Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Turjan

Arcane
I guess they wanted to keep players busy when they are basically done with the game and those on multiplayer. Also, there's people who construct these awesome contraptions:

As soon as something like this works, you are probably really done with the game. But hats off for figuring this out. I'm lacking the patience to get that deep into the game's mechanics.

For more info and world download, see here.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
*watches video*

:hmmm:

And here I thought Terraria wasn't an Autism Detection Software kit...but just more of a OCD Detection Software kit. But no...

Final update: I did another run of the Moon-Moon Lord, using the exact same tactics, to achieve only one goal: To get enough Luminite for the Drill Containment Unit. Two Moon-Moon Lord fights (on Expert Mode) were just enough for that so...

:yeah:OH GOD, IT'S HEAVAN!

It is truly the Destroyer of Worlds. It carves through pesky mountains in seconds. A Hellevator should only take a few minutes to make with this thing. The only downside is that you can't use anything else while flying in it, but that's a small price to pay once you're in endgame-gear.

On a related note, second Moon-Moon lord Treasure Bag got me the Terrarian, so after a few short side-steps (including burning through a Frost Moon event with the Meowwere) I now only need 17 more Angler Quests done to complete all the achievements for this game. That's gonna be some AFK-session in the near future, but once that's done I'm not touching this game again...on Steam. GOG sells a DRM-free copy now, so I'll be hopping over to that when/if I ever feel like playing this game again.

A few other notes:

# The Suspicious Looking Tentacle is not that hot of an item. It's a vamped-up Spelunker Glowstick combined with the Wisp in a Bottle...only without the Wisp's awesome manual guidance control. I may be missing out on some awesome hidden feature here, but after some testing it's just taking up space in my Pet Chest now.

# The Gravity Globe, the other Expert Mode-exclusive drop from the Moon-Moon Lord, makes Gravitation Potions redundant, and opens up a whole new page on how to deal with a few bosses. The King Slime fight should be hilarious with this, for example.

# Remember when I said you would almost always have need for Iron/Lead? I've now realized the importance of Gold/Platinum in this regard, and Copper/Tin to a lesser extent. So my suggestion is to always keep a full stack of these ores around...you never know when you need to make something out of them. (Fuck Silver/Tungsten.)

# I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The Stardust Dragon is just Plain. Fucking. Awesome. With Awesomesauce on top. Remember all those situations when you're trying to get something done and you keep getting interrupted by some monsters constantly appearing? Here's your answer. You'll almost forget that it's an endgame-item you've been striving towards all this time because of how awesome it is. (Now if only they could make it look like Falcor from The Neverending Story, instead of that glory being taken by the damn Wyvern.)

# Earlier I mentioned that fishing, as an activity, was fucked up in general. After some consideration I'll revise that statement to say this: It's a tacked-on gameplay addition that blows at the start of Terraria and at the end of Terraria, but is actually quite nice from around the 1/3rd part of the game until the 4/5ths part of the game. It makes for great supplementary income, it can help you get items that R'NG the Dice God denied you during world creation, it can help you get better items than the stuff you currently have, and some of the potions you can craft with those weird fish you can catch make a TON of difference to the game, especially the boss fights and Pumpkin Moon/Frost Moon events. But once you're done with Duke Fishron, you're pretty much done with fishing.

# On that note, a small tool-tip: Bait can be put in an ammo slot.

# The Nurse is not just someone who heals you - she also heals other NPCs she can reach with her "healing attack" (a weak thrown weapon). Keep this in mind when considering how your NPCs are arranged in general.

But yeah, stick a fork in my Terrarian arse, I'm done.

Turjan

Arcane
Fishing. I think I lost my patience at around 125 quests. Who knows, maybe I'll go back to that one day.

Talking about the Moon Lord and elaborate setups, there's also this speed kill:

You have to redo this every time...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Fishing. I think I lost my patience at around 125 quests. Who knows, maybe I'll go back to that one day.

Talking about the Moon Lord and elaborate setups, there's also this speed kill:

You have to redo this every time...

Let's see - he spends a long-ass time setting everything up, has slaughtered almost 200.000 crabs to get there, needs to "load" the machine with an estimated 30-minute prep time costing lots of in-game money...all for 3.5 seconds of action?

"Virgin's Guide to Sex: The Video"

Turjan

Arcane
Let's see - he spends a long-ass time setting everything up, has slaughtered almost 200.000 crabs to get there, needs to "load" the machine with an estimated 30-minute prep time costing lots of in-game money...all for 3.5 seconds of action?

"Virgin's Guide to Sex: The Video"
In principle, for stuff like that, I'm happy there's YouTube. It's nice to see you can do insane stuff like that, but I'd never spend the time to actually do that.

The last video before that on the other side, which is from a different guy, shows a setup that is endlessly reusable. I still wouldn't build such a thing, but I can admire it for what it achieves. What I actually built was his low-tech Pumpkin Moon arena, which is very simple and works. You have to spend 2 platinum on cannonballs per run, but the Pumpkin Moon gives multiples of that back, which is okay.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
And here I was, thinking "Terraria doesn't contain as much Autism as Minecraft"...when I was made aware of two things.

One: Check the Steam Discussions for Terraria - and despair. :abyssgazer:

Two: These are being released as we speak:

cover.jpg.rendition.460.707.png

I wonder if they include stuff from the (still unreleased at the time of this post) 1.3.3 update?

Turjan

Arcane
I love this game, but it requires two things I lack: patience and quick reflexes.
I've been trying to git gud since it was released and I STILL SUCK :negative:
I don't have quick reflexes, either. Which means that, for me, Duke Fishron is probably the most difficult boss. I had to grind Golem for the Possessed Hatchet and get a Cosmic Car Key from Martian Invasions for this to finally work. I enjoy the game, nevertheless.

It's things that run suboptimally that make this game interesting. My first encounter with the Pillars didn't go too well. My char died pretty much the same moment as the Ancient Cultist, but it counted. Unfortunately, I had my spawn point on one of the Pillar spawn points (now I know to avoid that), and on respawn, I had the Nebula Pillar (which is, for me, the most difficult) directly above my shack there. Enemies don't despawn at death, so it was happy insta-dying until I was able to remove my char's spawn point from the place. It's things like this which are memorable for me in this game.

Of course, with endgame gear, there's no real challenge anymore with those Pillars. Which is on one way satisfying, but on the other hand, it's a bit boring. But I guess that's the feeling of being done with something.

Turjan

Arcane
And here I was, thinking "Terraria doesn't contain as much Autism as Minecraft"...when I was made aware of two things.

One: Check the Steam Discussions for Terraria - and despair. :abyssgazer:
You mean something related to this?

Two: These are being released as we speak:

I wonder if they include stuff from the (still unreleased at the time of this post) 1.3.3 update?
Heh, if you look at your point #1, it explains #2. There are lots of people who cannot play the game without guidance, and I guess that, without the wiki, I would have been stuck a few times. Then again, I prefer the wiki. Much easier to find stuff you need. Plus, it's free.

As for elements of the 1.3.3. update, I'm not sure. Who releases these? I'm also not sure there will be many changes in 1.3.3. It's one of the minor updates after all. I'm looking forward to it, anyway.

Speaking about autism, how is your quest for the "Supreme Helper Minion" achievement going? :D

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Speaking about autism, how is your quest for the "Supreme Helper Minion" achievement going? :D

Heh.

Actually much simpler than one would think. One of the more annoying things that the game tries to force upon the player, is that he can only have one Quest fish at a time. However, sticking a freshly-caught Quest fish into the Piggy Bank/Safe allows another Quest Fish to be caught, so a stockpile can be built up in a single day.

Using the stockpile I'd already amassed (plus a few turns of the Enchanted Sundial) I was able to wrap up the remaining Angler Quests in a couple of hours while doing other stuff - which is little different than idling a game on Steam for the card drops.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the fact that Terraria has no manual and requires a wiki to be played in any manner close to normal, is a Major Failure for the game in several ways.

One: It comes down to the community to "write" the manual, which is only a step up or so from having 1000 monkeys write a work of fiction.

Two: If the game is successful enough, the contents of the wiki will be used to publish handbooks such as the ones presented above. The community gets Nothing for their hard work except a Price Tag on the books, while the devs get Free Money.

Three: These handbooks tend to become obsolete within a year of release, at the latest, so why bother?

Conclusion: You'd have to suffer from brain damage to even consider buying one of these books, which is why I call them Autism Detection Kits.

Turjan

Arcane

Heh.

Actually much simpler than one would think. One of the more annoying things that the game tries to force upon the player, is that he can only have one Quest fish at a time. However, sticking a freshly-caught Quest fish into the Piggy Bank/Safe allows another Quest Fish to be caught, so a stockpile can be built up in a single day.

Using the stockpile I'd already amassed (plus a few turns of the Enchanted Sundial) I was able to wrap up the remaining Angler Quests in a couple of hours while doing other stuff - which is little different than idling a game on Steam for the card drops.
I also stick the fish into barrels and then deliver with four different chars, which speeds things up. However, it's still utterly boring, so I'm still not done with this. I guess I should also use the Enchanted Sundial, just to wrap it up. One day...

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the fact that Terraria has no manual and requires a wiki to be played in any manner close to normal, is a Major Failure for the game in several ways.

One: It comes down to the community to "write" the manual, which is only a step up or so from having 1000 monkeys write a work of fiction.

Two: If the game is successful enough, the contents of the wiki will be used to publish handbooks such as the ones presented above. The community gets Nothing for their hard work except a Price Tag on the books, while the devs get Free Money.

Three: These handbooks tend to become obsolete within a year of release, at the latest, so why bother?

Conclusion: You'd have to suffer from brain damage to even consider buying one of these books, which is why I call them Autism Detection Kits.
Okay, I can see that. There are quite a few errors in the wiki, and some stuff still hasn't been brought up to 1.3 standards. Especially the actual "Guides" section still needs lots of work. I hope they didn't just publish those. Then again, I won't look at those books, so I don't specifically care. This probably caters to those people who need something "official". Yes, they exist.

Turjan

Arcane
I also stick the fish into barrels

There is more flavour in that compared to the piggy bank/safe.
Well, I also have to use the piggy bank for transfer. I'm sure that the Cat will also put the fish somewhere else afterwards.

By the way, the obvious solution to the achievement issue is "more characters". That's something I should be able to do quickly.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Actually, the achievement tracks fishing progress across multiple characters and worlds.

True, but players should keep in mind that therre are several "milestone" awards in the Fish Quests that are only tracked across a single character, like the Golden Fishing Rod only being given after having done 50 Quests...which I believe is the last such award given out.

Turjan

Arcane
Actually, the achievement tracks fishing progress across multiple characters and worlds.

True, but players should keep in mind that therre are several "milestone" awards in the Fish Quests that are only tracked across a single character, like the Golden Fishing Rod only being given after having done 50 Quests...which I believe is the last such award given out.
I know, and if I'm not mistaken there's also something after the 75th hardmode quest, but I may not remember that correctly. However, I just wanted to be done, which means I got that final achievement.

Now I can wait till 1.3.3 hits.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That always seemed like an odd choice to me. I mean, you're basically trading time spent exploring the new content in hard mode for time spent fishing. Is fishing really more enjoyable than dicking around in the underground hallow?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
That always seemed like an odd choice to me. I mean, you're basically trading time spent exploring the new content in hard mode for time spent fishing. Is fishing really more enjoyable than dicking around in the underground hallow?
I dick around in the underground hallow after I have post plantera gear.

Turjan

Arcane
I never got the point of fishing in this game tbh...
In principle, it's awesome. Fish a Reavershark, and you have the best pre-hardmode and early hardmode pickaxe that also mines Hellstone, Palladium and Cobalt. I only made a Molten Pickaxe to get the achievement, otherwise the latter one sucks in comparison. The Rockfish is a good hammer and a formidable weapon. The Frog Leg and the Balloon Pufferfish are nice jump accessories. The Swordfish is a spear. Bomb Fish are sticky bombs. The Sawtooth Shark is a chainsaw.

And some stuff from the crates is great. Many fish are potion ingredients. Also, if you cook the fish, it's the easiest way to get the "well fed" buff.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
In order to get hardmode metals, you have to destroy altars. Each destroyed altar will plant a new spot of corruption/crimson or hallow on your map, in addition to the initial V. For people who want to preserve some pre-hardmode biomes, that is worth a thought. Imagine both your oceans get corrupted.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

It isn't, but neither is searching for ore in an area full of enemies that hit you 100-200 damage.
Being able to fish equipment is pretty dumb though. If you find a reaver shark you pretty much instantly beat prehardmode, and the crystal serpent is a really potent magic weapon.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The way I see it, it is already way too easy to get powerful quickly after hitting hard mode, and never find 90% of the content in it until it's all complete garbage. Found a beehive? Pyramid? Enchanted sword cave? Welp too bad you already have a megashark with an endless supply of cursed bullets, so none of that shit is even remotely useful. Fishing just makes that problem even worse.

Turjan

Arcane
In principle, I see this as one of the strengths of the game. It allows for many different kinds of play styles. I don't find it particularly great to waste my time with different metal pickaxes. I can skip most of them by trying to get the Reaver Shark. On the other hand, many people pretty much completely skip the pre-hardmode jungle and make a beeline to the Dungeon, while I spend tons of time in the jungle in order to get all the armors, weapons and accessories from there. Then again, I don't do speedruns. I even spend time to build minecart systems. Also, I think much content only exists for collectors (like pearlwood armors and tools).

I don't think fishing matters much in hardmode though. You get a few nice tools, potions and decorative clutter as quest rewards. And finding that elusive third tier hardmode ore is a bit tedious, even if the Underworld is one of the safest areas in earliest hardmode (before Red Devils spawn). Although I have to admit that I wasn't too unhappy to have Titanium armor in an Adamantite world.

Regarding the Megashark, I think I used that one once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom