Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Pretty much beaten the current content, all that's left to do now is try and get some rare mob drops.

i4hHe.jpg

I found the underground jungle and underworld both much easier than the dungeon - mostly because of the ridiculous spawn rates in the dungeon. Not that the enemies were particularly hard even en masse, but it made moving around and trying to loot the chests fucking annoying. Found the Cobalt Shield tho so no reason to ever go back there. :smug:

Small world will definitely push you through the content much faster, so if you're looking to enjoy it a bit longer and take things slow, by all means make a medium or even large (large probably best left for co-op tho).

Is there an upgraded version of the Vilethorn btw? It's the only weapon/spell I've come across that goes through walls - pretty much irreplaceable against burrowing enemies.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
XWiTK.jpg

Yeah, I'm set for now. Have pretty much all the best gear, killed all the bosses and saw all the places. There are some accessories out there that would be nice, but I don't desperately need them. I'm sitting on a ton of gold coins too. I wish there were more good items that cost lots of money. The mining hat is pretty much the only item worth buying. I'd still like to get the Rocket Boots before finally retiring until the next update, but I have no idea how to trigger the goblin invasion.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Well you could always buy the 50g gun the arms dealer has, and craft it into Star Cannon (with meteorite bars and fallen stars). It uses the stars for ammo, too. :D

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I said good items. Things that you'd want to use opposed to novelty toys. Anyway, I spent an hour trying to farm a Sunfury just because I'm kinda bored and there's nothing else to do. No cigar. It's kinda boring to wait for a Bone Serpent to spawn and pray that it'll drop a rare item. On the plus side I must say that Shadow Armor + Feral Claws + Murasama = awesome.
And I just realised that there is another rare armor that is missing from my armory, but fuck that. The pieces are rare drops by Hornets in the jungle, but that place blows. Ain't going there again. It's basically Meteor Armor with more defense.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah I'm wearing the Cobalt Helmet in that pic, could build the molten helmet but the mana regen is so nifty.

Multi-headed Cow

Well supposedly they're gonna be adding more shit to the floating islands and desert, next.

So how much time did you bros who basically "Won" the game by getting the phattest lewt take?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Two nights' worth, and it's not like I was rushing or anything. Small map makes it easier, not to mention how you can basically skip whole tiers of gear completely.

Dire Roach

Prophet
I've played around 15 hours so far on a medium map. I have:

-Gold pick, silver breastplate, gold legs, miner's helmet, bronze watch, depth meter, cloud in a bottle
-Killed eye of cthulhu just recently after it started spawning automatically
-280 health and 3 stars worth of mana (never used it yet)
-Switched my main weapon from a gold broadsword to a demonite axe thanks to the ore I got from the boss

I've spent most of the time exploring natural caves while avoiding dungeons and corruption like a pussy, so that's probably why my loots aren't too phat.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
Well supposedly they're gonna be adding more shit to the floating islands and desert, next.

So how much time did you bros who basically "Won" the game by getting the phattest lewt take?

I've got 25 hours clocked in. Played on a Large map. I'm sure I can squeeze an extra hour or two here and there when I do decide to go back and farm the rest of the fat loot, because I'm a vain asshole who likes to have an extensive arsenal of valuable items that no one else has. :M

Edit:

rRhge.jpg

Alright, now I think I'm done. Even made the shitty Star Cannon because I was swimming in cash. Now all I have to do is wait for some tougher enemies to be patched in. Wonder what I'll play next.

Mortmal

Arcane
Bumping thread as its really worth playing. I dont know how you guys are swimming in gold, i have much more trouble gathering it in the first world generated .I cant survive long in thell part, i am swarmed by range imps + some flying serpen, not to mention i ahd to flood it with underground rivers to not be killed by the fall, i love it.
Those randomly generated universe are fascinating,its dangerously addicting. I find it more entertaining than minecraft, theres actually some game inside. So far its really worth the 10 bucks, the exploration is great, the world is huge, ton of hidden stuff , really really good game.It has the oldschool feeling, back then when it was gameplay above all.

Multi-headed Cow

Hobo Elf said:
I've got 25 hours clocked in.
Not too bad for stomping through most/all the current content for $10 then. Especially since they're supposedly going to keep adding shit.

Terraria or Minecraft. Which is better and why? Discuss!!!
I'm leaning toward Terraria. I might think differently once I've seen it all, but it currently seems better than the current state of Minecraft (Except for pure block stacking I suppose) and most likely will only get better as time goes on, while The Damn Swede adds things like music blocks and tamable wolves.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well, this game is less about building and more about exploration compared to Minecraft. Everyones initial reaction to Terraria is that it's Minecraft in 2d. So was mine. But once you play it, you realise that it isn't anything like minecraft at all. Actually, this game feels more like friggin' Castlevania. As I said, exploration is the key element in this game, and it does it well. Constantly looking for chests or health upgrades when mining around, finding neat cave systems that are fun and dangerous to explore, shitting your pants when The Eye of Cthulhu suddenly spawns, and you don't know why, and he melts your face. It's a lot of fun to figure out all the neat things in the game. The progression to power is satisfying as well and not linear like in Minecraft. Gear doesn't become better tier by tier after Gold equipment. You'll pick your favorite armor based on play style and stick with it due to distinct set bonuses, or keep switching gear based on the situation. Same goes for the neat accessories that can give you all kinds of cool and fun abilities.

I heard a rumor that the devs are going to add more content to the flying islands and sand areas next, so I expect they'll support the game for quite some time. Even if they didn't it's still a lengthier game than most modern games, and only at 10 bucks. There's no shit content in it either with the sole purpose to make the game artificially longer. It has substance and meaning. Oh, and fun.
Personally I'd like to see a proper aquatic area some day, and a cool boss to go with it.

Am I the only one who shat bricks when I first ran into Skeletron? Didn't have any prior knowledge on him, and I was pretty damn surprised when I accidentally triggered him.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah that was a fun moment. Probably the biggest reason I swiped the leaked versions; I wanted to see more of the game so badly but I wanted to experience all the surprises like that myself, not through watching some douche on a LP.

I'm hoping the game gets cracked open for modding pretty quickly. Game has massive potential for adding new bosses, areas and items, and the devs are deluded if they think they can do a better job than 10000 people. They need volcanoes, snow areas, under water areas, bosses for each, mini bosses, multiple races, handmade castles and dungeons and tombs and a shitload of special block types and things to build. Oh, and someone needs to add the old sprites back in. That nurse looks like a tranny.

Still lots of fun right now though. Me and Ashery just fought some of the bosses today.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
@mortmal:

just leave your money in a chest or the piggy bank before going out to explore - you drop 50% of your money upon death, but that's only for the cash you have on you.

Multi-headed Cow said:
http://i.imgur.com/MG6J2.jpg
Nice comparison for world sizes. Not only longer, but deeper.

Heh, funny how these things spread, just made that yesterday.

There's a wrapper out for larger resolutions, height seems to be limited to 800 at the moment (game doesn't render graphics past that so you just see black beyond that point), but any width is ok.

http://dl.flamehaus.com/TerrariaWrapper.exe drop it into steam\steamapps\common\terraria (or wherever you installed if you're a marauder of the high seas) and make a shortcut, ie. TerrariaWrapper.exe -width 1280 -height 720

I'm running it with 1920x800 (click for full size):

The only issue - as you can see - is the mana bar in the middle of the screen, but I don't mind since hopefully this is just temporary and the devs should add proper support soon (if they aren't retarded).

Exmit

Scholar
rofl that's the most retarded thing. Make the same thing in the air and call it a new feature.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
..Or you could just download this mod for floating islands in minecraft AND a shitton of other cool content. Notch is a massive faggot. He keeps adding stuff that has been modded in. Maybe he should concentrate on adding gameplay instead of more useless shit. Hurr I can build the same castle I've built 500 times before, only this time in the air!

Mortmal

Arcane
Wich one is better and why ? Definitivily terraria, for 10 $ i get a game, unlike minecraft where i get promises of a game. Terraria is a full game from the beggining. Anyway notch is making a fucking card game , between his las vegas trips, nothing to expect from him anymore.

Multi-headed Cow

Pair of 200 Dollar Jeans said:
Y'all might want to behold this review before blowing your 10bux on this buttbomb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfN-qhoMKnE
So that youtube review got pulled because the guy who makes Terraria is a little baby man apparently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h_brAcMtZ0
It's up over yonder if you want to see what made him throw a fit.
http://thebestgamers.net/watchvideo.php ... minecraft2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom