Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Palikka

Arcane
Been playing some more. Taking it slow to try to catch the small differences.

That many item stacks now go higher is a blessing in almost every instance... but in one notable instance it left me in a bit of a pickle: Torches. Building up a stack of them now takes considerable effort, to the point that I was suffering from gel shortage for quite some time. This slowed me down in the first steps, which is something I was concerned the 1.4-update would do in general.

I just buy the torches from the merchant. 50 copper per torch.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Ocean Pylon will be another life-saver as well once I bother to walk over there and make some homes for the Angler and the Golfer (and good riddance to them!).
You don't need it, I got some sort of 'shell' that teleports me to the furthest ocean, which I've been using to visit the oceans on my world.
Works similar to the magic/ice mirror

I've been playing for 300+ in-game days and only had a single Blood Moon.
There's a new item called 'Bloody Tear' that drops from blood moon enemies, which you can use to summon a Blood Moon.
According to the wiki, the Bride/Groom spawn in a graveyard biome (but rarely), so you can farm for one there.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just got a new weapon from the Traveling Merchant, the Grey Zapator. It's a single-shot raygun with strange randomized effects, like a super-slow shot or one that bounces off the ground.

Has a base damage of 42 AND benefits from the Meteorite Armor bonus, so it can be super-useful.

The Decline

Arcane
The Ocean Pylon will be another life-saver as well once I bother to walk over there and make some homes for the Angler and the Golfer (and good riddance to them!).
You don't need it, I got some sort of 'shell' that teleports me to the furthest ocean, which I've been using to visit the oceans on my world.
Works similar to the magic/ice mirror

The magic conch.

I'm incredibly dumbfounded on the very concept that the "master" difficulty managed to actually be easier than expert once you arrive into hardmode.
I've managed to beat the game with a friend who had only played the game once before on expert, thanks to the sheer power of an extra accessory and the fastest flying mount being given out sheer minutes into hardmode thanks to our comfy main housing being located at the Ocean.

While I still consider the game very solid and fun for the price, it is very sad to see that the "final big last update" released on an anniversary with 3 years of hype behind it managed to be a wet fart compared to the majority of updates that came before it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
More thoughts and impressions:

# Meteorite ore got a balancing pass. Meteorites now only start falling after the Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu has been defeated. What's worse, meteorite ore can no longer be done away with by explosives, you have to get in there and get dirty with the pickaxe. This ups the difficulty for new players considerably, but it also makes Meteor Head Banners VERY VALUABLE, to the point players might want to just hang around and kill 50 Meteor Heads to get it before starting mining. Also, a balancing change was that a Meteorite-biome now needs 75 blocks of it to spawn Meteor Heads, and not 50.

# On the note of meteorites, have you been checking out the background in Terraria? You can see loads of interesting stuff there, and some of it is relevant to what's going on in the world. Most importantly, if you pay attention to the sky just before midnight, you can see the meteorite as it's about to crash into the world. A really cool addition.

# Hearing about that Ocean-Travel-Without-A-Boat Magic Conch makes me feel confused. On one hand the Pylons have got long-distance travel sorted, and yet they add an item that teleports people to the end of the world (on the horizontal plane)? What for? That's redundant. What Terraria really needs is a vertical end-of-the-world teleporter. You know, a Hell Conch. Sends you straight down to Hell based on your horizontal position. Obviously not an item to be gained before entering Hell (unless it's one-use, like a potion).

# By that same logic, a Space Conch (or potion) would be an interesting addition, get sent straight up to the top of the world based on your horizontal position.

# What I've always felt was lacking in the game was a reason to return to Hell after you've defeated the Wall of Flesh; one new enemy and an NPC just doesn't cut it for me. I would like to see a non-essential boss fight (but with cool drops) take place down there. No effort is required for it: We have King Slime, we now have Queen Slime, so why not a Prince of Hellslime? You know, a giant ball of lava bouncing around the place? Sure would provide a challenge in that environment.

# Another biome that I feel could use a boss is the Ice Biome. So far I've only seen it on the surface since 1.4, my world didn't spawn with a clear access point down to the Underground of it, but unless something drastic has changed the Ice Biome is Easy Mode in Terraria. I think it could use a little more (sp)ice.

# If you've been playing Terraria long enough while hanging around ducks, you know that there's an Easter Egg attached to them. That same Easter Egg is also attached to the owls.
owl.png

# After having played around with the Gray Zapator... I can safely say this is one of the more lulzier weapons in the game. It fires a blue ray that insta-travels (as they do). BUT as the weapon is said to be broken, some side effects may occur. The beam may bounce back the way it came. It may bounce off at an angle. It may 'repeat' itself, leading to multiple hits against the same target. It may knock enemies back with greater knockback effect than you've ever seen before (they literally fly off the screen). But the funniest one of all is the Ultra-Slow Moving Ray. It crawls so slowly around, and any monster that runs into the tip of it is doomed to death. The best thing is, there's a Hardmode upgrade of the weapon available. :D

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I was more prescient than I thought. There is an item called the Demon Conch in the game and is acquired by fishing in Hell. It does exactly as it says on the tin.

(Or if you're lazy you can just set up the Cavern Pylon VERY DEEP down.)

Turjan

Arcane
I was playing around with this some. I had looked at master mode, and I found the item spam quite exhausting. There's lots of new buff items (many foods), the falling stars fall like crazy, and then there's the exploits. Looks like the new "mount" you get from the pirate invasion makes wings mostly redundant, at least above ground. It's faster than bosses and even does ram damage.

I was also looking at my old world that I've been using as main base for ages now. It's nice to see the mosses spread everywhere, and I also added some of the new glowing ones. Saves torches in some areas. I would have to build an oasis though, and even the master world I tried out failed to generate one. There are several new biome chests in fishing. The new gem trees look nice, but they are more of a gimmick. Gives you something to decorate your cavern base with, which you are supposed to build now.

Not sure whether I like babysitting my NPC's. Okay, most of them I don't care about anyway, so it doesn't really matter that much. Also, it isn't too stringent, you don't have to (and really cannot) fulfill all their wishes. At least you have a pre-hardmode transport network that way.

In my old world, I was building the new endgame "melee" weapon (I use that term loosely), which is supposed to cap off your Terraria experience. As I'm a packrat, I had basically everything lying around somewhere (took me a while to find everything though). Yikes. It's a "sword", but basically some whirling boomerang made of several swords, the reach goes beyond the screen edge, and seeing damage per second numbers in tens of thousands isn't unusual. You basically point your cursor in the general direction of a threat, and autoswing does the rest. This includes bosses. Some don't even get their initial roar fully out. Or in other words, that weapon doesn't really seem to be made for play. It's something you can say you have it, but it's certainly not fun to play with it (well, trying it out the first time is fun though :) ). I guess it's some kind of retirement piece. Given what you need to do to actually get it, it means you played pretty much everything the game has to offer, and you're good.

Regarding biomes, I like the idea of the oasis (surface desert), though I've yet to experience it. I haven't built my graveyard yet, either, but I intend to do that soon. Underground desert got even more annoying. It's lots of risk for little reward. If you like that, be my guest, but I guess I'll still be going to the underground jungle first and foremost, which I loved before and still love (at least as soon as I get a grip on handling poisoning). Probably because not much if anything changed there. Surface jungle got bamboo. Nice building material, if you are into that.

I love the new mushroom biome. It basically looks now the way I usually rebuilt the ones I was going to use for myself :D . Saves me some work.

Not sure what to think of that new ocean "cave" that spawns on many worlds. Well, I guess it makes sense on smaller worlds where the ocean doesn't have much floor to put anything.

The dungeon got a major overhaul. You better have a good grasp of your grappling hook use, as large sections of floor or walls may just collapse and throw you into deep rooms completely covered in spikes. I like the idea in general, but I thought the spike overuse now gets a bit much. I can see most people love that though. Maybe.

I love those new secret seeds. I made a few worlds with them, and wow... Those are real game changers.

So I'm a bit torn. Generally, I like many changes, but the sheer amount of stuff you always collect is something that got worse than before. Getting an idea what these thousands of items do and whether they are worth your consideration must be pretty overwhelming for someone new to the game, and I already find it a bit much. Then again, if you're good at throwing stuff away, you're probably golden. There's something for everyone to be found here.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Interesting boss battle from a "mod jam" that was cobbled together in a week.

Check video description and comments for the mod in question.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I can smell Redigit's butthurt all the way over here. He put in the "bad luck gained from wrong torches in wrong biomes"-mechanic, which was removed by the other devs due to its sillyness. That he saw a reason to strike back at players like this only proves he should be put out to pasture in regards to coding Terraria.

There are two main reasons why forcing certain torches being used is bad:

# It goes against the game's base concept of the sandbox, where the player's freedom is paramount.
# They haven't gone in-depth in testing out the various colors in regards to possible environments. Try putting desert torches in the desert biome. Count the seconds until your eyes start to bleed. Also, demon torches + obsidian architecture = Does fuck-all for lighting down in Hell.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
More thoughts and impressions:

# Meteorite ore got a balancing pass. Meteorites now only start falling after the Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu has been defeated. What's worse, meteorite ore can no longer be done away with by explosives, you have to get in there and get dirty with the pickaxe. This ups the difficulty for new players considerably, but it also makes Meteor Head Banners VERY VALUABLE, to the point players might want to just hang around and kill 50 Meteor Heads to get it before starting mining. Also, a balancing change was that a Meteorite-biome now needs 75 blocks of it to spawn Meteor Heads, and not 50.

# On the note of meteorites, have you been checking out the background in Terraria? You can see loads of interesting stuff there, and some of it is relevant to what's going on in the world. Most importantly, if you pay attention to the sky just before midnight, you can see the meteorite as it's about to crash into the world. A really cool addition.

# Hearing about that Ocean-Travel-Without-A-Boat Magic Conch makes me feel confused. On one hand the Pylons have got long-distance travel sorted, and yet they add an item that teleports people to the end of the world (on the horizontal plane)? What for? That's redundant. What Terraria really needs is a vertical end-of-the-world teleporter. You know, a Hell Conch. Sends you straight down to Hell based on your horizontal position. Obviously not an item to be gained before entering Hell (unless it's one-use, like a potion).

# By that same logic, a Space Conch (or potion) would be an interesting addition, get sent straight up to the top of the world based on your horizontal position.

# What I've always felt was lacking in the game was a reason to return to Hell after you've defeated the Wall of Flesh; one new enemy and an NPC just doesn't cut it for me. I would like to see a non-essential boss fight (but with cool drops) take place down there. No effort is required for it: We have King Slime, we now have Queen Slime, so why not a Prince of Hellslime? You know, a giant ball of lava bouncing around the place? Sure would provide a challenge in that environment.

# Another biome that I feel could use a boss is the Ice Biome. So far I've only seen it on the surface since 1.4, my world didn't spawn with a clear access point down to the Underground of it, but unless something drastic has changed the Ice Biome is Easy Mode in Terraria. I think it could use a little more (sp)ice.

# If you've been playing Terraria long enough while hanging around ducks, you know that there's an Easter Egg attached to them. That same Easter Egg is also attached to the owls.
owl.png

# After having played around with the Gray Zapator... I can safely say this is one of the more lulzier weapons in the game. It fires a blue ray that insta-travels (as they do). BUT as the weapon is said to be broken, some side effects may occur. The beam may bounce back the way it came. It may bounce off at an angle. It may 'repeat' itself, leading to multiple hits against the same target. It may knock enemies back with greater knockback effect than you've ever seen before (they literally fly off the screen). But the funniest one of all is the Ultra-Slow Moving Ray. It crawls so slowly around, and any monster that runs into the tip of it is doomed to death. The best thing is, there's a Hardmode upgrade of the weapon available. :D

1) You can still blow up metorite ore after getting to hardmode. At this point its pretty much obsolete, so it doesn't really matter

2) Yeah I saw though. I was impressed

3) Never used the Conch, so I didn't know it could do that. I guess its if you don't have a Pylon to teleport you to the ocean, or enough NPCs to teleport. Terraria still has a weird progression thing where a lot of the gear becomes obsolete if you find other gear.

4) That would be cool, but useless as there's no space biome (as in, actual space blocks). A moon biome would be nice.

5) Yeah, Hell does become obsolete after WoF. Its good for finding hardmode ores though.

6) There is such a thing as the Ice Golem, but that only spawns during storms.

7) Haven't noticed.

8) Haven't found it.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I can smell Redigit's butthurt all the way over here. He put in the "bad luck gained from wrong torches in wrong biomes"-mechanic, which was removed by the other devs due to its sillyness. That he saw a reason to strike back at players like this only proves he should be put out to pasture in regards to coding Terraria.

There are two main reasons why forcing certain torches being used is bad:

# They haven't gone in-depth in testing out the various colors in regards to possible environments. Try putting desert torches in the desert biome. Count the seconds until your eyes start to bleed. Also, demon torches + obsidian architecture = Does fuck-all for lighting down in Hell.

Yeah, I noticed the lighting in terraria seems different. The only torch that actually does anything in terms of illumination is the normal torch. Every other torch seems too weak and as such is useless for lighting your way.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I was more prescient than I thought. There is an item called the Demon Conch in the game and is acquired by fishing in Hell. It does exactly as it says on the tin.

(Or if you're lazy you can just set up the Cavern Pylon VERY DEEP down.)

Oh really? That's cool.
I just built a hellevator and had a cavern pylon half-way. Not that it matters.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Looks cool, and the video opens on a nice hook. I'm interested in this because it has some features that I would very much like to have.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So I've been getting back into this recently and just managed to find a seed with a sandstorm in a bottle so I finally got to craft a bundle of balloons. Good grief a quadruple jump is hilarious. Seed is 1.1.1.2031291474 if anyone wants it. I tried going for a terragrim a while back but no luck there. Just a shit ton of enchanted swords. I'm in an expert world now for the first time and I'm going to fight the Brain of Cthulhu next. My jungle biome has like 5-6 beehives in it so when I go fight the queen bee I'll have plenty of chances to grind.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You can craft an item that allows you to resummon the queen bee.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
You can craft an item that allows you to resummon the queen bee.
Oh I know you can make boss summoning items. But if I can't even beat the boss normally, making summoning items is kind of pointless. I managed to explore nearly the whole jungle in my current seed and there's 8 hives. If I can't find a way to consistently beat the boss after 8 tries, I'm probably just straight up fucked. I do need to start investing more in alchemy soon. The damage of the output of the minishark with tungsten bullets is almost nothing on some of the sturdier enemies. I tried fighting Skeletron and was doing 1 damage per shot. The shark tooth necklace helps a good amount for sure but I still don't have a lot of defense.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
What difficulty are you playing? I found the minishark to be enough against skeletron on normal
Are you using buffs and potions?
Extreme. I got to the underworld on normal but it was just so easy, then I found out extreme had changed stuff and added items so I decided to try making a new character to try going to an extreme world from scratch. Skeletron I didn't use buffs or potions just because I wanted to see how well I would do against him. I wasn't expecting his defense to be so much higher. On a side note, holy shit the fucking jungle has an absurd enemy spawn rate. I'm trying to make a arena to fight the queen bee and I'm getting assaulted by 4-5 hornets. 2-3 spiked jungle slimes, and 1-3 man eaters which all keep respawning as quickly as I kill them. Then I get hit and knocked so far away more enemies get spawned. It's utterly absurd.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One of the things that Calamity adds is a "Boss Zen" debuff.
During Pre-HM, I was really missing it...

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So after planting some peace candles and sunflowers all over the place, I finally not only managed to finish my arena for queen bee, but I used two of the larvas and beat her twice. I'll hunt down the remaining larva later. I also expanded my skeletron arena and learned about reforging. So now I have a deadly minishark and demonic star cannon, but I also reforged my accessories and finally got my terraspark boots after finding a lava charm seed online. So now I have 42 defence before potions with my current anti boss setup. I'll probably stick with the mini shark for my next skeletron attempt to check damage again after I reforged it and got the shark tooth necklace and stinger necklace.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Hate to be double posting here, but I finally crafted the cell phone and went and beat the wall of flesh. Now I'm in hard mode and I'm getting my ass kicked nearly everywhere. I didn't break any alters yet because I didn't want the new bosses to randomly spawn until I was ready. I encountered a hallowed mimic in the caverns and completely got my ass kicked. I've hit two blood moons in the span of an hour and a half, both times my entire town got killed. I might have had better luck with the mimic in an arena instead of the tunnels but a bit too late for that. Does anyone have any advice? Should I just break the alters already?

Palikka

Arcane
I would definately break the altars. You need the new ores for better armor and weapons.

Also the blood moon doesn't have any enemies that goes through walls so you really shouldn't get your town killed. Build better defence.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I would definately break the altars. You need the new ores for better armor and weapons.

Also the blood moon doesn't have any enemies that goes through walls so you really shouldn't get your town killed. Build better defence.
Thanks for the advice. I managed to grind a demonic amarok by killing 11 slime kings in the snow biome, tracked down a skeleton merchant on full moon and managed to buy the magic lantern, and the tools to build the yoyo bag. Then I killed the ice golem 3 times and assembled a set of frost armor. Now I killed about half a dozen hallowed mimics and crimson mimics, and have all the weapons I could need. I'm feeling about ready to try fighting the destroyer. Then I hit another blood moon, which killed my town since I was dropping stuff off. I'm probably going to need to remodel my base soon, but before that I got hit by a fucking pirate invasion. Neither were that hard but ultimately i got nothing good out of either of them. All the flying dutchman dropped was a cutlass, which I already got from another enemy who died and dropped one.

Now my gear is a set of frost armor, demonic amarok, unreal daedalus stormbow, yoyo bag, warrior & ranger emblem, berserker's glove, magic & molten quiver, ankh shield, leaf wings and terraspark gloves. I might go reforge some accessories, but I'm debating on whether I aim for damage, critical chance, or more defense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom