Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter TaleSpire - Digital Role-playing System

Dyskolos

Cipher
This just looks better and better. It's like what I've always wanted as a followup to FRUA but with so much more charm to everything.

Jonny Ree

Bouncyrock Entertainment
Developer
Thanks Dyskolos! I was not aware of FRUA, so thanks for drawing my attention to it. that looks pretty awesome!

Jonny Ree

Bouncyrock Entertainment
Developer
I was in the mood for some non-code related tasks. So did a random LP cover and started the tavern tileset:
taleSpireLPSmall.png

Paintover sketch:
tavernSketchSmall.png

Mockup:
tavernTilesetSmall.png

Jonny Ree

Bouncyrock Entertainment
Developer
Yeah. He had the poor skeleton removed unfortunately. He was unwilling to part with his spear.

progressTavern.png

Durwyn

Prophet
Where do I send money to fund additional option for virtual "hand-painting" mode of models and tiles ?

Jonny Ree

Bouncyrock Entertainment
Developer
Durwyn: Oh wow. I didn't consider that being a thing.. Now my brain is spinning on how that could be achieved. Shoot. I'll be putting that on my wishlist as well. Although it is a LONG list :-/

TAVERN SET
Here are some more final shots from the tavern set. I created a new painting filter for Substance Painter which is much like my old one, but now can pick up underlying layers and work on that. which is great. I will post progress as well as go through some of the Substance Designer.

PS: Also added a newsletter signup at: http://talespire.com

nealiios

Arcane
Developer
You just call on my name, and you know wherever I am... (Suddenly everybody is posting to me all over the Codex today. Did I die? ;) )

I like the screen shots. Look very nice. Reminds me of good ole Baldur's Gate. Warm and fuzzy feelings.

Jonny Ree

Bouncyrock Entertainment
Developer
Maaan this looks so yummy!
Thank you!

I like the screen shots. Look very nice. Reminds me of good ole Baldur's Gate. Warm and fuzzy feelings.
That's a pretty nice place to be. Thank you very much!

Final tavern related shot for a while. Showing the power of stacking tiles.
stackingTiles.jpg

We were also taken a bit by surprise with PCGamer wanting to de a really short write up on TaleSpire: http://www.pcgamer.com/upcoming-pc-games/
I guess we'll have to start taking this thing seriously now :P

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Looking at all the screens...no over and under? Vertical space is infinitely high? (as far as characters go). Only one character or floor per vertical space?

Zep--

Jonny Ree

Bouncyrock Entertainment
Developer
vonAchdorf: Thanks!

Ninjerk: Awesome!

Looking at all the screens...no over and under? Vertical space is infinitely high? (as far as characters go). Only one character or floor per vertical space?

Currently it is a 2D map. Meaning there is no true concept of vertical space other than, visual (where on the z-axis the character will drop), and the possibility to calculate difference in height if needed. I have been thinking of ways to make true vertical special awareness.. The problem so far has been how not to become cumbersome to build and to move around in. So a design question basically.
To summarize: Only one character per tile regardless of height.

Jonny Ree

Bouncyrock Entertainment
Developer

Jonny Ree

Bouncyrock Entertainment
Developer
okay, set up a patreon. I'm gonna give you tenbucks a month for this.

Thanks for that! Very much appreciate your willingness to throw money our way. Maybe patreon could be a way to fund this project eventually, especially once we're primarily dealing with asset creation. Might be a good way to get people engaged. I feel it might be a bit early for that though, as we don't have too much to offer people who do decide to become our patrons on a regular basis quite yet. Maybe that is something we can do once we start testing the game.
Thanks again though! that is pretty awesome

SmartCheetah

Arcane
This is actually pretty cool idea, I must say! Setting up patreon to fund additional assets/settings/rulesets/tools after you guys have a strong base already done. I'd get on the paying wagon as well!

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Geez, what a project!!! Instant newsletter signed.

tony-stark-approved-o.gif

Now, perhaps it's too early to ask, but, what rulesetting will it be? Looks like a typical DD, but the Dark Eye one could also work fine too, unless you choose to build up your own ruleset from scratch?

Jonny Ree

Bouncyrock Entertainment
Developer
Thanks again guys! We're still working on figuring out how systems should work. So no clear word on that. We've experimented with our own and some 5th ED stuff so far. I'll definitely check out Dark Eye and Dungeon Crawl Classic! Thanks for that.

I recently rewrote the level serialization system to make it support saving and loading multiple types of BoardAssets. (Tiles, Characters, tokens, etc)
This was required to do the next thing which is Fog of War. here is a small preview:
fow.gif
fow.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom