Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Terra Invicta - sci-fi grand strategy from Long War mod creators - now available on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/terrainvicta/terra-invicta

https://www.pavonisinteractive.com

https://af.gog.com/game/terra_invicta?as=1649904300

Announced on their brand new website: http://www.longwarstudios.com/games.htm

Terra Invicta
Terra Invicta is a grand strategy game in which the player leads the defense of Earth during an alien invasion.

An alien force has arrived in the far reaches of Solar System and begun probing Earth's defenses and building an invasion fleet. The player must assemble a council of scientists, politicians, military leaders and operatives who can unite Earth's squabbling nations with the ultimate goal of taking the fight to the aliens in the high ground of outer space.

Grand strategy, huh? Fishing for a Paradox publishing deal?

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I though they dropped the LW project in alpha state, similar case like DayZ except no huge dosh gain happened.
Then BAM it's 1.0
Will test if after my XPirateZ playthrough.

Ah the project has been revealed.
Sounds like the political side of things has more than usual importance.
I wonder how different this'll be to Xenonauts 2.

Lucky

Arcane
This will be the first full game this team has worked on, right? I'm curious what they'll come up with when they have to start from scratch, rather than improve on work done by others.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I though they dropped the LW project in alpha state, similar case like DayZ except no huge dosh gain happened.
Then BAM it's 1.0
Will test if after my XPirateZ playthrough.
Not really. Long War is "complete", although plenty of people are upset it didn't get a few more rounds of polish and balancing. It should be noted that while there was a fuckton of activity on its forum, as soon as the devs announced it 'feature complete, bugfixes only' the post counts per day dropped by like 99%.

Their new project will be interesting. Long War had its cool bits and dumb bits.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Whether you love LW or not, at least we know these guys will make something interesting.
Not sure. LW only made cosmetic changes. LW only polished a turd, they didn't bring in any really big changes. Xcom 2 changes the game for the better more than LW did. Only advantage of LW over Xcom 2 is starting with 6 in squad and being able to go to 12 by end game.

Their next game will stand or fall on its own merits, not what they did with LW.

You can hardly compare XCOM-2 with LW; one is a mod, restricted by original design decisions, while the other is an entirely new AAA game. If nothing else, the LW devs efforts in rebalancing the game are meticulous and very effective given what they had to work with: they had to 16 entirely new classes, redistribute and redesign entire perk trees (and perks), and make sure that everything worked well together. And they did a very good job of it. That bodes well for their ability to design a new game. It's not guaranteed to be good, but given their track record I'd say they have a better shot at it than many devs.

ArchAngel

Arcane
No it does not. I just proves they are good at working with what is already there. We have yet to see if the new game will have proper cover, distance and AP system. All they did was turn a pompamole Xcom into less pompamole.
Creating a real Xcom clone that is actually good takes much more effort.
For example Xenonauts is 2x better than Long War.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some forum Q&As. They're indeed aiming for "grand strategy" than X-Com or XCOM clone:

At this point it's unlikely XCOM-style tactical combat will be part of TI -- we're including large-scale interstate warfare as well as smaller operations in the design, but those will be abstracted to keep the main focus on the strategy layer. We are planning a more detailed space warfare piece, and we've got a few designs that vary in level of player control.

Seems to me that if we did a squad-based tactical game, we'd want to make the tactical battles the primary layer where you spend most of your time, a la XCOM.

We haven't ruled out tactical completely, but we want to add more depth to the high-level strategy. In terms of gameplay and flow (as well as trying to keep a campaign a bit more manageable than the 150+ hours people were reporting for LW), it's really hard for the player to keep track of a long-term strategic plan if it's being constantly interrupted by 20-30 minute tactical battles.

We're also thinking of a much longer conflict time span -- something that justifies calling it "grand strategy". My current "strawman" is that a campaign would be somewhere around 50 years long. So something more on the order of the 30 Years War or the 80 years of the Dutch Independence war, and less like World War 2. If we trigger political stuff on Earth once a month (kinda sorta like a council report), that's roughly 600 "turns". In comparison, a standard campaign in something like Civ 5 is 500 turns if you drag it out to the end.

One reason to make the time span longer is that it just takes time to flit around the solar system. Even with something like a torchship (which basically has power output equal the entire Earth's current real-world power generation), it still takes weeks/months to get from Earth to outer solar system. With lower-tech stuff, it's going to be months/years. For example, the New Horizons mission took 9.5 years to get from Earth to Pluto with early 21st century tech (and without enough fuel/remass to stop and orbit). Not to mention New Horizons is hardly a vessel of war. :D

From http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/torchships.php

Add a week of coasting in the middle and you're at Jupiter. Saturn is about three weeks' travel, and you can reach distant Eris in 6 months.
Drive power output of our upgraded torchship is now 4.5 TW, about a third the current power output of the human race. Which in itself is no argument against it. Controlling the reaction and getting rid of the waste heat are more immediate concerns.

I mean, even light takes 8 minutes to get from Sun to Earth (1 AU), so getting out to the 50 AU range of the Kuiper Belt has a lower bound of ~7 hours at the speed of light. And accelerating to the relativistic speeds even at a killing 10 g's is on the order of weeks/months. So unless we go totally fantasy and add inertial-less drives, warp drives, or some sort of unlimited wormholes, it's just going to take time.

Anyhow, with 600-ish turns, there's no way the player could even do one 20 minute tactical battle per turn/month -- that would add up to 200 hours just for tactical (let alone the strategy-level gameplay!) which would be only for the most hardcore :| . So, we either have to streamline any such tactical-type stuff (i.e. stuff in space), or have fewer such events, so that many turns/months go by without any such happenings.

And of course a lot of this stuff is in flux still. We might trim the timeline down to 30 or 40 years (so 360 or 480 turns), or even make political stuff happen every 2 months instead of 1.

http://www.longwarstudios.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19

Also, this will trigger some people:

We're working in Unity. Art style is TBD, we're going to be looking for an art lead to join us soon.

http://www.longwarstudios.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22

ArchAngel

Arcane
No Tactical = no interest from me. I don't even care for GalCiv games for the same reason.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So the guys that created a popular mod for a TB squad/tactical strategy game are making...a 4X? I lost interest..

Stargazer_

They really should play to their strengths I mean if a hooker is really great at giving blowjobs but suddenly gives out titjobs despite having a b cup then it doesn't matter how good she is at giving blowjobs.

If they wanted to make a 4x they should infuse it with a healthy dose of TBS elements into it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

Apparently these guys renamed their studio to Pavonis Interactive in January: http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/09/26/terra-invicta-news/

Long War devs’ next game is XCOM at a galactic level

xlw5.jpg

We already knew that Pavonis Interactive, the team behind the RPS-approved, game-changing Long War mods for XCOM and XCOM 2, were working on a complete new game of their own, but seeing as Long War 2 has been in the wild for a while now, I thought I’d catch up with ’em about Terra Invicta. This takes the essential XCOM concept – humans fending off an alien invasion – then expands it to a grand strategy scale.

“It’s a little like what you might imagine the XCOM spokesman’s job to be,” Pavonis head John Lumpkin tells me, “trying to unify Earth’s nations against an alien threat.” And then it moves to cover the entire solar system.

Long War? More like longest war.

Lumpkin couldn’t talk about what, if any, direction we can expect Long War to take in the wake of the XCOM 2’s hectic but mostly very good new expansion pack – see our War Of The Chosen review for more on that – but he was able to reveal that “we’re now able to devote some resources to developing Terra Invicta.”

They’ve been quiet on that front for the past 18 months, but with the hardest work of Long War 2 out the way, they’re now working on it earnest. “Right we’re prototyping some key game systems,” says Lumpkin. “We’re hoping to have some things to show off early next year.” Which is good news, seeing as there’s nary of whiff of even a single screenshot right now.

17xcom2longwar.jpg

As for what we can expect from Terra Invicta, it is, as previously implied, ” an alien invasion of modern-day Earth, played out at a grand strategy level.” What it shares with the Long Wars mods, other than theme, is that it will (hopefully) be “rich with the sort of difficult choices that drive a great story for the player”, and a big part of that will be politicking.

The XCOM games involve a little bit of budgetary management, but really they’re straight up war games. Whatever it is that is encouraging nations (or resistance cells) to pump cash into the XCOM kitty happens essentially off-camera, but imagine what it would it would take to make all of our world’s countries join together against one threat. Sounds like this is the furrow that Terra Invicta seeks to plough.

“It’s a little like what you might imagine the XCOM spokesman’s job to be, trying to unify Earth’s nations against an alien threat. The design has politics, espionage and warfare, both on Earth and in space.”

The most tantalising aspect for me is that, though initially you’re working with an XCOM-style Earth geoscape, “as the campaign progresses, the entire Solar System becomes an equally important theater of conflict.”

Though Pavonis has two very large and well-received mods under their belt, this is their first time making a complete game of their own. The difference between them and the usual modders-gone-pro parable is that XCOM 2 devs Firaxis provided some support for Long War 2 – which has had an impact on Terra Invicta’s development.

“Working with 2K and Firaxis to produce Long War 2 was hugely instructive,” explains Lumpkin. “They really were great to us and we were able to learn about good practices in structured game development, which was a switch from the way we developed the original Long War on-the-fly. We’ve also learned a great deal from the players we’ve interacted with – what they like and don’t like, what kinds of problems and reversals are engaging versus those that are just frustrating.”

XCOM-2-soldier-mod.jpg

Long War 2 isn’t exactly afraid to turn the thumbscrews, so it’ll be fascinating to see whether or not Terra Invicta goes a little easier on less full-blooded strategy players.

Of course, Long War’s original purpose was to try and improve a Firaxis game that some felt had drifted too far from the original X-COM, the peerless 1994 turn-based strategy game without which we would have no XCOM. Which rather begs the question of what direction Lumpkin and Pavonis would want a theoretical XCOM 3 to go in? “We’ve got our own great idea for a science fictional turn-based tactics game, but I want Pavonis to make it someday after Terra Invicta is out in the world, so I’m going to keep quiet there.”

Of course, they’ll also have X-COM creator Julian Gollop’s upcoming Phoenix Point to contend with…

No release date for Terra Invicta yet, but Long War 2, a free mod for XCOM 2, is available now.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Terra Invicta is a grand strategy game in which the player leads the defense of Earth during an alien invasion.

An alien force has arrived in the far reaches of Solar System and begun probing Earth's defenses and building an invasion fleet. The player must assemble a council of scientists, politicians, military leaders and operatives who can unite Earth's squabbling nations with the ultimate goal of taking the fight to the aliens in the high ground of outer space.

Status: In production; preparing crowdfunding campaign and seeking publisher

First Dev Diary published on nov 7:

Some caveats: We've got no regular plan for dev diary updates yet, but with the end of our XCOM work I wanted to describe in general terms our vision for Terra Invicta. Release of the game is still a long way off, and I want to emphasize this is where the design stands now and NOT a pledge that all these features will be in the game. We may not be able to afford all of them, or we may test them and find they aren't fun, or they may be technically too tough to pull off.

We're billing Terra Invicta as a "grand strategy alien invasion game." The player leads a transnational faction of humans who are dedicated to resisting the aliens' infiltration and invasion of modern-day Earth. Other factions on Earth see the alien arrival in a different light and will be working against you for their own ends. We hope to let you play those other factions, too, but we're building the initial story around what we're calling the "Resist" faction. (It will get a more imaginative name in-game.)

The player's overall goal is to harness Earth's resources to both fortify Earth and challenge the aliens in space, where they are building an industrial base in the far reaches of the Solar System to support their planned invasion. Earth's nations are unable to form a coherent policy on their own to deal with the aliens; the various factions will instead be competing for influence within individual countries around the globe, and once they have it, they will be able to direct those nations' politics, economies and militaries. Several factions, including the player's, will attempt to direct those resources toward industrializing space and building a space fleet to take on alien forces. The aliens themselves will be working to subvert Earth's governments until they can bring their heaviest forces to bear.

What does the player actually control?

Each faction is led by a small team of councilors, who travel around the world and, as the campaign develops, into space. These can be diplomats, spies, military commanders, tycoons, even celebrities and criminals. They vie for influence in the world's nations, investigate alien landings, and hunt councilors from other factions. The player may also direct national armies, build space stations and surface habitats, and command space warships in battle.

How is the game "grand strategy?"

We're using the term for two primary reasons: One, the action moves in pausable real-time, similar to Paradox titles, although at regular intervals where the game will stop and ask you to position your councilors all at once. Two, we're starting with a high-level simulation of Earth's current geopolitics, and imposing the alien invasion narrative upon it. While our space development piece is more 4X-ish in that you are industrializing from scratch, your ability to do so will be grounded in your ability to steer Earth's nations to your banner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom