Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The Age of Incline: RPG Codex's 2012-2016 GOTY Results

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
There are 210 people who have graded (I assume played) all three: AoD, Underrail and The Witcher.

Amongst those folks, the regular mean grade for AoD is 4.19, 4.17 for Underrail and 4.33 for W3, respectively.

Although it would be more appropriate to speak about medians, since the scale used is ordinal.

So, for AoD and UR, median is 4 and for W3 5.

How is this exactly relevant?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I guess I should finally play Witcher 3 to see what all the fuss is about. Really suprising to me that on the Codex a AAA game wins GOTY.
Never would have thought that my brother-in-law (very casual gamer) and the Codex would have the same favourite game.

Storyfags, storyfags everywhere, duh. Remember that PS:T is our #1 of all time, above any turn-based combat/gameplay-focused games, too. So this isn't really surprising for the Codex, even leaving aside the fact of potato infestation or any difference in actual quality between PST and W3.

In fact, AoD's 2nd place may also be partially explained by its storyfag qualities (you can play it as a non-combat game + it has some pretty memorable scenarios and characters).

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are 210 people who have graded (I assume played) all three: AoD, Underrail and The Witcher.

Amongst those folks, the regular mean grade for AoD is 4.19, 4.17 for Underrail and 4.33 for W3, respectively.

Although it would be more appropriate to speak about medians, since the scale used is ordinal.

So, for AoD and UR, median is 4 and for W3 5.

No more or less than the rest of the poll.

Also, it shows that amongst those who actually played all of the three games, AoD and Underrail seem to be equally popular, and W3 above the two (albeit I haven't done individual differences). I could perform some median/distribution test to see if there's a statistically significant difference between these three items, but I suspect I wouldn't find any.

EDIT: And of course what I said is not true, actually AoD and W3 are equally popular, and UR slightly more liked, check the post later on.

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Also, it shows that amongst those who actually played all of the three games, AoD and Underrail seem to be equally popular, and W3 above the two (albeit I haven't done individual differences). I could perform some median/distribution test to see if there's a statistically significant difference between these three items, but I suspect I wouldn't find any.

So fucking what if Poles played AoD and Underrail? You still don't get it do you? Shit votes just don't become monocled by playing other games.

throwaway

Cipher
For all the coverage PoE and InExile get there's like 10 games above them that I'm barely familiar with.

The source of the games bit was the most interesting, as someone partial to AA Western releases its interesting to see how the scene has changed.
On that note, which of the top25 (besides W3) is closest to
A)a Gothic-like
B)a storyfag that doesn't get too caught up in its mechanics or being unconventional (AoD)?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

So fucking what if Poles played AoD and Underrail? You still don't get it do you? Shit votes just don't become monocled by playing other games.
If you think I care which game gets the 1st position, you're mistaken. I am more interested if any systematic voting behavior amongst the voters can be detected, the easiest way to start is to compare the votes of those who ranked a few of the same games. I didn't get around to do anything else than a simple average so far. These polls tell less about the quality of the objects being ranked than about those doing the ranking.

Also, I don't understand why these results bring about such strong emotions in you, is that a third world thing?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tags: GOTY 2016; RPG Codex; RPG Codex Awards

Are RPGs better than 5 years ago? Has Kickstarter really delivered? Have indies done any great RPG? Are we getting more PC ports? Has the "Age of Incline" truly arrived?

Join us now as we analyze the results of our latest poll, where 800 users rated 200 RPGs from the past 5 years, and see just how real the hype really is.

Read the full article: The Age of Incline: RPG Codex's 2012-2016 GOTY Results

So, the games closer to the left are worse and closer to the right are better?

*Acknowledge this user's agenda*

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Maybe if there were more butthurt people to downvote it without playing like FO4/memetale/DaS you would have your way
Didn't downvote anyone, just wanted to get results.

Witcher 3 had extremely positive votes so it's very far to the right, but not as many people played it
Because it has, well, you know, like - bad gameplay?
Witcher 3 played those who preferred story, not gameplay.
I prefer gameplay because looks like we can't get great story in AAA, and in indie great stories doesn't have great budget to tell that great story really, well... great.
That's why I played Underrail and Elona+ last week, and overall in last few years I prefer roguelikes more.

Also the trick in the poll - many no-RPG were included, like clearly-no-RPG like Xenonauts, to Witcher 3 who is at best action-RPG, but with killed exploration and level-based fights.
I wonder what could happend if things like Battlefield and Dota 2 were included.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
RPG incline is a polish kurwa without teeth smiling to you.

A popamole at the top?

Edit. On a more serious note, your analysis is shit, because you just don't remove causality. A lot of pseudo scientists do shit like that and then brag that it's representative, while it actually isn't. You still don't get it...

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Funny, there are 10 games "better" than PoE that I haven't even heard of. This is great, tons of fun still to be had! :M

Just lol at Hong Kong & Grimrocks being so high.

Tyranny and Banner Saga being that low surprised me.

Deleted member 7219

I guess I should finally play Witcher 3 to see what all the fuss is about. Really suprising to me that on the Codex a AAA game wins GOTY.
Never would have thought that my brother-in-law (very casual gamer) and the Codex would have the same favourite game.

Storyfags, storyfags everywhere, duh. Remember that PS:T is our #1 of all time, above any turn-based combat/gameplay-focused games, too. So this isn't really surprising for the Codex, even leaving aside the fact of potato infestation or any difference in actual quality between PST and W3.

In fact, AoD's 2nd place may also be partially explained by its storyfag qualities (you can play it as a non-combat game + it has some pretty memorable scenarios and characters).

Are you telling me you didn't enjoy the storyfagginess in TitS 1?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So much butthurt because of the simple fact that Twitcher 3 is a great game :positive:Go back to your monocle Dark Souls that can't even be played without a fucking console-thingie, or Pillars of Mediocrity, with so deep story that you will literally fall asleep when reading that bland copy-pasted bullshit.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Hey why the fuck are the Souls games in the top 20? They don't have Choices and Consequences™. Or 2,542,674 lines of text. Fucking ADD crowd ruining mah RPGs.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron

A popamole at the top?

Edit. On a more serious note, your analysis is shit, because you just don't remove causality. A lot pseudo scientists do shit like that and then brag that it's representative, while it actually isn't. You still don't get it...

Causality? In a poll? What I did was descriptive analysis, which by definition cannot be causal. This poll is not representative, there's a strong self-selection. Please point out where I said it's representative (and of what?).

I think you assume I'm claiming to do something more than I am actually doing.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

A popamole at the top?

Edit. On a more serious note, your analysis is shit, because you just don't remove causality. A lot pseudo scientists do shit like that and then brag that it's representative, while it actually isn't. You still don't get it...

Causality? In a poll? What I did was descriptive analysis, which by definition cannot be causal. This poll is not representative, there's a strong self-selection. Please point out where I said it's representative (and of what?).

Dude your analysis is shit if you don't do that. You play numbers like it means something while it actually means nothing.

For all the coverage PoE and InExile get there's like 10 games above them that I'm barely familiar with.

The source of the games bit was the most interesting, as someone partial to AA Western releases its interesting to see how the scene has changed.
On that note, which of the top25 (besides W3) is closest to
A)a Gothic-like
B)a storyfag that doesn't get too caught up in its mechanics or being unconventional (AoD)?

PoE and W2 got bombed by the haters of course.

Indie games got much less attention, so much less hate too.

W3 at the top probably means that noone cares that much either way.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron

A popamole at the top?

Dude your analysis is shit if you don't do that. You play numbers like it means something while it actually means nothing.
That's not good enough, I can only assume you do not know what you are talking about or just trolling.
Pleas answer the following questions:

1) What kind of causality can be detected in a poll that is done without any control, no pretest or post-test measurements, like performing polling before a Josh Sawyer interview and another thereafter.
2) Where did I say this poll would be representative of anything given its endogenous nature
3) What would be excactly wrong in restricting analysis to a subsample of voters, if one is interested in their voting behavior in particular

ALSO: If you are livid because of the bloating of W3 average by the poles, why don't you provide a list of them, and it's easy to check the results after excluding them.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
1) What kind of causality can be detected in a poll that is done without any control, no pretest or post-test measurements, like performing polling before a Josh Sawyer interview and another thereafter.
2) Where did I say this poll would be representative of anything given its endogenous nature
3) What would be excactly wrong in restricting analysis to a subsample of voters, if one is interested in their voting behavior in particular

ALSO: If you are livid because of the bloating of W3 average by the poles, why don't you provide a list of them, and it's easy to check the results after excluding them.

1. So I ask you this: how can you analyze anything it and get meaningfull results without any serious measurements? Besides like JS interview or similar events would change the poll results.
2. Your playing with numbers like they mean something, while actually you just wanted Scrooge, Bee and others to get wet because of the size of your "statistical penis".
3. Nothing it's that it's just meaningless, don't pretend that it isn't. This common board room garbage. Peeps analyze shit, without understanding it and then draw conclusions that are as good as the numbers themselves.

You think I keep records of polish residents in codex?

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
9e91c0d37bbcf84fbdf1bf9280ec18d2a8e334ad3bcc6184b0bc974b5c8f24b8.jpg

Deleted member 7219

Anyway, I'm glad The Witcher 3 got best RPG and not just because of the butthurt it creates here among the usual suspects.

It really is the best RPG since Fallout: New Vegas, and it absolutely showed up the shittiness of Bethesda and Fallout 4, which is priceless.

A shame that Pillars of Eternity and Shadowrun: Hong Kong got hate-bombed, but ho hum.

Best RPG of 2017-2022 will be Torment: Tides of Numenera. :positive:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
rpgcodex is officially finished

last person to leave please turn off the lights

don't give me that crap. you wrote positive reviews for both Shadowrun games and that's the result of praising shallow games for graphics. you made your bed. now sleep in it.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
I think I would've preferred two lists, one for action-RPGs (Witcher 3, Dark Souls, Borderlands...) and one for actual RPGs.
and one for jRPGs, and one for turn-based RPGs, and one for story-focused RPGs, and one for music-focused RPGs, and one for your mom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom