Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Illyria Series for Android

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Well, I hope you deal with your financial difficulties. You could release for the PC, as someone else suggested. You'd likely see a lot of income from places like Steam (I know I'd buy them for the PC, since I don't have my Android tablet anymore), which could help. Any income is good income.

So, I hope you can get funded...because the third installment sounds fun.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Yes ports are still an option and might actually make us a more viable company. Problem is I'm not really feeling like undertaking a purely technical task at this moment. You will probably see us come out with an arcade game I make in unity 2d to learn a multiplatform engine. And then after that I might port it. I just don't want the daunting task of porting and learning a new engine at the same time.

Chad

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I find pockettactics somewhat satisfactory in its reviews, if tablet stuff is what you're looking for.

Morkar Left

I'm still waiting for a pc release...
What for?

Yeah I know it is kind of a late answer but Bluestacks works fine for 95% of games.
And this one doesn't look like it depends a lot on wiping controls so playing on PC shouldn't be annoying.

You agree that we may collect and keep a record of the location and content of your use of the Software, which may include Information about your geographic location. You understand and agree that by using the Software that we may be able to determine your location as a result of your use of the products or applications.
B. Text Messages. By providing us with your mobile telephone number You consent to our use of that number to send You text or SMS messages with details of offers, our services and other advertising, until You tell us to stop. You can direct us to stop such text or SMS messages by sending a text message with the subject line STOP to +1 408 377 1488.

C. Technical Data. You agree that Bluestacks may collect and use technical and related information, including but not limited to technical information about your computer, system and application software and peripherals that is gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, product support and other services to You (if any) related to the Software and to verify compliance with the terms of this License. Bluestacks may use this information, as long as it is in a form that, in accordance with our Privacy Policy http://bluestacks.com/privacy.html does not personally identify you, to improve our products or to provide services or technologies to you. Without limiting the foregoing, for the purposes of gaining a better understanding of how end-users use Software , Bluestacks may, subject to our Privacy Policy, track end-user actions and record or report them over the Internet to a central analytics database. Without limitation, such actions may include:

• Downloads completed successfully;
  • Installations completed successfully;
  • Android apps installed successfully;
  • Android apps started successfully;
  • Android apps failed to start; and
  • Android apps started but failed midstream.

But thanks anyway.

To be honest, the game doesn't look that exciting to me that I really need to play it. There are literally dozens of other games I like to play on my list (first time or rerun with and without mods) or games that are coming out in the near future. If a pc version would be released I would check it out because it got some praise here. If not I have no trouble ignoring it. To be honest I doubt thyt the gameplay is deep enough to occupy me more than a few hours, android games just are lacking behind pc games in detail, content, game mechanics and longterm motivation for me, even without me despising playing on fiddly little touchscreens. The best android games, at least when it comes to rpg and strategy games are ports from pc games.

Tom Tran thanks for playing our games! I'm very pleased you like them.

The games plays fine on Blue Stacks. Absomonilute is doing a Let's Play of it using Blue Stacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoPTwwVuIkY

Will have a look at the let's play.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
it's kind of interesting but why is it so jerky? the game just runs at a horrid pace, the animations are awkward and everything just seems off about it. Combat just drags out, it's awful.

I have a nexus 10 so I know my tablet can handle the game.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I haven't played it in a while since I switched tablets but this is a serious contender for my favorite Android game.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I don't remember the game being jerky or having any of the issues that you claimed here. Are you sure you aren't running into issues with your tablet?

oscar

Arcane
Switch on animation caches. Before I did this it was indeed a bit jerky.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Agesilaus Like Oscar said turn on the caching it will help a lot. But on the Nexus 10 it will still run a bit poorer than on other tablets. Why? Because that thing has so many gosh darn pixels, it has an HD+ screen. Every frame has to be scaled to fit the screen and the 2D scaler on the canvas class isn't fast enough. I know I bought a Nexus 10 just to see how it was going to look and play on devices with over HD screens.

Kaldurenik have you tried Banner Saga or King of Dragon Pass

victim Thanks bro!

Morkar if you like table top D&D you are likely to like the game. It plays a lot like that. You are constantly making decisions. For instance

"You open the door and enter what looks like a large ballroom. It has since become the den of a smelly, savage troll. The ground is littered with piles of bones, food scraps and half drunken kegs of wine. The troll himself lies asleep in the middle of the room on a pile of furs. To the east is a door, which is barricaded by a metal grating. The lever to open the grating is near the sleeping troll's head."

Sneak out before the troll awakens
Attack the troll
Pull the lever

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So... what's the suggestion to improve performance on Nexus (other than caching)? Should I not use the HD sprites or something?

I don't find it to be enjoyable in its current state, so I simply stopped playing. Not that it's an awful game, just the performance got to me (and I don't like fictional worlds all that much).

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Agesilaus Give it a try with Bitmap caching on. Main Menu>More Options>Cache Graphics & Performance>On. What this does is leave loaded graphics/animations in memory. Otherwise it will unload them right after they are used to prevent memory crashes. It slows the game down if it has to constantly load from the SD card.

But like I said the Nexus 10 was the first 2K resolution screen and in this instance at least the processor can't quite handle all those pixels. But give it a try it will help a lot for what its worth.

Thanks,
Chad

Hey Little Killerz, finally I gave up after reading so many praises here on 'dex and bought Tales of Illyria. Game runs smoothly on my SGS Note 2, and while art style isn't really to my liking, the sheer amount of text, interesting quests, encounters, backstory and combat makes it a real fine game. Really like it, and I'm catching myself playing it more than recently released Divinity: OS, and that's saying something. Keep up the good work!

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Stainless Veteran That's awesome! Thanks for supporting us and I am so happy you like the game. It's funny you compared it to a more aaa type title. Our oldest said fan wrote this review, he's 78....

When I discovered "The Tales of Illyria", game while searching for games to play on my new Galaxy tablet, I knew I had discovered a really great game. I have been a gamer for as long as video games have been on the market. Pong was the first I ever saw back in 1975 or so, and from then on I was hooked. I have some pretty big and sophisticated games such as Neverwinter Nights and the Diablo trilogy but for pure enjoyment and fun playing I found Illyria to be just as much fun and in some ways even more fun than the giants in the industry. I felt that there was more to come and I was delighted to find that there was a sequel called "Illyria: Beyond the Wall" and to my pleasure, it was a true sequel, complete with cameo appearances by the original heroes from the first game but with different tasks to perform in these cities and towns. Only now, the areas that were formerly forbidden to venture into were now available and became the opening half of the new game, and upon completing the new adventures in the North western part of Illyria, the game opened to all of the places in the first game but with different adventures to experience. It is like having two games in one.
I was born in 1936, so I am a bit on the elderly side, in body at least, but it is games like Illyria: Beyond the Wall, that keep me young and have made me an avid fan of "Little Killerz", the guys who came up with this jewel of a role playing game. It is by far the most enjoyable game I have in my vast collection, and worth every penny. I highly recommend this game for those who want to have fun. The character development, the story line, the side tasks that are encountered and the bizarre creatures and the game play are all adding up to a first class game. Each time I play the game, it is different, with different adventures and tasks to do which I overlooked the first time through. I give this a top rating for just pure adventuring fun.

Vulcris

Novice
For those interested, the two games are 80% off on googleplay. Just bought them.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks, Vulcris. I managed to buy this thing in the end, even if Google did everything it could to stop me. It would not take my credit card or link my paypal account (Poland). In the end I put my wife's sim card into my phone and bought it by adding the price to her phone bill. Geez, Google, get your shit together!

Game looks quite promising. Loved how it immediately started raining when I began my journey (morale decreased). Game seems filled with lore and other interesting stuff.
I even started reading the Codex Illyria PDF, which is surprisingly decently written.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom