Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tavern Keeper - Fantasy tavern simulator

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
From creators of Game Dev Tycoon
https://twitter.com/TavernKeeper

About The Game

A good tavern is the heart and soul of a community - a place for drama and intrigue, shoddy deals and outrageous meals. A place for peasants to relax, travellers to rest and heroes to plan their next daring adventure. But what of the unsung heroes of it all - the tavern keepers?

In Tavern Keeper you manage a tavern, building, bartering, cooking and cleaning your way to success in a humorous fantasy world. Starting out with a shell of a tavern in the backwaters of the kingdom, you build rooms, place items, stock the larder and hire staff to satisfy the demands of the oddball locals and misfit heroes that stumble through your door. Run your business well and you’ll progress to larger taverns with more demanding patrons where you’ll need to expand your offerings to include new meals, drinks, rooms and services.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
Feature Preview
  • Build and run your own unique fantasy tavern.
  • Hire, organize and manage your staff and keep them cheerful and efficient.
  • Serve a wide variety of eccentric characters, from human peasants to orc nobility.
  • Balance merchant supply, patron demand and larder stocks with a truly medieval storage system.
  • Keep patrons satisfied with food, drink, services and entertainment as you build your reputation.
  • Expand your kitchen to craft ever more exotic dishes.
  • Optimize production workflows to stay a step ahead of the growing crowds.
  • Plan carefully, spend your money wisely and keep an eye out for chaotic events that could drive you out of business.
Release Expectations

Tavern Keeper is currently at the internal Alpha stage and, while it’s too early to talk about a release date, we’re aiming to get to a solid Beta stage sometime in 2018. We know that’s painful to read (we feel you, we really do!) but we want to make this game fun and a worthwhile experience for our fans and that simply takes time.

FAQ
When will Tavern Keeper come out?
There is no estimate for a release date yet. We aim to get to a solid Beta stage some time in 2018. We will decide what form the Beta will take (open/closed) when we get closer to this milestone.

What will the gameplay be like?
At its core, Tavern Keeper is a business simulation management game. You don’t have direct control over any character. Instead, you lay out rooms, outfit them with items, hire staff and then manage their activities and workflows to make your tavern work. It is inspired by games like Theme Hospital and Startopia among others. The focus of Tavern Keeper is very much on the inside workings of a tavern; there is no dungeon crawling, no wars to fight and no armies to control.

Can I get my hands on the game? I’d like to test/review/buy it!
Sorry but the game is not available yet.

Why are you taking so long?
This is not an unusual time-frame for a game like this at all and we would rather deliver something worthwhile for you to enjoy, instead of rushing a mediocre experience. If you want to follow our journey please check out the twitter, facebook and newsletter options on our main page but if you prefer to be notified only when big news is announced, you can sign up to our company newsletter here.

Will you do a Kickstarter?
No, we don’t have plans for a Kickstarter.

Is the game coming to Steam?
Yes, once it’s battle-tested and ready.

Will the game come out on mobile or consoles?
No.

Will the game run on Mac and Linux?
Mac probably, Linux possibly, but we will have to wait and test this closer to a Beta stage.

Will the game be available in my language?
We will consider translations once we get closer to a release. We value the different cultures and languages around the world and would love to localize the game.

Will there be modding support?
Eventually, yes, but first we are focusing on getting to Beta and then we will re-assess whether modding support is best implemented before or after the initial release.

Why don’t the characters have elbows?
They... They don't?

Animating elbows is simply too expensive!

Seriously though, it’s an artistic choice. As our art director Seth explains:

One of the reasons was so we could have big hands, giving them more emphasis/visibility even when the camera is zoomed out (which it often is). Connecting them with relatively small arms would have looked odd and, as a bonus, it saves work.

Seems fun and interesting but Game Dev Tycoon was too repetitive. They better put all monies they got from it to some use so this game won't be play-and-forget, because replayability surely must be higher for economic sims.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Interesting concept but concept nontheless.

To be fun it needs a ton of gameplay attached to it that won't fizzle out after 5 hours.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Yeah that's what I thought too. I like the idea, but one of my first projects would be a vampire ridden hellhole where no one gets out alive like from Dusk 'til Dawn. I dont know why but killing the guests and stapling their corpses somewhere in a back room is one of the first things that comes to my mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom