Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter TEKKEN 7

i actually haven't been able to enjoy a single fighting game since tekken 3/tag. it's all about remembering the most overpowered combo or exploiting this or that bugged cancel, no need anymore to compare movesets to find the more appropriate attack and defense strategies.

Played for some hours last night, it was very hard to find matches, I imagine most people are playing Story mode or some shit.

Steam Charts shows the game as having a peak of ~15k players, I guess that's ok for a fighting game.

http://steamcharts.com/app/389730

The popamole of fighting games is definitely Netherrealm garbage - i.e. Mortal Kombat, Injustice, and so on. That shit is just terrible and gaming 'journalists' just lap it up like it's the best thing ever.

Tekken is not the greatest but it's a very far cry from those games. Infinitely superior.

sullynathan

Arcane
Tekken is back :yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

So what are impressions, how much has it improved since Tekken 5? What's with the Virtua fighter dickriding?

no pirate, shit

No dickriding, VF is simply the superior game, too bad the series is dead.

It's hard to say at this point, need to play more. But sidestep feels a lot less effective now (maybe the characters I play have shitty sidesteps), I don't like the Rage Art bullshit but I understand they want to put in comeback mechanics for casuals. I also don't like the universal high/mid crush moves that every character has.

My beef with Tekken is that it's basically impossible to have a controlled offense. If you ever try to dash forward you'll eat a CH to the face, 95% of the time. In VF it was entirely possible to dash forward and cancel it with a block since there was a guard button. So the game devolves into backdash canceling and whiffing moves until someone hits a safe launcher for 60% juggle damage. It's boring. People spam 100% safe moves that also launch and lead to huge damage - the crucial concept of risk/reward is completely absent in this series, it's always been this way. Also, throws are retardedly easy to escape and don't really figure into the gameplay the way the developers wish it did.

Another pet peeve of mine with Tekken is that the game's buffer system is simply flawed - it's always been this way. There's no universal buffer and the input parsing is really 'dirty', for a lack of a better word. A good way to test this is seeing how inconsistent pressing two buttons simultaneously is. Good players get around this flaw by holding one of the buttons, but that's a ridiculous workaround for something that should have been fixed 20 years ago.

But so far I'm having fun because I haven't played Tekken in 12 years - seeing the new characters and so on. It doesn't look bad either, once you disable the ugly postprocessing shit (higher settings have a smear filter and color aberration that's really terrible). Animations are pretty awful (I'm sure they just got the raw mocap data from their old engine and imported it), but the models themselves are decent enough.

Netcode is alright (considering that the game was built from the ground up with a native 8 frames of delay - this disgusting shit seems to be the norm now), but the matchmaking is pretty shit right now, a lot of people having trouble connecting and seeing other players/lobbies. Once you do manage to get a connection (4 bars and up) it's pretty decent.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
VF is simply the superior game
I've always seen the argument that Virtua Fighter is more technical than Tekken, I won't delve more into it but I grew up playing Tekken and haven't played any Virtua game except trying 4 in emulator. I've tried old Mortal Kombat's 1 & 2, and older Tekken when I was younger and I was good at them. My skill in these games waned with age but trying new fighting games (Guilty Gear Xrd, Mortak Kombat 2011 and Street Fighter 4) I understand a bit of it. When I play something like Xrd Sign I end up feeling like I needed to do more than Nether realms game which I didn't like at all.

I have many fond memories of playing Tekken 5 with different groups at different points of my life.
me too.

as far as i can remember, virtua fighter was also suffering of "whoever knows the most overpowered supermoves wins", while in tekken (up to 3) you could win even if you knew only basic punches, as long as you knew your opponent well enough.

PrettyDeadman

The popamole of fighting games is definitely Netherrealm garbage - i.e. Mortal Kombat, Injustice, and so on. That shit is just terrible and gaming 'journalists' just lap it up like it's the best thing ever.

Tekken is not the greatest but it's a very far cry from those games. Infinitely superior.
How is tekken not the greatest? Can you explain?

How is tekken not the greatest? Can you explain?

I wrote in my earlier reply that:
My beef with Tekken is that it's basically impossible to have a controlled offense. If you ever try to dash forward you'll eat a CH to the face, 95% of the time. In VF it was entirely possible to dash forward and cancel it with a block since there was a guard button. So the game devolves into backdash canceling and whiffing moves until someone hits a safe launcher for 60% juggle damage. It's boring. People spam 100% safe moves that also launch and lead to huge damage - the crucial concept of risk/reward is completely absent in this series, it's always been this way. Also, throws are retardedly easy to escape and don't really figure into the gameplay the way the developers wish it did.

Another pet peeve of mine with Tekken is that the game's buffer system is simply flawed - it's always been this way. There's no universal buffer and the input parsing is really 'dirty', for a lack of a better word. A good way to test this is seeing how inconsistent pressing two buttons simultaneously is. Good players get around this flaw by holding one of the buttons, but that's a ridiculous workaround for something that should have been fixed 20 years ago.

These are some of the main reasons. Shitty risk/reward is mostly why I don't really like the game. It's flashy and it can be fun, but most matches devolve into whiff baiting into launcher -> optimized combo. It's very boring when both sides are backdash cancelling and throwing random safe moves out into thin air. Online play and inherent input lag mean that mid/low mixups are stronger than in the past.

Also, while some character customizations look alright (King has some sweet costumes), people will always be retard and choose ridiculous shit like moose heads, shower heads, trophies in hands, sparks, distracting hit particles and all manner of garish bullshit that make the game difficult to read. I'd pay the game's price twice over just to have the option to turn all that shit off.

Doesn't mean the game can't be fun - it's pretty fun. But it ain't the greatest.

lightbane

Arcane
Kazuya's devil form lost quite a lot of weight since its original incarnation back in Tekken 2. Also, scripted battles? :decline:

At least the final boss isn't as bad as Jinpachi.

Well, it's obviously a matter of taste. For 2D, I think Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 is the best right now (it was just released):

I think the playerbase is quite small on PC, though.

In my opinion, DoA is severely dumbed down rock-paper-scissors crap that caters to horny weeb whales who shell out fortunes for wiggly tit DLC, so that's out. The last decent DoA game was probably DoA 3 16 years ago. Tekken wins by default.

Matchmaking issues aside, Tekken 7 really does work pretty well on PC and at least for now there's a healthy playerbase, I always find matches quickly. Not sure how long it'll last since a lot of more casual players just give up after a week or so. But for now it's a good deal.

Don't buy the deluxe version though, that's a ripoff that nets you essentially nothing.

PrettyDeadman

Don't buy the deluxe version though, that's a ripoff that nets you essentially nothing.

So,
Buy GUILTY GEAR Xrd -REVELATOR- (+DLC Characters) + REV 2 All-in-One (does not include optional DLCs)
is the way to go?

PrettyDeadman

Would you recommend steam controller for this game? OR PS4PAD (I have PS3PAD and LOGITECH F710)

So,
Buy GUILTY GEAR Xrd -REVELATOR- (+DLC Characters) + REV 2 All-in-One (does not include optional DLCs)
is the way to go?
I was talking about the Tekken 7 Deluxe version. Not sure about the Guilty Gear package, I don't think there's a all in one with both sets of DLC (for the base game and the expansion).

As far as controllers go, I can only play fighting games with an arcade stick, so I can only recommend one of those. If you're comfortable with a pad, PS4 pad is as good as any I guess...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom