Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Tavernking's RPG

Discussion in 'Codex Workshop' started by Tavernking, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Shitposter

Tavernking
    Tavernking’s RPG: Realms of Arkania meets Crusader Kings as a medieval life simulator in a high fantasy setting.

This is a turn-based, party-based, open-world hardcore RPG. The design philosophy is 'unfair, unpredictable and unforgiving.'

Unfair: You are a guest in these harsh lands. Not a superhero who slaughters hundreds of enemies in a single afternoon without batting an eye. You start as a vulnerable commoner who has never held a sword in his life, and the difficulty of combat reinforces this notion. RNGesus rules with an iron fist here. Even the mightiest of knights in peak condition can be instantly killed by a single lucky arrow, shot by a frail goblin who has never used a a bow in its life.

Unpredictable: Randomly generated world map. Thousands of random events offering a wealth of choices and multiple outcomes. Many NPC companions all with unique personalities and likes/dislikes, they will leave the party if they don't like what you're doing.

Unforgiving: Choice and Consequence. Women, elves and dwarves face constant restrictions (but they have their own advantages too). Death is quick and irreversible, you cannot reload old saves. Death is permanent, no second chances.

Journey across the lands on a large overworld map. Fight turn-based battles on a grid. Decide you’re done with adventuring, get a stable job as a farmer, blacksmith, guard, etc. Find a spouse and produce an heir. Play as your heir once your character dies of old age. There's an overarching storyline too: demons are prophesied to invade a thousand years from now, will your family line survive?

Random world generation gif
    Show Spoiler

Prototype pic
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    • Brofist x 3
    • Interesting x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Catacombs Liturgist Patron

Catacombs
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    I'm interested.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Are you the "idea guy" looking for a coder to make it for you, as usually happens? :smug:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. dawcio Learned

dawcio
    Is this like neo scavenger but with families and jobs?

^ Top  
  5. AdamReith Learned Patron

AdamReith
    Seems a bit gay? Maybe that's what you were going for, no judgies.

But it reminds me of some of Sseth's gifs.

Serious Answer: Love the sound of the concept. Can you go into details of how the various systems interact. Thanks!

^ Top  
  6. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    I'm doing preparations for a project with a comparable timeline, and also played through the eyes of single people "one at a time".
    Completely different gameplay, though, but I thought that was a funny coincidence.

^ Top  
  7. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Shitposter

Tavernking
    I've decided to release a prototype of the random world generation. Player speed has been increased by 200% for testing purposes. Let me know what you think.

https://tavernking.itch.io/world-gen-demo

I have no idea if this download will work on computers that don't have flash player installed. If you don't have flash player, please let me know whether the game runs for you or not. Enjoy.

screenshot:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

Can you elaborate on what you want to hear about?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Metronome Educated

Metronome
    Well it works on Wine without any problems... at least for now.
    The art is really nice. I like the use of color. I don't like the way parts of the map pop in and out while you're walking though. I think that would be better with smooth transitions. Maybe it isn't so bad when your character is going at normal speed. Other than that there's not much to say. I walked off the side of the world one time, and found acorns in the oceans, but that just seems like prototype stuff.

The plot sounds interesting, and I'll play it if you finish. Good luck!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Shitposter

Tavernking
    Two new screenshots today.
    The game will have seasons as you progress through the years. Travelling costs food supplies and camping supplies. Travelling in the winter is a pain, because it doubles the amount of camping supplies consumed and overall travel is slower. You may even find that some distant settlements become almost impossible to travel to during the winter, unless you have a high foraging skill and can live off the land.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

A simple solution to the harsh winters of this world? Stay in a settlement for few months and work a job. Well-paid jobs require skills that you need to train beforehand. But at the start of the game you can always work for your father for some pocket change.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the exp you gain is hidden. It will be random but generally proportional to the amount of time you work. Thoughts? I'm willing to change this if it's unpopular.

Now some bad news: there will be no more updates until July because I'm very busy. But I'm aiming to have a playable demo out before 2021.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    ^ Top  
  10. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz

• Funny Funny x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)