Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Age of Decadence Christmas Update

EG

Nullified
I think teleporting is an excellent idea and I think every rpg should minimize unnecessary back and forth.

I found a way to minimize back and forth with me in real life . . . I gave it purpose by bringing a camera. :(

Then that got boring.

Now it's back.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe the problem is that the interface is very similar in layout to Fallout, whereas the game itself is not. It makes people feel like they're expecting a Fallout-style game (particularly if they're just going by screenshots), but it sounds to be more like Darklands (at least where the "teleporting" stuff was involved; haven't been able to try anything but the combat demo).
I don't know where do you get that Fallout vibe about the interface. I don't see the similarity.

No, there are two problems (which are not problems actually, but whatever):
1) some people don't like teleporting (but since it became optional, no big deal)
2) the game is challanging, even more so than some old RPGs. And even Codexers didn't expect that.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Maybe the problem is that the interface is very similar in layout to Fallout, whereas the game itself is not. It makes people feel like they're expecting a Fallout-style game (particularly if they're just going by screenshots), but it sounds to be more like Darklands (at least where the "teleporting" stuff was involved; haven't been able to try anything but the combat demo).
I don't know where do you get that Fallout vibe about the interface. I don't see the similarity.

No, there are two problems (which are not problems actually, but whatever):
1) some people don't like teleporting (but since it became optional, no big deal)
2) the game is challanging, even more so than some old RPGs. And even Codexers didn't expect that.
I think it's this.

VD talked on and on about C&C.
Codexers read this and assumed he wanted to make a game like Fallout, where you are given universal tools to deal with situations, and thought that he might even expand on this (something like making repair and science more applicable).
VD actually meant scripted situations
butthurt ensued.

Personally, I think it will be good for what is, but I expect to enjoy some kickstarters I've contributed to more.

Now that I think about it, AoD has a lot more in common with PS:T than it does with Fallout. All the dialog (or text adventure which plays like a dialog tree) with stat checks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I do think AoD is similar to Fallout, despite VD's protestations. You could view it as an attempt to implement a PS:T-like game within the framework of Fallout-like gameplay mechanics, perhaps.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is that even a topic of debate? The whole interface, style and combat system, not to mention the character creation.

And that's not a bad thing, mind you.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But not the gameplay, which is what counts the most.

But the core gameplay mechanics are also Fallout-like. Torment was about dialogue and stat checks like AoD, true, but the idea that your entire interaction with the world, and your ability to survive in it, is governed primarily by a set of skills that need to be constantly upgraded is Fallout taken to its extreme.

You didn't really need to worry about your stats or think about how you were going to raise them to get by in Torment.

So I would say that gameplay is similar to Fallout but gameplay content is different. Much like how Torment compares to Baldur's Gate.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think it's cool if it's possible to finish the game sometimes in 20 minutes, others in 8 hours... it adds a lot more to the replayability than having all playthroughs going throught all the events ans lasting the same.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It depends on the character, doesn't it? You can do every quest in Teron or leave the town early on (say, during the first assassins' quest), you can fight or you can click through dialogue options. Etc.

Overall, the demo is very representative of the full game, but some characters didn't get a chance to shine there yet. Praetors and loremasters will see a lot more action in the game (praetors acting as ambassadors and agents, loremasters poking around the ruins and fucking with things they probably shouldn't).

And yes, replayability and multiple paths do reduce the length. Teron has over 30 quests, but you get 5-8 per playthrough. Obviously, playing 30+ quests in a linear fashion takes longer than playing 5-8.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I don't want to sound negative or preachy. I really like your game (not that it means much). It could use some better storytelling, sure, but it is a gem and NOT flawed.
Thanks.

The concern is the fact, that the game being too short for any character, will be panned for the unfair reason that it did not have enough content and one can 'beat' it in a 5-6 hours. I would seriously consider making this explicit on your game ads, however you choose to make them, with clear and bold statements that A single playthrough is NOT the total game but completely varied experience is to be had from each class.
Well, if someone plays the demo once and doesn't like it (i.e. has no desire to play it again with a different character), then I doubt that an explicitly stated ad will change anything.

Captain Shrek

I think people have a right to expect what they should get from a game and thus to know what they are buying.

Vault Dweller

Developer
That's what the demo is for, isn't it?

I agree, of course, that replayability is actually a feature here and ideally, this needs to be communicated to people, but in reality, people will just download the demo, play it, and form their own opinions. These days nobody really trusts what game ads say (and for a good reason).

Captain Shrek

That's what the demo is for, isn't it?

I agree, of course, that replayability is actually a feature here and ideally, this needs to be communicated to people, but in reality, people will just download the demo, play it, and form their own opinions. These days nobody really trusts what game ads say (and for a good reason).
By somebody you mean people here?

That is certainly not true. People do trust ads and there is NOTHING preventing them from not forming their opinions from the demo when you make banners. Let's just say that this a guiding information rather than an ad. And you are not even exaggerating to boot.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Just advertise distinct, overlapping storylines for each character class. If people like the game enough they wish it was longer, then knowing this will be enough to communicate that its worth it to try with a new character. If they don't like it enough to want more, no amount of replayability will help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom