Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter TEKKEN 7

McPlusle

Savant
I wanted to love Tekken 7 but I can only say I like it. I've been playing the series religiously since Tekken 3 and I'm not going to deny that my opinions on some of the games are probably colored by nostalgia, but the nicest thing I can say about it in terms of core gameplay is that it's better than 6/Tag 2. I still hate the rage mechanic, and I don't think super moves have a place in Tekken, but they did it as tastefully as they could so I guess that's nice. Obviously, the rage stuff still feels like a gimme mechanic for people who suck at fighting games, and some of the newer characters (FUCKING BOB) are disgustingly scrub-friendly. I still think it's a fun fighting game, and probably the best fighter we're going to get in a post-Virtua Fighter world (I still maintain that VF4 is the greatest fighting game of all time), but the series has been better before.

My main issue is with the content package. The story mode is awful and the "character episodes" are insulting. It's inexcusable for this shit to be in a series that used to have a dedicated, arcade mode-length story mode for every single character. The roster is another problem, but one that I hope the DLC will fix. Like, where the fuck are series staples like Lei, Anna, and Julia?

PrettyDeadman

Played some more games. Get to dan 1. There is actually plenty of pretty bad people online so I can get some wins. Don't think I'll rank higher than dan 1 thogh.
Get to grandmaster dan 6 in treasure hunter. Those bots are scrubs.

PrettyDeadman

Anyone wants to play together? PM me please. My most played games are dota2, dark souls and fallout 4.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Thus far, I've played 11 online matches and won 10 of them as my main Dragunov. Those who I played against wouldn't use juggling to their advantage.

And lack of Anna is teh sux, yes. I would've liked Kunimitsu from Tekken Tag 2(which I hope gets released on steam someday) but I knew that was a faint hope.

Mozg

Arcane
So little about Tekken ever changes. King's throw animations are all still Tekken 2 and 3 stuff.

PrettyDeadman

What's the best way to improve? Can you recommend good tutorials? I've been watching puddle guy stuff and planning to watch his ttt2 dragunov video (3.5 hour long!!!! with no footnotes), but maybe there aer other good sources.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
What's the best way to improve? Can you recommend good tutorials? I've been watching puddle guy stuff and planning to watch his ttt2 dragunov video (3.5 hour long!!!! with no footnotes), but maybe there aer other good sources.

The true and tested method I use across all fighting games is to watch good players use the character I'm interested in. Dissect their gameplay, look at what they use, when they use it, and why it works. Then shamelessly copy that as a foundation for my gameplan, and go from there. Other than that, you already mentioned ATP guy who has been putting out a lot of good videos lately, and then there's also the Tekken Zaibatsu forums, which contain a lot of general information and also character specific subforums.

TC Jr

Scholar
The live events for the tekken series are a fucking joke, everyone picks the same characters and I know a shit load of skill is involved but it seems like whoever gets that first juggle going essentially wins.

I'm also butt hurt cause I get my fucking arse kicked, I don't know enough about fighting game mechanics/terminology but what's with the juggling, replaying tekken 3 and it's nowhere near as bad, I just don't like those frames in a fighting game were the character can't do shit to prevent a stupid long combo, I'm not familiar to know if that's just the way it is and people are fine with it though.

TC Jr

Scholar
TC you can play with me I suck at tekken.
Lol I reckon I'm just shite at fighting games, I have fun with them, proper competitive play is just out the question, too easy to exploit and wheres the fun in repeating the same strategy with the same character and hope you pull off their best juggle combo first?

PrettyDeadman

TC you can play with me I suck at tekken.
Lol I reckon I'm just shite at fighting games, I have fun with them, proper competitive play is just out the question, too easy to exploit and wheres the fun in repeating the same strategy with the same character and hope you pull off their best juggle combo first?
Right now i mostly use jabs and try to sidestep in order to do a launcher which lead to a single combo I know for 58-61 damage. Ocassionally I am using running punch or low hit. I also use rage art whenether I am low hp.

I am planning to learn more options to punish and combos which start with something other than my launcher, maybe some perssure.

Mozg

Arcane
Tekken 3 had ridiculously high damage on arcade defaults; a single CH deathfist did like 80%. The most obnoxiously long juggles were like 3 seconds long. Over time for some reason they lowered the damage while adding more and more juggle tools and mechanics (like wall hits and bounds).

In Tekken's defense the juggles are very easy aside from a few bits of completely arbitrary just frame shit, it's nothing like learning some confirm into a 1-frame link.

TC Jr

Scholar
Fair play, I reckon it's just me, not cut out for fighting games. I just hate that wall bounce/juggling, it looks ridiculous and too easy to spam but as you said the damage output is lowered so you have a chance of getting out.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
One of the key ways to improve is to simply just keep playing; for instance, I've played quite a bit as Laura in Street Fighter V(several hundred matches in fact) and there were subtle improvements(which can be subconscious too) to my skill that I've made that ultimately contributed to winning quite a few matches.

Also, as it pertains to this game, it pays to play a bit more defensively and methodologically that you would against the AI(ie. don't expect to just wail at the enemy and expect to win). It also helps to milk as much damage in a combo chain as possible, like as Dragunov I uppercut the opponent, pull a good combo when they're in the air and then finish it up with a good attack when they're laying on the ground(he has this sliding kick that's good for that or for whenever the enemy is knocked on the ground in general), which delivers quite a bit of damage onto the opponent.

Perkel

Arcane
Best way to improve is to:

- pick one character you think is cool.
- understand how primary attacks work.
- learn 4-5 moves out of those 99 per character and learn when to use them
- mix low/mid/high attacks.
- find someone to play with, because playing fighting game alone is boring.

once you get familiar with those 4-5 moves learn another one.

Machocruz

Arcane
Do not bother trying to remember the entire movelist. Do what Perkel said and choose a handful of moves and exhaust the possibilities with them. Keep using them to learn their attributes, their effectiveness under various conditions. I did this when I was learning Street Fighter 2 back in the day and have applied it to every new fighting game I pick up since then. For example I would only use Strong and Forward attacks in matches, then use only Fierce and Roundhouse, then add in one special move, and keep building like that.

Like learning anything, it helps to be systematic.

pick a character you like for larping reasons. you have to enjoy playing with it. then actually play with it, the single player is fine, you're just going to train the use of its moves. read the combos, find out which one you can memorize and/or are able to pull off. if you have bad memory, work with those you can, there's no need to know all the moves as long as you know when to pull those you know off. then get beaten up, play and watch how the computer demolishes your noob ass. sooner or later you'll know all those combos and will be able to anticipate them, to understand "damn, now it'll do that move to me", and then you'll block them. as long as you know your opponent, you'll take no damage, and as long as you're able to take no damage, even the most basic, stupidest combos will penetrate your opponent's defense sooner or later. once a human opponent aknowledges this, he'll try new moves, that's when he loses because he watched some skilled player, shamelessly copied his style and doesn't know to do anything else.

this worked for me back with tekken tag, i could spend hours at the arcade, fueled by people crashing against my fucking gunjack, and i was a terrible player judging by the gunjack itself, because they never learnt to play the game, they took the most overpowered bryan/paul combos/moves and spammed them whenever they could.
if it is true that, aside from the supermoves i heard, the game hasn't changed much, you'll do wonder.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Once you go guilty gear you never go back to other fighting games. Also play on keyboard like real men do.

Keyboard is best thing when it comes to fighting games, especially when you can just macro some moves to different keys.

PrettyDeadman

Don't buy the deluxe version though, that's a ripoff that nets you essentially nothing.

So,
Buy GUILTY GEAR Xrd -REVELATOR- (+DLC Characters) + REV 2 All-in-One (does not include optional DLCs)
is the way to go?
Once you go guilty gear you never go back to other fighting games. Also play on keyboard like real men do.
Don't know man. I used to play Guilty Gear in school, and yesterday I pirated GG Rev. 2 before buying, tried it for 30 minutes and was honestly not impressed.
So far tekken is the best fighting game for me. I played couple dozens of hours in NRS but didn't feel it, with tekken i feel it.

1. Choose character you think is cool. Don't worry about tiers or anything like that.

2. Focus on learning the fundamentals of the game - blocking and punishing are the most important things in pretty much every fighting game, and Tekken is no exception (for the most part). Bloated movelists are a big flaw in Tekken in my opinion, only a handful of moves are usable, the rest is fluff. Find out what moves your character has that are good and for what. This takes a very long time, and is a very painful process. You might accelerate this by finding a decent guide for your character, but it's difficult in Tekken because most videos and 'guides' focus on juggle combos and don't really go into much detail about which moves are good for what purpose. Don't worry about crazy juggle combos now, find a couple that are easy to execute and stick to those.

3. Don't get carried away or distracted about shit you might hear about like Korean backdashing or wavedashing. Those techniques have a place, but you have to understand and be very good at fundamentals first before you can make use of them, otherwise you're just trying to run before you can walk - won't do you any good, on the contrary, you will actually play worse if you focus on things like that first.

4. A big part of Tekken is baiting whiffed moves. You do this by doing a move that's safe and backdashing, mostly, and waiting to see what your opponent does. If he does something that is punishable, you punish with your best tool. Sometimes this leads into a combo.

That's pretty much it. You need to be able to block telegraphed lows that lead to big damage combos on reaction. This takes practice and is much harder to do online than in a live situation.

PrettyDeadman

I can do korean backdaashes (albeit a little slow). IWS is a bit harder to do (unreliable), but doesn't seem like something which requires amazing skill or causes strain in hand while playing on controller.
Maybe its a good thing to play on kb and macro that shit, but I won't be able to participate in torunaments then.
Maybe ill do it just to practice macroing and see how it looks like then its done instantaneously (for reference).
Hardest part for me seems what to do (how to open up opponent, punish, when to take iniative, how to deal with eddie).

Last edited by a moderator:

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
This game is easy as hell to get all the chievos for, even easier than Tekken 6(which wasn't all that hard to achieve either). All I need are two more, one for 50K damage in training and one for a win in an online tournament match.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom