Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Luzur

Good Sir
it was a kinda shitty poem, i have to admit.

Multi-headed Cow

Ye gods, when did shortswords become thrusting weapons in Terraria? Made a new world and a new hardcore character and I'm terrified of slimes due to the really limited attack area on my stabbing animation.

Angthoron

Arcane
For quite a while now actually. Thanks to that the shortswords are basically absolutely useless, the only good use would be if you could just hold down the button and spam it, but you have to keep clicking, so, no use at all sir, none at all.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The only advantage they have (Aside from the speed thing) seems to me is that they hit multiple enemies more quickly on the same swing. When swinging at 3+ zombies with a long sword, often the 3rd zombie won't get hit until he's already bumped into you. But it's certainly not enough of an advantage to bother using it. Pickaxe is usually your best weapon until you get something from a chest anyways. Swings much faster, and the lower damage isn't a problem except against high armor enemies you shouldn't be fighting anyways.

MisterStone

Arcane
This game looks kind of interesting, but I was wondering: is this a game that is worth playing by yourself, or do you need to play on a server with others before it's really worthwhile? Is it fun if you just drop in (once, or every now and then) on a public server and play with people you don't know? Is it good as a LAN party game that you play for a few hours? Does the game become kind of lame and pointless at some point, because it's a sandbox game and there is no final goal? Can people play it in a way that is competitive?

Sorry, I've never even played Minecraft TBH so I'm basically an oldfag gamer who can't into new shit internet gaming.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
MisterStone said:
This game looks kind of interesting, but I was wondering: is this a game that is worth playing by yourself

Sure it is, but once you 'beat' it (get the best gear, that is) there's not much point in continuing to play. Should provide some hours' worth of fun tho.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Have to give the developer credit -- I've seen at least two major updates (including both bug fixes and content/items/enemies) since the game went live a few months ago.

MisterStone said:
Sorry, I've never even played Minecraft TBH so I'm basically an oldfag gamer who can't into new shit internet gaming.

It's not really minecraft so much as it is a 'metroidvania' where you explore, kill enemies, and get loot. You can build stuff but that isn't the primary focus. If you're going to buy wait a week for the big Steam sale where it'll probably be $5. Not a bad deal for ~20 or so hours of entertainment.

Damned Registrations

One thing I've been wanting to do is play a competetive multiplayer game of this, with the competition simply being that each player stakes out a chunk of land (Probably left/right of the initial spawn on a large map), and race to become the most uberly geared. Even better on hardcore mode. Would make all the risk/reward of continuing to go deeper for more loot vs being cautious and keeping stuff in reserve in case you die all the more interesting.

I would imagine it's pretty fun with a whole mess of people, wither fighting eachother (You can enable pvp and murder eachother, and set teams) or just sending a rapesquad of 10 guys with pickaxes into the bowels of the earth. Though with that many people you'll be hard pressed to divy up the ore.

And yeah, the building is fun if you feel like playing legos, but it's not at all the core of the game. Far more care went into things like enemy and item variety. Throwing a torch down over a cliff into a dark chasm and seeing a treasure chest at the bottom with a pile of monsters wandering around it feels awesome.

MisterStone

Arcane
Well it does sound pretty damn cool, especially considering that it is procedurally generated. I must say I do sort of wish there would be a final challenge of some kind, maybe a massive apocalyptic siege that you and your buddies have to survive, which activated after a few hours of game play. Or maybe something where you can take on the ultimate foozle in his castle and become the most powerful badass on the planet. It just seems kind of lame to sit around and play in a sandbox indefinitely... or rather, it seems incomplete.

Multi-headed Cow

That's kinda the point of the game though. Gives you a sandbox, you figure out what you want out of it. Not that I'm saying there SHOULDN'T be bigger and better end game goals 'cause I'd be all for that, but yeah.

If you wanna make it trickier, play hardcore characters. May or may not be more fun depending on your tastes, but it certainly makes playing a new character more tense.

MisterStone said:
Well it does sound pretty damn cool, especially considering that it is procedurally generated. I must say I do sort of wish there would be a final challenge of some kind, maybe a massive apocalyptic siege that you and your buddies have to survive, which activated after a few hours of game play. Or maybe something where you can take on the ultimate foozle in his castle and become the most powerful badass on the planet. It just seems kind of lame to sit around and play in a sandbox indefinitely... or rather, it seems incomplete.

There are a number of boss fights. It's less sandboxy than minecraft, in my opinion.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's definitely less sandbox than Minecraft and it actually gets updates.

Damned Registrations

Been playing in hardcore mode. Going to have to abandon the world. I've gathered up and concentrated all the best loot somewhere off screen just below where the background starts turning hellish. I can't possibly survive to get it back without more nice stuff, and the only other option would be strip mining the whole god damned area down to gather up enough gold to make some proper gear and make up for lack of accessories and health. Going to start a new game. Hardcore mode death achieved.
:thumbsup:

Dire Roach

Prophet
MisterStone, you might as well get the "demo" of it and see for yourself; the whole game is less than 20 megabytes total.

Metro said:
If you're going to buy wait a week for the big Steam sale where it'll probably be $5. Not a bad deal for ~20 or so hours of entertainment.
I've clocked in ~150 hours already according to steam. Building shit online can be just as fun as in minecraft.

Angthoron

Arcane
MisterStone said:

You do also get a few invasion events that you can probably make harder by having a blue candle in the inventory. Goblin Army event, for instance, is quite amusing.

Luzur

Good Sir
when i had a goblin invasion, i simply put a lava moat outside, and blocked my doors with dirt from the inside.

instant fried goblin.

Damned Registrations

What about the [spoilers]wizard that fire through walls?[/spoilers] Though I'll agree lava moats are overpowered. One bucket can cover 4-5 tiles, easily enough to kill practically anything that walks.

Angthoron

Arcane
Luzur said:
when i had a goblin invasion, i simply put a lava moat outside, and blocked my doors with dirt from the inside.

instant fried goblin.

Well, they're not really hard to kill even without that. I was just saying that there are some invasion events like Goblin Army and Blood Moon. There definitely should be more though.

Multi-headed Cow

Chainsaw and drill! Woop!

Haven't played Terraria in aaaaaaages ever since I first got it and "Beat" the game by killing all the bosses and exploring the dungeon, jungle, and hell. Last two or three big content patches have floated by me. Mostly because I sorta wanna try them with a new character in a new world, but the early game Terraria is a bit of a bummer.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
1.1 out now, with a fuckton of new features:

NPC’s

There are thirty-six new monsters!
The underworld has a new master, the Wall of Flesh. Defeating him will unlock new challenges for your world.
There are three harder versions of the older bosses.
There are now three new friendly NPC’s that can be rescued after specific conditions are met.
The Dryad will now tell you the percentage of Corruption vs. Hallow in the world.
Made several small changes to allow for better underground cities.
New NPCs will spawn in their homes underground, instead of on the surface.
Worms will no longer spawn when near a friendly NPC.
Underground towns will now reduce, and eventually stop, enemy spawning.

Items

Added thirty-nine statues that are scattered around the world. Some of them do special things when activated with mechanics!
Star Cannon : Shoots faster.
Sandgun : Sand shot from it does more damage, and it shoots faster.
Blowpipe : Now listed as ranged.
Goblins no longer drop rocket boots during an invasion. Instead they are sold by a new NPC that can be rescued underground after the player has defeated the Goblin Army.
Boomerang type weapons are listed as melee.
Added four new armor sets. Each set has different helms that give bonuses to melee, ranged, or magic, respectively.
There are twenty-one new accessories.
Weapons and accessories can now have random conditions that modify their stats. These conditions can be changed for a price by visiting a new NPC.
The crafting requirements for Molten and Jungle gear have been reduced.
Some accessories can now be combined at a Tinkerer’s Workshop.
Colored Torches can now be crafted out of Gems and Torches.
Added Mannequins that are crafted out of wood. Place armor on them for decoration/storage.
Added the Wrench to place wires.
Added Wire Cutters to remove wires.
Added Pressure Plates, Switches, and Timers to activate devices.
Added Music Boxes that record and play in-game music.
Added Pumps to transport liquids.
Added loads of other new items and weapons waiting to be found!
Putting the Guide Voodoo Doll in lava is now a bad idea...or is it?

Lighting / Display

Terraria now has smooth, colored lighting! You can toggle between the four lighting modes: Color, White, Retro, and Trippy in the Options Menu or by pressing F7.
Made several lighting and display optimizations to increase game performance.
Added automatic graphic quality adjustment based on the game’s frame rate. This setting can be toggled in the Options Menu.

Multiplayer

Fixed a problem with item syncing for newly connected players.
Fixed a bug that caused graphical issues for player’s using automatic weapons.
Added a limit to how often the server can broadcast NPC update packets. This prevents NPC’s from trying to update every cycle which would cause massive amounts of lag.
Reduced the amount of data needed to transmit tiles down to 25%.
The server now only broadcasts tile data to the players who need it.
The server now withholds some NPC, player, and projectile packets based on player distance from them.
Fixed a bug where water is consumed when a player cures Corruption with Purification Powder while standing in water.

World

Above ground tunnels may now be created during world gen.
Smashing Demon Altars with a special item will cause new ore to appear around the world.
Defeating the hell boss will now increase the difficulty of the world. Harder monsters will spawn, and the Corruption’s rate of spread will be greatly increased.
Defeating the hell boss will allow the Corruption to spread underground, over sand, stone, and Sunflowers, and through Jungles, destroying them if you let it!
There is a new biome, The Hallow, that will be created when the hell boss is defeated.
Removed obsolete lighting code, reducing both RAM usage and world save file sizes.
Added several small features to world gen.
Tweaked the way and amount of Underground Mushroom biome spawn.
Demon Torches now appear in shelters generated in the underworld.
Underground cabins may randomly spawn around chests.
Different styles of wall can now be placed next to one another without showing the background between them, allowing for more creative building.
When nearing the top of the world, the player will now leave the atmosphere and be less affected by gravity.
There are now three types of traps that are generated underground. Watch your step!
Cacti no longer damage players.

Game Interface

Items being held by the mouse will now be used by left clicking. This allows the player to place objects without putting them on the hotbar. Right clicking will now drop the item.
Placing objects on grass will now destroy the grass.
The crafting menu now scales to fit the size of the screen.
When the inventory is open, the number of the selected item in the hotbar will appear in green.
There is a new NPC housing interface that can be used to assign living areas to NPC’s. This interface will also tell you if a room is missing any requirements.

Misc

There is a new music track for The Hallow biome.
Underground Corruption has its own music track.
Underground Hallow has its own music track.
There are two new boss music tracks.
Greatly reduced world save file sizes.
Decreased tile frame detection time by 15%.
Your trash can is now emptied when you die.
Added an auto select hotkey that will pick a tool from the player’s inventory based on what their mouse is hovering over. This defaults to Left Shift.
All players will now leave behind tombstones when killed.
There is now a random option in the player creation menu.
Female players now have separate armor graphics.
Added a new mechanical system! Holding a mechanical item will display the wire grid to create interesting new devices.
There are new overworld backgrounds for each biome!

Bug Fixes

Fixed a bug that would cause the server to think a player is dead if he/she reaches 1 HP without dying.
Fixed a bug that wouldn’t allow players to craft from the ammo slot.
Fixed a bug that would crash the game when player tried to draw water outside the bounds of the world.
Fixed a bug that would cause mana regen to ignore stat bonuses given by armor or accessories
Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause the game to crash when growing Underground Jungle grass.
Wooden Platforms no longer attach to non-solid objects.
Placing and removing items during the placing animation will no longer destroy the item when it is collected.
Fixed a bug that would cause graphical abnormalities when the lighting changes dramatically.
The FPS display (F10) shows the correct number.
Fixed a bug that swapped the lighting of players pants and head armor.
Fixed a problem that would cause water to settle in strange positions.
Fixed a problem that caused objects with transparency to appear darker than they should.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yep, HUGE content and balance update. Also it's on sale today for $2.50 on Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom