Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Age of Decadence German Translation (Deutsche Übersetzung)

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
here the in game desc for the loremaster background (file scripts\data\slides\vignette.cs), if it helps you:
"As a child, you loved listening to stories about the old days, filled with gods fighting alongside men, power-wielding magi - more demigods than human, and monsters conjured by the cowardly Qantari. So when an opportunity presented itself, you signed up as an apprentice to a local loremaster named Feng. Loremasters have always been in demand. While the future offers little, the past is rich and ripe for the taking. You just need to know where to dig and what to do with it, and that's where loremasters came in. To master their craft, they dug through ruins, copied ancient manuscripts, often without understanding them, traded bits and pieces of pre-war knowledge, and appraised anything that looked old. While the magi are long-gone, the machines they built still remain and loremasters are the only ones who may have the knowledge to bring them back.

Also, make sure it will fit in the in game character screen, I would say that longer than 10 letters won't fit:
aod-char-creation.jpg

;)

Zoneling

Literate
here the in game desc for the loremaster background (file scripts\data\slides\vignette.cs), if it helps you:
"As a child, you loved listening to stories about the old days, filled with gods fighting alongside men, power-wielding magi - more demigods than human, and monsters conjured by the cowardly Qantari. So when an opportunity presented itself, you signed up as an apprentice to a local loremaster named Feng. Loremasters have always been in demand. While the future offers little, the past is rich and ripe for the taking. You just need to know where to dig and what to do with it, and that's where loremasters came in. To master their craft, they dug through ruins, copied ancient manuscripts, often without understanding them, traded bits and pieces of pre-war knowledge, and appraised anything that looked old. While the magi are long-gone, the machines they built still remain and loremasters are the only ones who may have the knowledge to bring them back.

Also, make sure it will fit in the in game character screen, I would say that longer than 10 letters won't fit:

;)

Good point. It might be best to stick to Gelehrter even if it isn't entirely correct. I guess the previous statement about Loremasters being quite different in what they do is correct also, I might have generalised a bit too much there.

I'll leave it up to the germanbros to decide on the word though.

Zann

Cipher
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'd go for "Gelehrter" too, since they're not really teachers, except to their apprentices.

Zoneling

Literate
Hey VentilatorOfDoom, this translation looks a bit off to me:

@36 Loremaster
After spending weeks and sometimes months on the road...

=

Nachdem sie Wochen, manchmal Monate, auf der Straße zugebracht hatten...

Shouldn't it be something like "Nachdem sie Wochen, manchmal Monate, unterwegs waren..."

I have changed it to the latter part, but maybe I am wrong??

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Definitely not auf der Strasse. It's obviously supposed to mean travelling and not standing around begging.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, as a general note that I also remember from dunjin rats: make sure to keep track of the quotation marks in the dialogues. It might not be true for AoD, dunno, but I remember in DR herr dweller had a very nasty habit of never closing his quotes, so most of the dialogues looked like:

"Blablablabla

"and more blablablabla

"updated my journal

"you motherfucker."

Zoneling

Literate
Oh yeah I noticed this a long time ago, no worries. Luckily the original quotes above the = mark have the quotations marked clearly so it's easy to keep track of.

Kahr

VoDs Version is better imo. Has nothing to do with begging, it's just very bookish.
Sounds like something that could stand in German Baldurs Gate.

Kahr

VoDs Version is better imo. Has nothing to do with begging, it's just very bookish.

So you mean you prefer it for nostalgic reasons?

I'm a bit confused by what you mean when you say "bookish".
Yeah. Like Roxor said: It's very literary. Nobody would use it in daily life compared to "unterwegs sein".
It would be very fitting in fantasy books and therefore also in fantasy-themed games i guess.
AoD is more fantasy than post-apoc in my opinion. In Fallout it would sound stupid for example.

Zoneling

Literate

So you mean you prefer it for nostalgic reasons?

I'm a bit confused by what you mean when you say "bookish".
Yeah. Like Roxor said: It's very literary. Nobody would use it in daily life compared to "unterwegs sein".
It would be very fitting in fantasy books and therefore also in fantasy-themed games i guess.
AoD is more fantasy than post-apoc in my opinion. In Fallout it would sound stupid for example.

Hmm...
I am just going to have to be honest here, I really just disagree.

AoD is a post-apocalyptic game with occult themes in my opinion. There is very little "magic", not anything that the player can execute anyways, and most of the magical stuff is attributed to brilliant futuristic science stuff, most of it based off occult powers.

Even if it was a fantasy game, intentionally including a mistake like that just doesn't sit well with me, but then again, I have very little experience with German language in-jokes when it comes to stuff like this, so I am really conflicted.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I have changed it to the latter part, but maybe I am wrong??
I probably got influenced by "on the road" which is literally auf der Strasse, unterwegs sounds more fitting here
(for the record, auf der Strasse zubringen doesn't mean begging, tho in addition to traveling the road it can also mean being homeless, so it is at the very least ambigous - so unterwegs sein seems better in this instance)

Last edited:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
After spending weeks and sometimes months on the road
Warning, this part of text is also meet in the following files:
-phrases.cs (script\data\text) at @393 +@391
-vignette_thief at @185+@192
-quest-TG3.mis (level folder) at @72
And yes, they are considered as travelers

Parabalus

Arcane
It might be worth looking into some of those tools for collaborative translation for this, the game is pretty massive.

Some suggestions for the phrase-list from last page:
Body count - Todesopferzahl --simplest imo
Charter - Satzung --refers to IG charter, by-laws seem ok
Charisma - Charisma --simplest imo, that's what Fallout used
Commercium - Kommerzium --looks better to me
Etiquette - Etikette
Impersonate - nachnamen
Infiltrator - unterwanderer
Interrogator - Vernehmer
Kingslayer - Königsmörder
Liegeman - Gefolgsman
Liquid Fire - flüssigfeuer
Lockpicking - schlösser knacken
Loyalty - Loyalität/Ergebenheit
Manipulator - Drahtzieher
Mercenary - Söldner
Mind shield - Gedankenschild
power armor - Powerrüstung --Fallout, don't really like it
raider - Plünderer
Rapid cellular healing - Zellen(ullar)schnellheilung
Sneaking - schleichen
Stealing - diebstahl
Streetwise - gewieft

Last edited:

Zoneling

Literate
It might be worth looking into some of those tools for collaborative translation for this, the game is pretty massive.

Some suggestions for the phrase-list from last page:
Body count - Todesopferzahl --simplest imo
Charter - Satzung --refers to IG charter, by-laws seem ok
Charisma - Charisma --simplest imo, that's what Fallout used
Commercium - Kommerzium --looks better to me
Etiquette - Etikette
Impersonate - nachnamen
Infiltrator - unterwanderer
Interrogator - Vernehmer
Kingslayer - Königsmörder
Liegeman - Gefolgsman
Liquid Fire - flüssigfeuer
Lockpicking - schlösser knacken
Loyalty - Loyalität/Ergebenheit
Manipulator - Drahtzieher
Mercenary - Söldner
Mind shield - Gedankenschild
power armor - Powerrüstung --Fallout, don't really like it
raider - Plünderer
Rapid cellular healing - Zellen(ullar)schnellheilung
Sneaking - schleichen
Stealing - diebstahl
Streetwise - gewieft

This is list is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Still not sure about the Germanized Commercium...

Zoneling

Literate
Also, while we're at it, is it going to be "Du hast...", "Ihr hat...", "Sie hat...", etc., for system messages like, "You got 50 imperials"?

Right now we're rolling with "Du".

We could even do a complete 180 and do it in first person, making it "I got 50 imperials" i.e., "Ich habe 50 Kaisermark erhalten".

What do you guys think?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Also, while we're at it, is it going to be "Du hast...", "Ihr hat...", "Sie hat...", etc., for system messages like, "You got 50 imperials"?
Ihr habt

Right now we're rolling with "Du".
We could even do a complete 180 and do it in first person, making it "I got 50 imperials" i.e., "Ich habe 50 Kaisermark erhalten".
You can also just say
50 Kaisermark erhalten

What about the work for Lore itself? Historie? Sage?
Überlieferung or Wissen depending on context

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom