Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The 2019 Steam Awards - Nominations close Dec 3.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations?snr=1_4_autumnsale__autumn2019-SteamAwards

Categories:

The Game of the Year Award
Maybe it was its immersive gameplay, or its gripping story... its well-crafted characters, immaculate design, or addictive multiplayer. Whatever the reason, the winner of 2019's Game of the Year Award is an instant classic.

The VR Game of the Year Award
When it comes to breaking new ground in games, there is no greater pace of advancement than in VR. If we had our way, all VR devs would get an award for building the future of immersive games and experiences unparalleled by any other medium. But since there’s only one trophy, it’s up to you, Steam Awards Selection Committee member, to crown just one as the best of 2019.

The Labor of Love Award
This game has been out for a while. The team is well past the first unveiling of their creative baby, but being the good parents they are, these devs continue to nurture and support their creation. This game, to this day, is still getting new content after all these years.

The Better With Friends Award
There are some games out there that just aren't the same when you play by yourself. Maybe you need to have a friend to watch your back. Maybe you need to have a friend that you can stab in their back. Either way, mirth is awaiting those who gather friends to play these games.

The Most Innovative Gameplay Award
This game is at the front lines of experimentation, pushing the boundaries of the medium with exciting, novel interactions and brain-breaking surprises. This game thinks outside the box, and pulls you out with it!

The Outstanding Story-Rich Game Award
Some days, only a narrative-heavy game will hit the spot, and this one packs a wallop. It's as gripping as any soap opera, and as well-tuned as a prestige-TV screenplay. Bravissimo -- for making us feel things!

The Best Game You Suck At Award
Games have a way of pushing us past any limits we thought we had. Like a montage sequence, we put in work, training our fingers to be quick and nimble, mastering timing and placement over weeks and weeks. At the end of the gauntlet, we're rewarded with profound beauty and a deep sense of personal growth. Unless you hurled your monitor through a plate-glass window on the first day.

The Outstanding Visual Style Award
These devs are the Willy Wonka of eye candy. Visual style doesn't aspire to real-world graphical fidelity (though a noble goal in itself)… it describes a distinctive look and feel that suffuses an entire game. This game displays visual cohesion and expression that not only fit the game's world, but make our world look paltry by comparison.

Some notable 2019 releases you might want to vote on:
Disco Elysium, ATOM RPG, Pathologic 2, Bloodstained: RItual of the Night, Encased... I'm sure I'm missing a ton of shit so if you want to shill for something post about it here..

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
D7UumrR.png

Wunderbar

Arcane
GOTY - RE2 Remake
VR - no idea
Labor of love - Underrail, because of long awaited Expedition dlc
COOP - no idea
Combatfag game - eeh, Dusk?
Storyfag game - Pathologic 2
Hard game - Sekiro (not really hard once you know how to deflect, but i dunno what else to put here)
Graphicsfag game - Disco Disco

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
GOTY - RE2 Remake
VR - no idea
Labor of love - Underrail, because of long awaited Expedition dlc
COOP - no idea
Combatfag game - eeh, Dusk?
Storyfag game - Pathologic 2
Hard game - Sekiro (not really hard once you know how to deflect, but i dunno what else to put here)
Graphicsfag game - Disco Disco

how are you turning 'most innovative gameplay' into 'combatfag game'

I will probably vote for Baba is You.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Jenkem cuz i haven't played anything innovative in this year. Putting antiquated Dusk is just a jokey nomination.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GOTY - haven't decided yet cos i put disco in storyfag
VR - no idea
Labor of love - ATOM
COOP - outward
unique game - heaven's vault
Storyfag game - hobocop
Hard game - Sekiro
Graphicsfag game - i just put stygian

anyway most likely trite like PUBG will win this again like last year, but w/e

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
GOTY - haven't decided yet cos i put disco in storyfag
VR - no idea
Labor of love - ATOM
COOP - outward
unique game - heaven's vault
Storyfag game - hobocop
Hard game - Sekiro
Graphicsfag game - i just put stygian

anyway most likely trite like PUBG will win this again like last year, but w/e

I believe they changed it so that the game has to have been released this year (and last December, since nominations are based on Autumn sale, that's why ATOM counts) The only thing PUBG could even be nominated for is Labor of Love, which lets you select anything.

V_K

Arcane
GOTY - Baba Is You
Innovative - Whispers of a Machine (since you can nominate a game for only one category; otherwise it would have been Baba as well)
Labor of Love - would have voted for Deadfire's turn-based mode, but for some reason it wasn't available
Storyfag - Gibbous
Graphics whore - Stygian
Don't care about VR or coop, and would have put Baba into hard as well if it was allowed.

Yosharian

Arcane
Here's the games I want to nominate for something, in no particular order, and some of these were released in 2018 but fuck it:

• RimWorld: fantastic game that just grips you and won't let go.
  • Subnautica: very different to anything else I've played in the last few years, rough around the edges but a must-play IMO. Shame what's happening with the 'sequel' but let's not go there.
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker: for obvious reasons.
  • Outward: janky as fuck but this game has some soul.
  • Into The Breach: had so much fun playing this.
  • Factorio: pure crack in videogame form, this shit should be illegal. And it's not even finished yet.
I already voted for Disco Elysium for the graphics award because holy shit the art in that game is just incredible.

I wish I could nominate more RPGs but I just haven't played that many this year, aside from Kingmaker, or replaying old games.

Oh OK apparently Steam is being more strict this year with what you can nominate, you can't nom stuff that wasn't actually released in 2019

I want to nominate Stygian for something but honestly it felt so half-baked I don't know which award I would choose.

Edit: Alright I ended up going with this:

GOTY: Terminator Resistance
VR GOTY: Space Engine
Labor of Love: Factorio
Better with Friends: Outward
Innovative Gameplay: Stygian
Story-Rich: ATOM RPG
Best Game You Suck At: A Game That Shall Not Be Mentioned
Visual Style: Disco Elysium

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Here's what I went with:

The Game of the Year Award

The VR Game of the Year Award

The Labor of Love Award

The Better With Friends Award

The Most Innovative Gameplay Award

The Best Game You Suck At Award

The Outstanding Visual Style Award

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
GOTY - Sekiro
VR - who gives a shit
Labour of Love - Kingdom Come
Better with Friends - real life
Most Innovative Gameplay - Slay the Spire
Outstanding Story - Disco Elysium
Best Game I Suck At - Sunless Skies
Outstanding Visuals - Metro Exodus (a weak winner; too bad the voting ends a week before RDR2 comes to Steam, otherwise it'd be a slam dunk)

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Funny because out of all yakuza games in steam, kiwami is my least favorite story wise. 0 is fucking brilliant tho. 2 is good, everything about kiwami's story is pretty half baked due to the fact it is the remake of their first game. Altho 0 made 1's story retroactively better by giving tons of characters background development.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Whenever I played a Nip game that was not anime I was p. much blown away. All FromSoft games, Dragon's Doga or MSG5. I would therefore like to try Yakuza but I watched 10 minutes of gameplay and it's just running around a cramped world and participating in those ridiculously long cartoonish punching matches. I fear the game might be retarded. Sell me on Yakuza.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
GOTY: Dusk (surprised it's eligible for voting considering it released last year)
VR Game: dunno what to vote so I put in Espire 1
Labor of Love: Euro Truck Sim 2 ( :love: to SCS)
Better with friends: Mordhau (would have voted for Deep Rock Galactic if it were eligible)
Most innovative gameplay: Obra Dinn isn't available so my vote goes to Baba Is You
Story rich: communist visual novel
Best game I suck at: Sekiro, fuck you demon of hatred
Outstanding visual: GRIS

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Sell me on Yakuza.
Yakuza is alot of things. the story usually involve some kind of crime drama/conspiracy that is well executed, well written and with cutscenes that are well directed and voiced that involve alot of things. it is also over the top, but not in uber ridiculous way. some way it's kinda like 80's martial arts action movies. most character are likeable and well written. there is combat that is also well done. most of the games have different "styles" of combat that you can develop trough skill tree to earn more combos, and you can look so fucking cool pulling off combos and beating thugs under your heel.

under the outer layer, there is also this wacky aspect to yakuza. the side missions usually involve mini-story, sometimes hilarious, sometimes wholesome and heartwarming, sometimes both and they usually are also filled with endearing minor characters. it plays alot with tone and pulled it off. it's sometimes wacky, serious, cool, weird but nothing feel out of place or forced. you usually encounter these side stories exploring your map.

on the outermost layer there is the minigame aspect to the game, and it's full of optional side activities that are usually well done and sometimes rewarding, but i don't really care about the scores of these minigames, but stuff like bowling, karaoke, etc are fun and shogi is always great to play.

the map. oh the map is one of my favorite part of the series. sure, they reuse asset but kamurocho is one of my favorite place in videogame ever. it may seem "cramped" but the density, detail, atmosphere is amazing. the fact that it's city block world, it lets you really become familiar and love that place as much as your home. turn off the minimap, explore the areas, nook and crannys by yakuza kiwami 2, i know the layout like my own neighborhood. where my favorite restaurants, sellers, etc.

the game have weaknesses like some substories force you to play minigames you might not like, or some of the world encounter can be annoying, but the series overall is super fun.

alot of people love it for different reason. it might be fun for some messing around in the world, grinding kiryu to some battle beast of a fighter, participating in challenges. i myself really like the story , the little story and worldbuilding in the sidequests, and the overall atmosphere of the city that is nearly unmatched. the combat is very good too and pretty deep especially in harder difficulty where you really have to consider combos and items.

Gibson

Learned
that Baba is you looks dope AF, will buy.
thanks for the idea to everyone that mentioned it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom