Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Age of Decadence Greenlit by Steam

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate on Gamersgate

Cool story bro.

Modron

Arcane
The only problem with achievements are the idiotic achievements that don't feel like "achievements" at all:

Inventory Master - you've successfully opened the inventory and equipped a sword. Fuck yeah!

I kind of hate achievements in general specially the ones which force you to replay the game just to get a different binary outcome or when achievements are highly unattainable (though this really only applies to real-time clusterfucks). Despite said disdain for achievements, I suppose I would not mind them too much in AoD because it should be the kind of game you replay to see how differently the story unfurls.

With that in mind I think you should limit achievements to certain side quests, quest outcomes, perhaps the attainment of rarer items, and particularly hard fights not to anything asinine like beat game with x class specially since classes are more like starting templates with associated vignettes.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Achievements lose meaning when they are for trivial shit. But when they are for near impossible feats, then it is nice. Or doing something unexpected and having the game recognize you for it.

Modron

Arcane
Achievements lose meaning when they are for trivial shit. But when they are for near impossible feats, then it is nice. Or doing something unexpected and having the game recognize you for it.

True achievements for near impossible things can be nice but then again such achievements can be a bit gamey when you practically need cooperation from human opponents to achieve see TF2 or savescuming/cheating to hell and back in the case of solo experiences. When you have a rise of websites entirely dedicated to sharing saves for the purposes of getting achievements you should take a step back and reevaluate your implementation of achievements.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You can never change human nature. Some people will "exploit" those to no end, no matter what you do.

I think best achievements are the ones you can't actively strive for (i.e. hidden ones that only show up after you've filled the conditions).

But besides, I don't think developers should worry too much about achievements, they don't have (and shouldn't) have any impact in the game experience, after all. They are just milestones and statistics that you can look at once you've done playing.

Zeriel

Arcane
Thanks for the support, guys.

Jokes apart, VD should really add tons of achievments, they are a great research tool to see how people are playing your game.

Do stuff like "played with all classes", "beated the game once", "beated the game with all classes", "died once with all classes", and some for hard quest solutions, like that chest on the palace, and you'll have a very clear ideia of how people are playing, what worked and what didn't, who's your audience and all that.
Pretty much. Achievements are a great tool for designers. I'd love to know how many people failed to get through the first fight, how many people finished each faction's questline, how they handled the mine and the raiders, how many people beat the hardest fights (AG2, IG3, etc), how many people forged the alliance, etc. We already have them, basically: Kingmaker, Kingslayer, Diplomat, Terminator, Explosion Expert, Infiltrator, Silver-Tongued Devil, The Chosen One, etc.

The only problem with achievements are the idiotic achievements that don't feel like "achievements" at all:

Inventory Master - you've successfully opened the inventory and equipped a sword. Fuck yeah!

I'm not a fan of "DO X REALLY ODD THING" that require cheesy planning to do some obscure meaningless trick, but as someone who loves challenging games, difficulty-based achievements hit the spot for me. Stuff like "Beat the game on the hardest difficulty" for games that have difficulty levels. For AoD... I haven't played the game thoroughly enough to point at any one thing, but since combat tends to be a part that people find hard, something like "Kill all the imperial guards at the palace" would be amusing, as long as it didn't break any quests. If Baldur's Gate 2 had achievements, I imagine it would be something like, "Complete the Twisted Rune fight below level 12." Sounds like you've already gone down this path, so kudos.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller
I forgot to ask, what other places will you distribute the game on? Are those DRM free?
Well, you can buy it directly from us (our copy won't have any DRM). Other than that, we're talking to Steam, GoG, GamersGate and most likely the game will be released on all three portals. UK's Green Man Gaming has just emailed us, but I don't know anything about them. Anyone bought any games from them? Russia's Gama Gama (according to Akella who owns it, it's a top 3 digital store in the country) seems to be interested too and offering translation.

So, since we are going with the portals, it would make sense to put it on every portal that wants to deal with us and see what happens. Our copy and GoG's copy will be DRM-free. Can't speak for other portals.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vault Dweller
I forgot to ask, what other places will you distribute the game on? Are those DRM free?
Well, you can buy it directly from us (our copy won't have any DRM). Other than that, we're talking to Steam, GoG, GamersGate and most likely the game will be released on all three portals. UK's Green Man Gaming has just emailed us, but I don't know anything about them. Anyone bought any games from them? Russia's Gama Gama (according to Akella who owns it, it's a top 3 digital store in the country) seems to be interested too and offering translation.

So, since we are going with the portals, it would make sense to put it on every portal that wants to deal with us and see what happens. Our copy and GoG's copy will be DRM-free. Can't speak for other portals.

GMG is reputable.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Green Man Gaming are trustworthy. No idea how they treat their actual clients, but I've bought a few things through them, and the service has been reliable and the prices competitive. The library is close in size to GamersGate's, for what that's worth. You do have to use an annoying client of theirs, though, so there's your DRM.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Vault Dweller

This Greenlight announcement has been quite the PR exercise, hasn't it?

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Vault Dweller, I liked the demo. I will probably get the game on Steam eventually. Let's be friends.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess it was, but it wasn't very funny so I thought maybe I was wrongM:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5! Also it was fucking hilarious. Just like how VD will forget about us peons now that he's made the big time. He'll be rubbing elbows with Total Biscuit, Angry Joe, and Doritos guy before you can say Cleveland Mark Blakemore.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5! Also it was fucking hilarious. Just like how VD will forget about us peons now that he's made the big time. He'll be rubbing elbows with Total Biscuit, Angry Joe, and Doritos guy before you can say Cleveland Mark Blakemore.

:lol: Somebody photoshop hipster glasses onto VD's portrait

"Walking is soo mainstream."

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

:lol: Somebody photoshop hipster glasses onto VD's portrait

"Walking is soo mainstream."

"Hey guys, just got an e-mail from Mountain Dew...."

enCIJ.jpg

:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom