Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Terran Shield: Edge of the Abyss - X-COM: Terror from the Deep spiritual successor

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/419885320/terran-shield-edge-of-the-abyss
Kickstarter 2: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/terranshield/terran-shield-edge-of-the-abyss-0
Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/terran-shield-edge-of-the-abyss#/

http://www.terran-shield.com

Fight%20for%20the%20treasure.jpg

An old style TBS game in new clothes and with new features:http://www.terran-shield.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Few TBS games approach this ideal combination, the most notable ones being the X-COM and Jagged Alliance series.

Now, we are introducing a new one. A series which is set to rise to the level of its predecessors and further the legacy of our beloved TBS squad games: the Terran Shield series

Also:
> time units
> environmental effects
> all kinds of stats like battery level, water filter clogging level, blood oxygen level, testosterone level

Ooh boy. Assuming you'll reply to this, you do realise that you guys now have tremendous expectations to live up to, especially in these parts, right?

Looks like Terror from the Deep on steroids.

#Edit- Are you a dev _Arhaeus_? You might as well come out now.
Wait, this site has got plans for crowdfunding to reach $435000

Last edited:

Citizen

Terror of the deep remake?
TERROR OF THE DEEP REMAKE?

Interface looks like Apocalypse.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why do you crowdfund through your own site? Given that you are unknown, I doubt many players will trust you enough for that.

Other than that, it looks great, but why so many concept artists, and so few programmers?

Last edited:

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
Yes, I am the developer of Terran Shield.

As a longtime fan of old TBS games I want to have a game to replace the old ones, both as replayability and feeling. As long as people even nowadays play X-COM EU, TftD, Apocalypse, JA2 UB over and over again, as long as EU has 1,1 mil pieces sold on steam since 2008 (http://steamspy.com/app/7760), TftD and Apocalypse over 600k, it means something is wrong. That thing is that we don't have a game that is AT LEAST as good as those games.

Could Terran Shield be that game?

I will do everything in my power for it to be that, even if it means finishing the project with a small team and little money (in 6 years rather than 2).

Not only because people want a highly replayable TBS, but because I want to enjoy playing that kind of game. If players want to move-shoot-scout-move-shoot or throw-move-shoot-move, why not? If players want to go with 20 units on a mission and others want to have a team of 10 immortals (to keep them alive from day one to the end of the game) why not give them that choice? Microprose did that in ‘94 and we can’t do it now. Why not?

Do we need a TftD on steroids? We definitely do!

TU is not a design problem in itself, it can become a problem if you consider your player lazy and with a low IQ, so he’s dazzled with those numbers and it is too difficult for him to manage moving, facing, shooting, hiding, accessing the inventory. I have nothing against the players who want to play with the new X-COM system. In fact, we will have an alternative similar system in Terran Shield, so the players can switch between TU or the simplified system before a mission.

I love that testosterone insertion in that comment above :).

I plan a lot of new things, like the electrosensors view below:

electrosensors%20view.jpg

Regarding the campaign goal, it is a reasonable one if you develop the game in Eastern Europe. Less than 400k and you risk remaining out of steam at the end of the development process. If you try to make it in Western Europe or US you will need at least double that money. I don’t know what Bears Pit did with JA Flashback, but there’s always a risk in any business for things to go wrong. Phoenix Point’s initial goal was 500k and they are doing all right developing the game in Bulgaria. We’ll do the same in Romania, plus TU and all the new stuff.

Rest assured that we’ll let no rock unturned with all the new features that open x-com or you the fans suggest. We will analyze them all during the Terran Shield development and test them in beta.

Until then, you can grab those Terran Shield Limited Edition packs at 15$, 3000 pieces are not many (we don’t plan another sale soon).

We plan a usual crowdfunding campaign and more details will follow in the upcoming weeks. Meanwhile, those who want to help the development process can do it directly through our site.

There are a lot of assets that can aid in the beginning of the development, so we don't need many programmers for the time being.

Last edited:

PanteraNera

Arcane
I don’t know what Bears Pit did with JA Flashback
:notsureifserious:
Bears Pit is the biggest most active Jaggen Alliance 2 community to date. Also you will find Ja 2 1.13 there. If you are seriously into Jagged Alliance 2 you should know about them, and I personall would say my dream X-Com-like-game would have Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 elements in it.

Which brings me to my first question, manually crouch and prone, yes/no?

Are you going to do tripple-A graphics? How important are graphics for you?

Would you rather make a good game or a commercially successful?

Are you going to play with open cards and release the game-design-document, so people can see where the ride will go?

How frequent do you want to make progress updates?

Last edited:

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
I know about them very well, I don't know what happened internally in that company and why they did fail.

"Which brings me to my first question, manually crouch and prone, yes/no?"

Definitely Yes!
It will be a great way to enhance your chance to hit, the only problem is underwater where you have to find a gun support (rock, coral etc...).

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
"Are you going to do tripple-A graphics? How important are graphics for you?"

The Unreal Engine already offers a lot in terms of lighting, effects, blueprints etc… Other than that, we know we can’t compete with a large budget development company, so we will focus on gameplay and polishing the game.

If we wanted a commercial game, we wouldn’t bother with so many features and the advanced AI.

We will not release the game-design-document, but we’ll make constant updates about the progress on a weekly basis on the News page on our site.

“Why? All of the games with two different combat systems (at least the ones I played) had both of them screwed up.”

That’s why we will have the beta phase. If that system doesn’t work, we won’t implement it. The TU system is essential, we won’t release the game without it.

PanteraNera

Arcane
I know about them very well, I don't know what happened internally in that company and why they did fail.
Well Bear's Pit (the community) supported JA Flashback (from the developer "Full Control")the best they could, had high hopes for the game, but it failed to deliver.

"Which brings me to my first question, manually crouch and prone, yes/no?"

Definitely Yes!
It will be a great way to enhance your chance to hit, the only problem is underwater where you have to find a gun support (rock, coral etc...).
incline.png

"Are you going to do tripple-A graphics? How important are graphics for you?"

The Unreal Engine already offers a lot in terms of lighting, effects, blueprints etc… Other than that, we know we can’t compete with a large budget development company, so we will focus on gameplay and polishing the game.
incline.png

If we wanted a commercial game, we wouldn’t bother with so many features and the advanced AI.
Thing is, as nobody has done this in the last years (or decade?), maybe it would be commercial successful, but that might be fabulously optimistic.
So you want to make a modern game, with gameplay of the classics, without compromising?

We will not release the game-design-document, but we’ll make constant updates about the progress on a weekly basis on the News page on our site.
Why will you not release the game-design-document? Afraid someone else might use it? I think that is doubtful, as you said yourself that nobody is interested in doing a game like that in the first place.
What will the weekly updates contain? Who is dedicated to write them?

“Why? All of the games with two different combat systems (at least the ones I played) had both of them screwed up.”

That’s why we will have the beta phase. If that system doesn’t work, we won’t implement it. The TU system is essential, we won’t release the game without it.
Why do you want to make two systems in the first place? For a broader target-audience?

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
So you want to make a modern game, with gameplay of the classics, without compromising?

That’s the idea. Let’s suppose that during the development process we encounter problems like: What do we do here because this thing works in isometric view, but it’s not working in 3D? We post the problem on the Terran Shield forum with the possible solutions. Look guys, here is the problem… What do we do?

If we and the community can only find a compromise solution, then we’ll go ahead with that choice.

Why will you not release the game-design-document?

We won’t release the game-design-document mainly to avoid spoilers about the story, alien types and their synergies, weapons and equipment. You will know all about the aliens that we plan to put in the beta version. Right now we plan to have the Jellyfish scout, Ka-Um-La and Ud’Glee, maybe 1-2 more, we will see.

What will the weekly updates contain?

They will contain anything new, from damage calculation to Geoscape updates, bases, alien behavior etc…

Who is dedicated to write them?

We have moderators on our site that will post on the News page and also on the forum.

Why do you want to make two systems in the first place? For a broader target-audience?

We are taking that into consideration because it seems that there are also players who prefer the new X-COM system and also because we can do both systems in Unreal Engine without major technical problems. We will see that more specifically when we finish the TU system implementation.

_Arhaeus_ is melee combat in?

Yes, it is an important part of the combat. In low visibility waters it will be the only way, for sure. You can see that some of the aquanauts are specialized in melee, like Luukas Heikkila: ”In combat, he is Ana's team scout and melee warrior, taking the first move in every battle, leading the front and constantly pushing and pressing the aliens foe in retreat.”

So tell me everything about this advanced AI.

The whole Terran Shield project started when I talked with my middle school colleague and friend Florian Razvan (one of the most brilliant minds I have ever met) about making a game with an advanced AI. Can you do an AI that can do this and that? Yes, it is doable nowadays. Great, I have been cooking a strategy game for over 20 years now, let’s make it!

If you want more about the AI there is a whole section about it on our site: http://www.terran-shield.com/game/strategy.htm

I will post more about the AI on Terran Shield forum in the Tactic or Strategy threads.

And...
Thanks JarlFrank and everyone for the encouragements!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Good call putting a hot blonde, especially one that kinda looks like Amber Heard, as the center & focus portrait in your screenshot.

Looks interesting, will be following.

lightbane

Arcane
> all kinds of stats like battery level, water filter clogging level, blood oxygen level, testosterone level

Will male units that get that stat to low quantities suddenly change their hair to pink/violet, start refering themselves as a "she" and be a nuisance in general? :troll:

Now seriously, this looks good. More "proper" XCOM games are a must.

Will there be Chrysalids/Tentaculats equivalents?

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
Good call putting a hot blonde, especially one that kinda looks like Amber Heard, as the center & focus portrait in your screenshot.

Blame Rick Stenk for his blonde wife. :) No, seriously, they were a strong couple, not like many couple nowadays.

Will there be Chrysalids/Tentaculats equivalents?

Not at the moment. Because I could't come up with the scientific explanation for the fast evolving Alien movie like cocoon inside the human host. If you read the aquanaut suit details, they have a strong scientific base. The other aliens also have a planet of origin, an environment where they perfected their abilities, so there is a scientific explanation behind all of them.
We have a pledge pack that lets the backers design an alien type. If the players want that type of alien in the game, we can force some fast growing amoeba (like in the old The Blob movie) or a worm creature. But a fully grown adult specimen that appears within 2 minutes from an implanted egg is a bit too much.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
USE UNDERRAIL'S SYSTEM TO GIVE PLAYERS AN EASY TIME MANIPULATING AND UNDERSTANDING TIME UNITS

Also good luck with development :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom