Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thaumaturgy question

crpgnut

Augur
I'm casting the spell to add a lightning attack to my thrown weapons. According to
SP's spell chart, the spell should last 30 minutes. I throw this spell at the beginning
of a combat with a couple of bandits. It works great. We kill the bandits and I start
to loot their corpses, then some lupins attack. I have to recast the spell even though
this happened immediately after the fight with the bandits. I'm pretty sure that 30 minutes hasn't passed. Is the spell only effective for one combat? What about sharp weapon
and harden armour? Do those spells really last for skill*30 minutes or is it skill*30 minutes or 1 full combat whichever is less? I haven't done a lot of testing on this. Work keeps getting in the way :)

Carioz

Novice
Starnde, I am pretty sure lighting spell lasted for more than one combat. But I also noticed it doesn't dispaly the thunder animation on Thrown weapon special attack (what was its name?).

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
crpgnut said:
I'm casting the spell to add a lightning attack to my thrown weapons. According to
SP's spell chart, the spell should last 30 minutes.

Time in the game is much faster than real life. It's 30 game minutes, not 30 minutes by our clock.

Constipated Craprunner said:
http://rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=9
I wish someone would move this.

Prelude of Darkness questions are allowed in the Prelude of Darkness forum. Think of the general RPG help as "CRPGs other than Prelude of Darkness, though PtD questions can go there as well."

CP

Liturgist
crpgnut said:
SP's spell chart, the spell should last 30 minutes. I throw this spell at the beginning
of a combat with a couple of bandits. It works great. We kill the bandits and I start
to loot their corpses, then some lupins attack. I have to recast the spell even though
this happened immediately after the fight with the bandits. I'm pretty sure that 30 minutes hasn't passed. Is the spell only effective for one combat? What about sharp weapon
and harden armour? Do those spells really last for skill*30 minutes or is it skill*30 minutes or 1 full combat whichever is less? I haven't done a lot of testing on this. Work keeps getting in the way :)

I've tested this extensively (I like to finish the game with at least one thaumaturgist) and it's always worked fine for me. If anything, there were some quirks at one point where the spells did not wear out over long periods of autotravelling.

Anyway, if you find out for sure that you're encountering a problem let us know and we'll get to the bottom of it quickly.

I think Mat mentioned this as well, but I thought it was worth bringing up again. Improving thaumaturgy skill does not extend spell durations, it enhances their strength.

Thanks.

CP

crpgnut

Augur
Time in the game is much faster than real life. It's 30 game minutes, not 30 minutes by our clock.

I got a kick out of this SP! I'm not a crpg n00b :) I was watching the game clock, as
best as I could. It just seems like that spell shouldn't have run out when it did. I haven't been able to duplicate it though, so I'm glad. I'm driving Mat nuts because I keep finding
little bugs. I'm glad this wasn't one.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
crpgnut said:

I got a kick out of this SP! I'm not a crpg n00b :) I was watching the game clock, as
best as I could. It just seems like that spell shouldn't have run out when it did. I haven't been able to duplicate it though, so I'm glad. I'm driving Mat nuts because I keep finding
little bugs. I'm glad this wasn't one.

Hah.. Well, time in the game travels really, really quickly. You can stand around and watch the hours pass by. The first place I noticed how fast the game clock was moving was in Kellen doing the barmaid quest. You just kind of stand there, watching her during part of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom