Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Age of Decadence Christmas Update

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All this butthurt in every AoD preview/news thread is incredibly hilarious. I don't give a single fuck and will just buy torrent ask for a Codex Review Copy once it's out and play it and enjoy it. Yes it's not the perfect saviour of the genre that we were always told it would be, but the demo showed it's a solid game and I'm looking forward to its release without caring the slightest about any of the drama surrounding it.

Suck it down. :smug:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The strength of the game is complex scripted sequences, the weakness of the game is complex scripted sequences. It's sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yes it's not the perfect saviour of the genre that we were always told it would be...
For the record, we've never made such claims.

Sure. And not because of the game per se, which may or may not be turn out to be a good one (if ever, mostly will be just irrelevant). It is because VD and some of his 'Followers' shit all over us. Which in itself would be still OK - but then keeping begging for the approval of a-cerebral masses (in their view). Case in point: in response to the criticism that combat was too obtuse, boring, and difficult, some of the Followers proposed to let people play at a lower difficult setting BUT with constant reminders of how stupid they were to play at the 'popamole' level. What a gem! Because people love to be insulted for paying for your product. So this fucking car not only has no doors, you cannot control the speed, or adjust any of the settings to accommodate your needs, BUT even will insult you for any turns you make at less than optimal speed. Priceless... :)
Dude, this butthurt of yours isn't healthy. You don't like the game and thinks that it's shit. Ok. You shared this revelation with me many, many times and continue bitching about it as if it's something personal, exaggerating and making shit up to fuel your rage. People who like the game become "followers', my posts become "shitting all over us" (who's us? the 99%?), complaints that combat is too hard become complaints that it's obtuse and boring, the 'awesome' character - a very light joke - becomes a constant reminder that the player is stupid.

First, the text accompanying the button doesn't say or imply that the player is stupid. It says that the game is hard and gives you an option to play a pre-made, more experienced and better equipped character. If the button wasn't called awesome, it would have been a fairly standard way to start the game.

Second, once you start the game, you are never, as in not even once, reminded that you're playing with a pre-made character. So, why lie? Do you feel better when you make shit up? Does your hate burn brighter when you do?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, it has often been hyped up to be the perfect RPG (TM) by the fans here on the Codex, and now some people can't cope with the fact that it isn't their dream come true.

As I said, I don't give the slightest fuck about the drama and I don't care if it fulfills any hype promises, be they made by the devs themselves or created through too high expectations of the fanbase, I just want to play a solid RPG, and that's what AoD is definitely going to offer.

Tigranes

Arcane
In other words, the entire argument is an idiotic one.

I, for one, am chuffed that out of nowhere, this dude comes along, works on an indie RPG, and from the looks of the demo, it looks like it will be a nice addition to an all too small repertoire of Good Replayworthy RPGs in the world. I still complained about the first demo, but it's hilarious how every couple of months there's another idiot that actually takes the BEST RPG EVAR shit seriously.

Anyway, I'll be happy if you guys actually focus on getting the game out. I don't want more demos, or combat betas, or demo-demo-beta-3. I understand the previous steps were necessary and helpful (and enjoyable for us) but now it's time to give birth.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I played the demo a few months back and I didn't really like it - the "teleporting" kind of disoriented me and I don't care much for 3D+iso perspective, as it seems like an awkward middle ground between 2D+iso and 3D+free moving camera (both of which I prefer.) That said, I'm not going to sit here and bitch about it and act like I have a personal dilemma with VD. :roll:

Might give it another shot when combat has been simplified for retards like myself. :troll:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
For every guy that hates something, somebody else loves it.
I'd rather not play at running around between questgivers and quest locations. Fucking waste of my time, with no RP value. But hell, some people liked Morrowind.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
AoD is pretty much everything I hoped it would be, except that my hopes have changed since 7 years ago

Do you feel better when you make shit up? Does your hate burn brighter when you do?

No, our hate burn brighter when you don't allow us to make shit up, Vault Dweller

Just like in your game

Where there's no room for imagination

You killed it

EG

Nullified
Do you feel better when you make shit up? Does your hate burn brighter when you do?

No, our hate burn brighter when you don't allow us to make shit up, Vault Dweller

Just like in your game

Where there's no room for imagination

You killed it

It was going to be Fallout, before he killed it. :cry:

:troll:
For clarification, since everyone seems to take this comment seriously. Not that it'll stop them.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'd rather not play at running around between questgivers and quest locations. Fucking waste of my time, with no RP value. But hell, some people liked Morrowind.
Yeah, but where's the line- fast travel? Quest compass? After all, a quest compass only really saves you time. What about an MMORPG-style journal? Saves you time reading your journal. Quest "?" markers? Saves you time talking to everyone.

See what I mean?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Yeah, but where's the line- fast travel? Quest compass? After all, a quest compass only really saves you time. What about an MMORPG-style journal? Saves you time reading your journal. Quest "?" markers? Saves you time talking to everyone.

:lol: :brodex:

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity

Filthy Larpers (shudder).

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

See what I mean?

Teleporting, quest markers, etc. don't just save you time, they save you mental effort; quest markers remove the need to think about your open quests, journals replace recording and reviewing relevant info on your own and quest compasses save you the effort of remembering locations. So really it comes down to what kind of mental effort the player considers a part of the game and what part they consider a waste of time.

EG

Nullified
Teleporting, quest markers, etc. don't just save you time, they save you mental effort; quest markers remove the need to think about your open quests, journals replace recording and reviewing relevant info on your own and quest compasses save you the effort of remembering locations. So really it comes down to what kind of mental effort the player considers a part of the game and what part they consider a waste of time.

All this thinking. It hurts so much.

I just want to play a game!

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

All this thinking. It hurts so much.

I just want to play a game!

Hmm...I think I phrased that badly. When I say mental effort, I mean thinking and also things that don't quite rise to the level of thinking. More like mental bookkeeping? For example, I don't think believe writing down everything NPCs say is "thinking", but it is effort. But taking that information and figuring out what you have to do is thinking. Running back and forth between known locations doesn't really require any deductive skills, but figuring out which places you have to go to might.

So if a quest giver tells you to talk to someone specific and your character actually knows where they are, then going and talking to them involves zero thought. In that case, teleporting/quest compasses save mental effort without replacing any thinking. The difference is that the quest compass still makes you do the busywork of running over to them. Some people want to run around, some don't. Neither approach is really replacing thinking here, provided the compass/teleport doesn't give you information you don't already have.

But if the quest giver doesn't give you specific instructions and the quest compass tells you what to do anyway, well then its doing your thinking for you. While plenty of games have quest compasses that do this, I haven't seen any teleporting in the AoD demo that does. So I don't think all criticisms of quest compasses apply to the teleporting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom