Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Teudogar questions

crpgnut

Augur
I keep trying to start playing this game but the inventory always throws me off. I notice there are several containers in every building. Am I supposed to gather all this junk up and then barter for the things I need? There's a guy in the nw that wants to send me to the next village. I'm not wearing any armor and I don't have very much money. Should I gather all the junk in the whole village, barter it with someone for money and then try to find an armorer and weapon maker?

Another quick question. Orwin(sp?) has some chain mail hanging on his wall. Am I supposed to acquire that some way? I notice that when I take it everyone in town attacks me.

Has anyone played through the whole demo? What is the hook to this game? It's obviously not the inventory system. Everything I grab just lays wherever I drop it in my backpack. Realistic, but not very fun.

I haven't been out of the first town yet. I'm still trying to find out what needs to be accomplished here other than talking to Orwin.

Fez

Erudite
Stealing from other people will piss them off. If you can beat someone down you can take their stuff, but you won't be popular with their family and friends.

You can try to steal as much as you can get away with and barter it all for as much decent gear as you can get, before adventuring. Wearing expensive jewelry impresses other people.

The combat in the game is swift and brutal.

The best way to learn is to jump in and see what happens. :D

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
Hi Fez, thank you for answering most of Crpgnut's questions.

Crpgnut: Yes, you needn't worry too much about your equipment; you can get by with just spear, dagger and shield, so you really don't need any of your neighbors' possessions.

Regarding combat the only thing you need to be aware of is that once you've been wounded, you can't win anymore. If this happens to you, give up, run for your life, then dress your wounds and find some woman who can heal you.

I'd advise against stealing; Teutons considered that to be extremely cowardly. Of course you can do it if you feel you have to, but your charisma will suffer. A much better and much more Teutonic way of acquiring some wealth would be to travel around and talk to people, and if anyone seems to be looking for a fight, accept: Kill your opponent in a fair and open duel, then take his possessions.

However, the main point of this game is not to collect as much stuff as possible, but to defend your tribe against the Romans (who're invading your country). The best way to do that will be to form an alliance with your neighboring tribes. That'll require traveling around, talking to people, winning allies, getting rid of your political opponents and so on.

In doing so you'll make plenty of enemies; from a Teutonic point of view there's nothing wrong with killing as many of these as you can (as long as this doesn't jeopardize your effort to form an alliance); so you'll win more than enough booty as a by-product of your travels.

crpgnut

Augur
Thanks for the replies, both of you. I gave up again after just not being interested enough in the storyline. I keep feeling like I'm living through some ultra-boring phase of history. I like the looks of your game engine though and hope to enjoy the next game you're developing. I hated Jeff Vogel's Nethergate game but I love everything else he's made. I hope I can say the same with your next game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom