Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Alpha Protocol "I finished the game!" Thread!

Redshirt #42

Augur
Finished my second playthrough without killing anyone. Tried to be "Lawful Good" (sparing or arresting everyone) all the time, but again I couldn't convince Marburg to leave (didn't see him again) - kinda weird that I got his dossier's Secret Fact (which was probably needed to convince him) after I've met him the last time. Managed to persuade Parker though. Didn't betray the country, nor did I join Halbech, so I guess I got the Alpha Protocol ending. Again I had to fight Leland instead of the MagicalNegro, really don't know what pisses him off - the first time I killed all innocents and CIA agents and he didn't show up; now I didn't kill anybody and he still doesn't appear.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished the game with one gun/one set of skills: pistol + silencer.
And it feels like Mass Effect for poor people. Stupid game design: kill 40 npcs, 2 dialog options, kill 35 npcs, 1 dialog option....and so on. Unbalanced combat: with maximized pistol skill up to 6 targets can get instant headshots [VATS is shit compared to this].
And over-the-top story: The secret agency that everyone knew about. Twice persons are kidnapped from safehouses, but not the hero. Nobody is what they seems to be = a boring cliché. Mission "handler", quest compass and guide dogs are available in case the player might actually get lost. Good characters are under-used and imbeciles with shaky motivations are overused.
This game does not deserve the price tag and cannot be compared to MW2, because MW2 - MP experience is price worthy.

abdwef

Novice
Just finished it; here are my thoughts.

Don't waste any time on this game.

- The plot, characters, and setting are dull.
- The gameplay is ruined by bugs and poor design.
- The minigames aren't nearly as bad as they're made out to be, but that's not exactly a plus.

Obsidian needs to get their act together...Mask of the Betrayer now looks like a definite fluke.

In conclusion, the game is boring and a waste of time:

2 / 10

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Finished the game too. And I liked it. Safehouses, missions, emails, hitting the girls, playing suave/agressive, it was fun for me. The ending had me laughing, it was sooooo James Bondish cliché hehe.

The bad part is the really annoying camera, that tends to screw up right before an important event or turn of corner. The mini-games sometimes got on my nerves. And I also missed the quick-save option. The game needed more polishing.
Some choices also didn't seem to matter much, like the Taipei ending.

Oh yeah, and the fight with Brayko made the game for ;)
Nothing like exchanging bullets to the sound of 80s van-halish stuff!! And with showlights too!

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Wow. I am fresh after my playthrough full of wonder why Codex did not give it more praise.
For some reason it remainds me of VTM:B. Some flaws here and there but overall very entertaining game.

Hated:

1) Lack of normal save games. I mean, what the fuck?!! I piss on your juvenile immershun!. Just give me normal save system.

2) A bit unballanced. I desinstalled a game after countless tries to finish SIS in Moscow. I chose mostly brawling and sneaking till that point, and found out that it is impossible to kill her hand to hand with my stats before she does. Especially with those blazing guns and quickness. I finally did it by pure luck (after another installation :D).
The same with Brayko and couple of other encounters. They were just ridiculously difficult in comparison to normal mobs. I didn't like it at all.

Liked:

All the rest, C&C, story, dialogs, game mechanics, i.e., sneaking and shooting system based on your skills. Mini games were actually quite nice (5 times better than ME).

The scene with Sie before the last mission is a pure winner. Witcher can go and fuck itself with its sexcards :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hltuM2s9trw

:thumbsup:

I think I will replay it once more.

Cenobyte

Prophet
AP was okay. More variation than in Mass Effect, no annoying aliens or reapers, nice girls (much more likeable than all those Bioware psychos) and one of the most awesome bossfights in the history of videogames (seriously, Brayko with Turn up the radio, absolutely fantastic).

Silellak

Cipher
mikaelis said:
Wow. I am fresh after my playthrough full of wonder why Codex did not give it more praise.
Because it wasn't very good?

Cenobyte said:
AP was okay. More variation than in Mass Effect, no annoying aliens or reapers, nice girls (much more likeable than all those Bioware psychos) and one of the most awesome bossfights in the history of videogames (seriously, Brayko with Turn up the radio, absolutely fantastic).
Wait...the Brayko boss fight as a high-point of the game? One of the most awesome boss fights in the history of video games? Seriously?

Redshirt #42 said:
Finished my second playthrough without killing anyone. Tried to be "Lawful Good" (sparing or arresting everyone) all the time, but again I couldn't convince Marburg to leave (didn't see him again) - kinda weird that I got his dossier's Secret Fact (which was probably needed to convince him) after I've met him the last time. Managed to persuade Parker though. Didn't betray the country, nor did I join Halbech, so I guess I got the Alpha Protocol ending. Again I had to fight Leland instead of the MagicalNegro, really don't know what pisses him off - the first time I killed all innocents and CIA agents and he didn't show up; now I didn't kill anybody and he still doesn't appear.

From what I could tell, you fight Westfield if you've done something that causes you to be linked to the killing of civillians or US forces - just killing a few isn't necessarily enough. The easiest way is to betray the US and openly support Shaheed. But if you've done things that link you to the terrorist attack that will do as well - e.g. letting both Shaheed and that weapons dealer (forgotten his name) go. I know there's something you can do in the CIA stealth mission that makes Westie hostile as well, but I can't quite pin it down - I thought it triggered if you just killed a bunch of the CIA, but if you've done that and it didn't trigger, then I'm not sure. Maybe it depends on what you do with Leland as well - with good Leland rep you can avoid the Leland fight by cutting a deal with him (and later backstabbing him).

Could it alter with whether you convinced Marburg to go patriotic and help you against Leland? I.e. maybe some requirement that you fight at least one of Leland or Marburg once during the endgame? Though I'm pretty sure you can avoid both fights if you tell Leland you'll side with him, regardless of whether you turn on him or not.

mikaelis said:
For some reason it remainds me of VTM:B. Some flaws here and there but overall very entertaining game.

Hated:

1) Lack of normal save games. I mean, what the fuck?!! I piss on your juvenile immershun!. Just give me normal save system.

2) A bit unballanced. I desinstalled a game after countless tries to finish SIS in Moscow. I chose mostly brawling and sneaking till that point, and found out that it is impossible to kill her hand to hand with my stats before she does. Especially with those blazing guns and quickness. I finally did it by pure luck (after another installation :D).
The same with Brayko and couple of other encounters. They were just ridiculously difficult in comparison to normal mobs. I didn't like it at all.

Liked:

All the rest, C&C, story, dialogs, game mechanics, i.e., sneaking and shooting system based on your skills. Mini games were actually quite nice (5 times better than ME).

The scene with Sie before the last mission is a pure winner. Witcher can go and fuck itself with its sexcards :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hltuM2s9trw

I think I will replay it once more.

Most of the people posting are just getting their Kodex Kool Kredit meter up. Personally, I loved the game - much much better than Mass Effect, they're hardly comparable. No Deus Ex, but not a bad shot at it either.

Silellak

Cipher
Azrael the cat said:
From what I could tell, you fight Westfield if you've done something that causes you to be linked to the killing of civillians or US forces - just killing a few isn't necessarily enough. The easiest way is to betray the US and openly support Shaheed.
Actually, the "easiest" way is to be accused of killing American soldiers at the embassy in Russia, even if you actually didn't, because the game is buggy like that.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Silellak said:
Wait...the Brayko boss fight as a high-point of the game? One of the most awesome boss fights in the history of video games? Seriously?

Imho it's very cool in a cheesy way. And since I'm not a big fan of all these serious business, epic RPGs that are so popular these days, it was a refreshing, different experience.
Okay, maybe "in the history of video games" is a little bit over the top, but it was nonetheless a great boss fight.

Redshirt #42

Augur
Azrael the cat said:
Could it alter with whether you convinced Marburg to go patriotic and help you against Leland? I.e. maybe some requirement that you fight at least one of Leland or Marburg once during the endgame? Though I'm pretty sure you can avoid both fights if you tell Leland you'll side with him, regardless of whether you turn on him or not.

You can convince Marburg only if you had finished his dossier (with the secret fact) before the boss fight in Rome. That will make him appear near the end, as you beat the crap out of Leland (either if you fought against him or Westridge; not if you sided with Halbech). You'll have a short conversation and he leaves, so he won't actually help you against Leland. There's only one way how to fight Marburg in the endgame mission - Madison must have had told you that she is Parker's daughter in Rome and you have to use this information to convince him to join your side instead of telling him that his plan is flawed (it should work whether she survives or not).

Silellak said:
Azrael the cat said:
From what I could tell, you fight Westfield if you've done something that causes you to be linked to the killing of civillians or US forces - just killing a few isn't necessarily enough. The easiest way is to betray the US and openly support Shaheed.
Actually, the "easiest" way is to be accused of killing American soldiers at the embassy in Russia, even if you actually didn't, because the game is buggy like that.

As far as I know, that is pretty much impossible to do since even if you kill everyone in the embassy. The game still assumes that you took a nonlethal approach (unless they fixed it in the patch). It definitely works only if you spare Shaheed and agree to 'betray your own country' or join Halbech.

Silellak

Cipher
Redshirt #42 said:
As far as I know, that is pretty much impossible to do since even if you kill everyone in the embassy. The game still assumes that you took a nonlethal approach (unless they fixed it in the patch). It definitely works only if you spare Shaheed and agree to 'betray your own country' or join Halbech.
From what I can tell, the game assumes the opposite of what you actually did.

In my stealthy, non-lethal playthrough, I chose Albatross as my handler, snuck into the embassy through the roof, and didn't kill any soldiers. After the mission, I was chastised for "walking up and shooting my way in" or some shit. Later, Leland explained that no matter what I did, I'd never be forgiven because of the American soldiers I killed at the embassy. Nice, Obsidian.

On my "I'm a fucking tool and shoot everything that moves" playthrough, I chose SIE as my handler, and after the mission she gave me shit for doing things the "sneaky" away, even though by the time I left the embassy, everyone in it was dead.
:M

That's a pretty serious bug for a game that relies so heavily on C&C.

Alpha Protocol: Your weapon is choice! Except when those choices are bugged. Or when the plot makes really stupid choices for you. But, still, your weapon is totally choice. Sometimes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom