mentioned it but Front Mission First is fucking awesome. Get it, and play it, right now. Another great one is Valkyrie Profile - Covenant of the Plume. It has some pretty meaningful C&C and a very mature, tastefully grimdark story/setting based on Norse mythology.

Final Fantasy XII - Revenant Wings is meant to be good too (my gf loved it) but is more of a kind of RTS than taktikal rpg.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Luminous Arc.
Luminous_Arc_Coverart.jpg

Vanessaattackup.PNG

It lacks tactical depth / challenge but I had a lot of fun anyway. Entertaining - if Japanese - story. Oh and massive boobs..

Vanessa%282%29.jpg

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Well, you said some of the best already, but I do recommend others like Devil Survivor 2, Front Mission First, Advance Wars series, Super robot wars (if you like anime mechas), Fire Emblem and lastly but not least, Drone Tactics, a silly but charming game I've recently discovered:

Drone Tactics is extremely childish, but surprisingly fun. I like customizing those bugs.

damicore

Augur
Lightbane has mentioned it but Front Mission First is fucking awesome. Get it, and play it, right now. Another great one is Valkyrie Profile - Covenant of the Plume. It has some pretty meaningful C&C and a very mature, tastefully grimdark story/setting based on Norse mythology.

Final Fantasy XII - Revenant Wings is meant to be good too (my gf loved it) but is more of a kind of RTS than taktikal rpg.

I've heard only bad things about revenant wings, there's a similar mana game (RTS/rpg), Heroes of Mana. Has anyone tried these two and can say if any of them is worthy of anything?

About front mission first I heard it was much easier than the original, but I'm not sure, I've been playing the SNES version for a couple, exactly a couple, of missions recently but 999 is the game that has me hooked right now :incline:

Zeus

Cipher
It's not Japanese, but Age of Empires DS is a a historical, turn-based tactical strategy game that has little in common with its PC cousin, except for upgrading eras and whatnot. It's one of my favorite games on DS. Just be warned there's a glitch where if your profile name is four characters or shorter, it can brick the cart. Seriously. No one beta tests anymore.

The battles are done in Shining Force/Advance Wars style, with a cutaway to animated cartoony troops duking it out.

j0XDO.jpg

And you, can... uh... play Japanese troops?

Mortmal

Arcane
Great list indeed but i fear that the titles i havent played already are mostly import only.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Anyone played Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars for the 3DS? I picked it up because it was £8 and made by Julian Gollop, but have been putting it off since reading that it only has... six pre-designed characters with defined classes each :(

spekkio

Arcane
I bet most of this stuff will be fan-translated before 2050. You have to stay im good health, that's all.

:smug:

deuxhero

Arcane
While the first DS Fire Emblem is legitimately pretty bad (It's more of a port than a remake, and FE1 is pretty awful), if emulator or flash carding, the second (Which is a remake of a game that was actually good in the first place and changed enough to be called a remake instead of a barely expanded port) has a fan translation due out soon.

For strategy (time management) I'm told Atelier Annie is good, though not as good as the rest of the series (Haven't played it because having significant time given to on the romantic relationship of the straight female protagonist is one of my personal turn offs in any media)

Archaic sealed heat has been fan translated recently, anyone played it?

I am interested in this.

damicore

Augur
Well the patch was being beta tested when the project got abandoned. It has been leaked recently but the project was abandoned in 2010 and nothing has been known about the members of the translation team since then.
http://gbatemp.net/topic/326989-ash-archaic-sealed-heat-translation-patch-leaked/
All I have is the prepatched rom I got from a guy when the game got leaked around may this year but I don't know what the Codex take on distributing a prepatched rom would be.
It's supposedly hard to come by so I'd be willing to upload it if nobody is against it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
All I have is the prepatched rom I got from a guy when the game got leaked around may this year but I don't know what the Codex take on distributing a prepatched rom would be.

It's supposedly hard to come by so I'd be willing to upload it if nobody is against it.

I think it should be fine.

damicore

Augur
Zeus deuxhero

Here's the translation guys.
I haven't had the time to give it a try lately so some feedback on the game or the quality of the translation would be great:
http://www.mediafire.com/?w6b8obzo5ym679h

EDIT: Just played a couple of missions, you can only bring 3 chars to combat :retarded:. I, personally, am not enjoying this game that much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom