Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Alliance Alive(3DS)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Bravely Default-looking heap, anyone playing it?

Malpercio

Arcane
Furyu's output is hit or miss, after LoL I'm going to wait, too many games.

The main writer is interesting, though they are kinda famous for misusing famous names.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This is a Saga inspired game, so buyer beware if you're not into the way how characters develop in the Saga games. LoL was a heap of shit but this one is apparently much, much better. Only problem is that EU got fukt as we're not getting a physical release. Comes out on Friday on the EU eshop.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Appearantly the script of this one is written by the same guy who wrote the Suikoden series.

But yeah well im drowning in games so i will wait.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
I pre-ordered the launch edition for this one. I just got my New Nintendo 2DS last year and have been playing Bravely Default exclusively. Got it through the e-shop since it was on sale.

I was going to pick up The Legend of Legacy through the e-shop next, since I tried the demo and had fun with it. But then I found out the developers were releasing a new RPG this year, looked up the trailers Atlus put out for it and decided to get my first launch edition title with extra goodies.

Canada Post says it will arrive on my doorstep April 3, so I'll share my initial impressions around that time.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Whelp, my impressions will have to wait. Canada Post delivered it to the wrong address. There is a house on nearby street with the same number as us, so they often get our mail mixed up. Have to wait for them to notice and put it in the mail box to get Canada Post to send it to us properly. Fuck.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Whelp, my impressions will have to wait. Canada Post delivered it to the wrong address. There is a house on nearby street with the same number as us, so they often get our mail mixed up. Have to wait for them to notice and put it in the mail box to get Canada Post to send it to us properly. Fuck.
Is it too un-Canadian to go ask them if they got your mail?

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Yeah last week I figured out that they probably didn't deliver it to the address they normally mix us up with. They would have sent it back to us if they had received it. Also, they are not our neighbors they just have similar sounding address to ours.

So Canada Post doesn't allow you to make a complaint if they have your package marked as delivered on their tracking system. Only the sender of the package can make a complaint, not the receiver. You have to contact the sender to contact Canada Post to let them know that you didn't receive the package. This is because Canada Post assumes the sender fucks up with the address on the package and not them fucking up with the delivery. So after letting the guys I ordered from know that I didn't receive the package, they said they informed Canada Post and opened up a claim with them about me not getting my package. They said Canada Post would contact me. That was last Thursday. I'm going to contact Canada Post myself now. It has been two weeks since they claimed they delivered my package.

I'm so angry and frustrated right now.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yeah last week I figured out that they probably didn't deliver it to the address they normally mix us up with. They would have sent it back to us if they had received it. Also, they are not our neighbors they just have similar sounding address to ours.

So Canada Post doesn't allow you to make a complaint if they have your package marked as delivered on their tracking system. Only the sender of the package can make a complaint, not the receiver. You have to contact the sender to contact Canada Post to let them know that you didn't receive the package. This is because Canada Post assumes the sender fucks up with the address on the package and not them fucking up with the delivery. So after letting the guys I ordered from know that I didn't receive the package, they said they informed Canada Post and opened up a claim with them about me not getting my package. They said Canada Post would contact me. That was last Thursday. I'm going to contact Canada Post myself now. It has been two weeks since they claimed they delivered my package.

So how's the game? Should have arrived by now.

Hyperion

Arcane

So how's the game? Should have arrived by now.
Dreadfully mediocre. Just played on Switch. NIS fucked up some really minor shit, like lagging on opening the menu, or trying to change equipment.

Game itself is sorta fun, since it's typical SaGa-combat - HP / SP growth, Ability sparking etc. Like The Legend of Legacy, you choose a formation every turn, and typically have one character im a Guard position tank hits for everyone using a Shield, Sword, or Greatsword by using one of the Guard Skills, while others can Buff, Debuff. Heal, or Dole out damage. It's a great system that improves on LoL a lot by nature of a 5 man party instead of 3....but it's just too damn easy. I gave up around the 2/3 - 3/4 mark because I had apparently cleared all of the toughest content the game had to offer. And it wasn't a struggle either. I facerolled the "uber" bosses. Much like Romancing SaGa, AoE healing is very hard to come by, so I expected bosses that used ApE damage to be rough, but the challenge just wasn't there.

A real shame, becauss the game's combat lends itself to a whole shitload of fun with proper difficulty, like The Last Remnant did.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dreadfully mediocre. Just played on Switch. NIS fucked up some really minor shit, like lagging on opening the menu, or trying to change equipment.

Game itself is sorta fun, since it's typical SaGa-combat - HP / SP growth, Ability sparking etc. Like The Legend of Legacy, you choose a formation every turn, and typically have one character im a Guard position tank hits for everyone using a Shield, Sword, or Greatsword by using one of the Guard Skills, while others can Buff, Debuff. Heal, or Dole out damage. It's a great system that improves on LoL a lot by nature of a 5 man party instead of 3....but it's just too damn easy. I gave up around the 2/3 - 3/4 mark because I had apparently cleared all of the toughest content the game had to offer. And it wasn't a struggle either. I facerolled the "uber" bosses. Much like Romancing SaGa, AoE healing is very hard to come by, so I expected bosses that used ApE damage to be rough, but the challenge just wasn't there.

A real shame, becauss the game's combat lends itself to a whole shitload of fun with proper difficulty, like The Last Remnant did.

Checked FR forums for Cheat Engine tables for the game to make the game harder by changing the DMG modifiers but unfortunately the two tables for the game in there only have "one hit kill" binary options and not the usual DMG modifier option that allows you to put in a multiplier.

What about Legend of Legacy then? From everything I've read it seems to be quite hard-core/difficult and more SaGa-like. Did you play that one?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Thought of a much more elegant solution:

- Since character attributes are set-in-stone, same as in Romancing Saga, you can achieve a much more elegant way of a "Hard Mode" by giving each character a -2 or -3 (or more) reduction to each of your stats.

The Cheat Engine table on FearlessRevolution forums for the GOG version of the game says it does this.

Could probably even be done for the Switch version by Hex Editing one of the Save Game files from the Switch version, just transfer that file to the PC and see if it shows up on a Hex Editor, if it does then do the Cheat Engine stat-reductions on the PC/GOG version, and open up the PC version Save in the Hex Editor and do a byte comparison with an un-changed copy of the save file, then after looking at which addresses were changed go and find them on the Switch save file and change them there as well.

Just food for thought, I know you're already done with the game, but I just like doing stuff like this for fun. It's satisfying when it works.

Hyperion

Arcane
LoL was better on paper because of higher difficulty, and total open-endedness but was even more boring because of 3-man party., and an element shift system that would shift the favor of the battle between you an the enemy by giving passive regen to which team had more elemental power.

This meant every turn was: 1 tank, 1 dps, 1 guy manipulating elements, ot healing. Without fail. Strategy was nearly non-existent, as was risk-taking because enemies worth fighting for stat boosts, and ability sparking were so tightly tuned.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
This meant every turn was: 1 tank, 1 dps, 1 guy manipulating elements, ot healing.

Yeah, this is why I don't like the idea of "tanks" in RPGs. I've never liked it, ever. Terrible design. I like how shields work in the Romancing Saga games better, heavily dislike the idea of having one character whose sole purpose is covering the team every round, it's completely braindead.

To a lesser extent also dislike the japanese way of using elemental weaknesses as it becomes shorthand for "there is nothing you can do to win except use the enemy's weak element, otherwise all other attacks do too little damage". Very lazy design, it seems like it's strategic on the surface but then you realize it also robs the fight of any strategy. Big part of the reason I became bored so quickly with Octopath Traveler.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The Alliance Alive is red pilled to the Beastfolk question:
zTAARedpill01.png
zTAARedpill02.png

zTAARedpill03.png

PrettyDeadman

How Jagged Alliance has come so faggy?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom