Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Temple+ on Linux

Banichi

Novice
Has anyone gotten the current version to run on Wine?

Unfortunately not. It looks like this broke when TemplePlus switched to using .NET instead of being entirely native. I've tried fiddling around with both native .NET and mono installed within wine.

TemplePlus-0.1.0-pre+731.zip worked well enough but I haven't tested anything between then and now as I was busy with the Keep on the Borderlands mod which TemplePlus doesn't support.

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
Has anyone gotten the current version to run on Wine?

Unfortunately not. It looks like this broke when TemplePlus switched to using .NET instead of being entirely native. I've tried fiddling around with both native .NET and mono installed within wine.

TemplePlus-0.1.0-pre+731.zip worked well enough but I haven't tested anything between then and now as I was busy with the Keep on the Borderlands mod which TemplePlus doesn't support.

Hi there,

we currently only use .NET for the config utility/updater. You may be able to install .NET using this workaround: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=32828

Best Regards,
Gimp

Banichi

Novice
It looks like this broke when TemplePlus switched to using .NET instead of being entirely native. I've tried fiddling around with both native .NET and mono installed within wine.

we currently only use .NET for the config utility/updater. You may be able to install .NET using this workaround: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=32828

Thanks. It's not so much that .NET can't be installed (although that's fiddly enough) but that wine doesn't recognize that it can use that instead of Mono (which currently fails with an assertion error when trying to start TemplePlusConfig.exe).

It looks like I was confused by TemplePlus.exe starting the config utility if it can't find the config (I assume). If the config utility is "just" generating a config file then in the short term it's going to be easier to generate that by hand instead. Is this
as simple as putting a .ini with sane contents somewhere?

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
It looks like I was confused by TemplePlus.exe starting the config utility if it can't find the config (I assume). If the config utility is "just" generating a config file then in the short term it's going to be easier to generate that by hand instead. Is this
as simple as putting a .ini with sane contents somewhere?

It should be. Do you know where your standard Windows "Saved Games" folder is in Wine? It should be in "%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games" or sth. Relative to that, it expects TemplePlus\TemplePlus.ini

Banichi

Novice
Is this as simple as putting a .ini with sane contents somewhere?

It should be. Do you know where your standard Windows "Saved Games" folder is in Wine? It should be in "%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games" or sth. Relative to that, it expects TemplePlus\TemplePlus.ini

Well, once again that was easier than I was expecting.. :)

Created an empty file there and now running the game doesn't run the config utility and does fill the file with default(?) settings which I can happily edit.

Interestingly I don't have to override the (wine builtin) d3dcompiler_47.dll with the native one included with TemplePlus anymore.

Simple HOWTO for wine:
1. install wine (I'm using 1.8.1)
2. install ToEE (I ran the GoG installer under wine) - I installed to C:\games\ToEE due to force of habit of avoiding windows paths with spaces
3. fetch the TemplePlus zip file and just unzip it directly in the directory where you installed ToEE
4. touch ~/.wine/drive_c/users/$USER/Saved\ Games/TemplePlus/TemplePlus.ini
5. cd ~/.wine/drive_c/games/games/ToEE
6. wine TemplePlus.exe
7. immediately exit
8. edit the ini file to set resolution etc. as desired
9. wine TemplePlus.exe

dechlog

Novice
Simple HOWTO for wine:
1. install wine (I'm using 1.8.1)
2. install ToEE (I ran the GoG installer under wine) - I installed to C:\games\ToEE due to force of habit of avoiding windows paths with spaces
3. fetch the TemplePlus zip file and just unzip it directly in the directory where you installed ToEE
5. cd ~/.wine/drive_c/games/games/ToEE
6. wine TemplePlus.exe
7. immediately exit
8. edit the ini file to set resolution etc. as desired
9. wine TemplePlus.exe
Hey thanks, this works for me.

I am experiencing a graphical glitch but as an ignoramus I don't know if it's a problem with wine, HD3000 integrated graphics, both, or neither:
gyoYXa.png

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
That looks... uhm.... interesting I guess?

Can you check your log-file for any obvious error messages please?

Epsilon

Cipher
What version of vc++ libraries does this rely on? I'm having some issues getting it to install on WINE.

smileyninja

Educated
I've been fighting this thing all weekend. Got ToEE in PlayonLinux Virtual Drive: /home/$USER/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/TempleElementalEvil_gog/drive_c/GOG Games/Temple of Elemental Evil.

Have Co8 Modpack installed and activated. Made the saved game folder and config file in: (TemplePlus.ini) in /home/$USER/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/TempleElementalEvil_gog/drive_c/users/$USER/Saved Games/TemplePlus

When running on TemplePlus.exe (wine TemplePlus.exe) it crashes

tiwUkLA.png

I've got dotnet40, dotnet45,dotnet452 and dotnet46 installed in winetricks. dotnet_verifier states all are installed. I've also installed vcrun2010-vcrun2015. d3dz9_43 is also installed. Earlier there was a post that Directx 11.1 was used, I'm using the latest wine 2.13 (staging) as well as wine 1.81 that Banichi used.

Here's my directory structure for what it's worth:

mm4hVZD.png

and Google Drive link to the backtrace.

If anyone has any clues on what I should try next I'd really appreciate it.

sevdestruct

Barely Literate
I've been fighting this thing all weekend. Got ToEE in PlayonLinux Virtual Drive: /home/$USER/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/TempleElementalEvil_gog/drive_c/GOG Games/Temple of Elemental Evil.

Have Co8 Modpack installed and activated. Made the saved game folder and config file in: (TemplePlus.ini) in /home/$USER/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/TempleElementalEvil_gog/drive_c/users/$USER/Saved Games/TemplePlus

When running on TemplePlus.exe (wine TemplePlus.exe) it crashes

tiwUkLA.png

I've got dotnet40, dotnet45,dotnet452 and dotnet46 installed in winetricks. dotnet_verifier states all are installed. I've also installed vcrun2010-vcrun2015. d3dz9_43 is also installed. Earlier there was a post that Directx 11.1 was used, I'm using the latest wine 2.13 (staging) as well as wine 1.81 that Banichi used.

Here's my directory structure for what it's worth:

mm4hVZD.png

and Google Drive link to the backtrace.

If anyone has any clues on what I should try next I'd really appreciate it.

Has anyone else had any success with this? I've gotten just as far and Temple+ crashes with Runtime errors, stating request to terminate in an unusual way…

neckbird

Barely Literate
fyi to future nerds trying to get this working in wine, don't do this. In the current Temple+ version (56), an empty config causes the configuration to fail with an exception.

That said, there are other directx issues making the game incompatible with wine 2.19 anyhow.

LarkinVB

Novice
wine 3.11, TemplePlus.exe 1.0.64 crashes with

wine message :
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33bb84,0x00000000), stub!
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW (L"\\\\.\\DISPLAY1",0,0x339af0,0x00000000), stub!
0009:fixme:dxgi:DXGID3D10CreateDevice Ignoring flags 0x20.
0009:fixme:d2d:d2d_device_CreateDeviceContext iface 0x1a8598, options 0, context 0x1a7f64 stub!

and TemplePlus.log :
[2018-07-10 15:00:29.485] [core] [info] Creating window with dimensions 1920x1200
[2018-07-10 15:00:29.591] [core] [info] Enumerating DXGI display devices...
[2018-07-10 15:00:29.592] [core] [info] Adapter #0 'Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000'
[2018-07-10 15:00:29.592] [core] [info] Output #0 Device '\\.\DISPLAY1' Monitor 'X11 Windowing System'
[2018-07-10 15:00:29.599] [core] [info] Created D3D11 device with feature level 41216
[2018-07-10 15:00:29.600] [core] [info] Creating Direct2D Factory (debug=false).
[2018-07-10 15:00:29.601] [core] [warning] Direct3D Error 0x-7fffbfff @ mImpl->device->CreateDeviceContext( D2D1_DEVICE_CONTEXT_OPTIONS_NONE, &mImpl->context ):

Help is appreciated.

Prehistorik

Scholar
Got it to work!

I'm using wine-4.0-rc2, Temple+ 1.0.64 version.

Created a new win64 prefix, installed dotnet46 with winetricks (maybe also need vcrun2015), set to Windows 10 and use virtual desktop, run TemplePlus installer and directly exit.
After this run 'drive_c/users/pali/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/TemplePlus/TemplePlusConfig.exe' to configure
And then to play 'drive_c/users/pali/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/TemplePlus/TemplePlus.exe'

Did not try Co8.
Played around a bit, Temple+ features are working and there seems to be no issues.

Thanks Temple+ team!

Prehistorik

Scholar
After installing Co8 8.1.0 game hangs on the loading screen before starting new game (Shop Map). Works fine without T+ though.
Loading from save works, so not a big deal I guess.

tlk

Novice
As of now, attempting to install T+ via wine returns an error
g1I.png

As per this bug https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40613 it's impossible to work around without apparently compiling wine from source.(
Nice(((
Many hoops to jump thru to get TOEE working under WINE (GOG installer spews errors tho seems to do the job, Co8 needs Java which seems to have bugs of its own and conflicts with gallium-nine to boot, T+ needs Net) but this hurdle seems to be the proverbial straw ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

Any thoughts?

Ubuntu 20.04, Wine 5.0/5.5 (win32 prefix), T+ v1.0.83

tlk

Novice
Sigh.. hoped the .zip download would serve as the saving grace, but launching either the config or the main exe itself just results in a hang (after installing yet another version of Net...)
zaP.png

Any input on how to deal with running the current T+ on wine would be appreciated.

Or, alternatively, is it even needed if I'm up for my first ever playthrough? I have the Co8 installed obviously. I'm not planning on using any mods. Seems like there are a lot of QoL improvements and more importantly bug fixes all around... Guess I'd want to install it after all. However chances of that look rather grim now.

TIA.

Last edited:

tlk

Novice
Oh, it just needed a still newer version of Net... Gawd what a freakin mess.

PS Why do fan made projects love shifty frameworks and horribly bloated middleware so much???

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's not a proper linux experience if you don't have to spend a couple days for it to work :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom