Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Amazing Fantastics is Final Fantasy Meets DC and Marvel

The Amazing Fantastics demo is

• 5/5, great

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • 4/5, good

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3/5, meh

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 2/5, bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/5, terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bruce

Neon Arkade Games
Developer
43Kz1ML.gif

aO5nObo.png

7Y7QH9l.gif

Working on the hub world, Utopia.

Bruce

Neon Arkade Games
Developer
I personally find lack of character creation a turnoff, but best wishes Bruce and congrats on release!

Thanks! I REALLY wanted to add character creation but I'm the only programmer and funded the entire game out of pocket, so I just didn't have the resources. If I can make enough money off this game I'll definitely add it in an update though.

I just requested some Steam keys so I'll give a few copies away once they're generated.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just requested some Steam keys so I'll give a few copies away once they're generated.
Just don't post the keys in the open or even in spoiler tags, send them by private message only. Serbian keyseller robots are getting more advanced every day
crazyrobot.gif

Bruce

Neon Arkade Games
Developer
I have 3 keys. Message me if you want one. This game isn't gonna appeal to everyone so please only ask for a key if it seems like your cup of tea.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm a few hours in now and I really like it. I'm reading a lot and it's a great accompaniment to that. The cut-scenes are bomb as fuck and while you're with Mindshock that crack of his cane is super satisfying.

It's like a top tier flash game, extended out in all directions. Highly recommend.

Thanks again for the key Bruce and I'll be sure to leave a Steam review too

Bruce

Neon Arkade Games
Developer
I'm a few hours in now and I really like it. I'm reading a lot and it's a great accompaniment to that. The cut-scenes are bomb as fuck and while you're with Mindshock that crack of his cane is super satisfying.

It's like a top tier flash game, extended out in all directions. Highly recommend.

Thanks again for the key Bruce and I'll be sure to leave a Steam review too

Thanks! Really glad you like it!

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I tried it for about an hour and a half so far and I'll be writing a review.

I generally like the game, though it's very simple so far and I don't expect that to change.

In particular points of feedback though:

+ The comic cinematics are well done, though some of the quality between them varies. I assume that's just that they were made at different times in the process?
+ I like the music and voice acting for the most part, much more than I expected to.
+ The writing is passable, but there were a few moments that made me laugh.
- Some of the early plot stuff in the intro are fairly bizarre and come out of nowhere. I'm not sure if this continues all the way through.
- I'm directionally challenged and would love a map of the city to even kind of get an idea of where I am in it, because I was having some struggles.

All in all, I really like the presentation of everything, I just wish it had more mechanical crunch underneath it all, or even if continuing with the FF6 and Chrono Trigger inspirations, more than one equippable item just for variety and more of a feeling of choices and progress.

Thanks again for the key, Bruce.

Bruce

Neon Arkade Games
Developer
mediocrepoet Thanks a lot for the review on Steam, it was very helpful!

+ The comic cinematics are well done, though some of the quality between them varies. I assume that's just that they were made at different times in the process?

Yeah that's what happened. The first few you see in the story were made several years ago while the others were made much more recently. I'll get the old ones redone at some point.

- I'm directionally challenged and would love a map of the city to even kind of get an idea of where I am in it, because I was having some struggles.

I'm adding a map in an update going out soon, I got a lot of complaints from people getting lost. I thought not having a map would make the game more immersive and push people to learn the layout of the city, but it seems everyone would've just preferred a map.

screenshot78.png

All in all, I really like the presentation of everything, I just wish it had more mechanical crunch underneath it all, or even if continuing with the FF6 and Chrono Trigger inspirations, more than one equippable item just for variety and more of a feeling of choices and progress.

I completely get this, I purposely limited the customization options for each hero because each new chapter is going to add a new batch of playable characters. By the end there will be over 20 heroes to choose from and I felt like managing the skills and equipment for such a big roster would be annoying. Basically, the complexity of the game will come from which combinations of heroes you use together for any given situation, if that makes sense.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bruce The map overview is very helpful. A big part of the issue is being really zoomed into the city overview and having no idea how big the grid is without actually counting it out and then mapping it which I really didn't want to do.

The size of the roster makes sense for your choice, I'll have to see how that pans out and I'll probably update the review later on.

Bruce

Neon Arkade Games
Developer
mediocrepoet Update 1.1 is live. The map can be obtained from Frank's shop and I put in a marker to show where the player is. Also, I added extra zoom-out for the camera (R or right click) to get a better view of surroundings.

Ai4bkL4.png

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played half an hour. It seems competently made, so far. The writing works. Nothing amazing, but I suppose that I don't hate it. Could be a bit better. The dialog boxes and info boxes could use a touch up. The blue text boxes feel very amateurish. Cut scenes are already a mixed bag. Some look way better than others. It would help if you guys went back and tried to improve the quality of some of them. I suppose that this is a first game project. Everything works, but there's nothing really "great" about it. I'm still early on, so I hope that my mind will be changed. I'm a sucker for superheroes. Once I beat it, I will leave you a positive review of the game.

Bruce

Neon Arkade Games
Developer
I played half an hour. It seems competently made, so far. The writing works. Nothing amazing, but I suppose that I don't hate it. Could be a bit better. The dialog boxes and info boxes could use a touch up. The blue text boxes feel very amateurish. Cut scenes are already a mixed bag. Some look way better than others. It would help if you guys went back and tried to improve the quality of some of them. I suppose that this is a first game project. Everything works, but there's nothing really "great" about it. I'm still early on, so I hope that my mind will be changed. I'm a sucker for superheroes. Once I beat it, I will leave you a positive review of the game.

I think I'm going to have the older comic art redone sooner rather than later since it's been mentioned a few times now.

As far as gameplay, what are some suggestions you have that will make the game more fun to play? I relied a lot on the superhero theme to stand out so I admittedly didn't go out of my way to do anything revolutionary combat-wise, which is probably a missed opportunity, but with all this self-isolation going on I have plenty of time to make improvements and drop an update.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
As far as gameplay, what are some suggestions you have that will make the game more fun to play? I relied a lot on the superhero theme to stand out so I admittedly didn't go out of my way to do anything revolutionary combat-wise, which is probably a missed opportunity, but with all this self-isolation going on I have plenty of time to make improvements and drop an update.

What about a sequel with a Shining Force tactical combat like ? I've seen a few good ones using the RPGMaker tools.

Bruce

Neon Arkade Games
Developer
Just had an idea, wanted some feedback, especially from those of you who have played the game already (mediocrepoet, Abu Antar, PulsatingBrain). To add more spice to the combat, I was thinking of adding a Formation mechanic in an update. This will give effects that apply to the entire team, sometimes depending on where each character is positioned on the field. You'll be able to change your formation on the fly.

Examples:

Standard Formation - no added effects
Attack Formation - adds 10% attack to all heroes
SYNC Formation - team moves build 10% faster
Endurance Formation - all special moves cost 10% less to use

And then there will be some more in-depth ones:

Healing Formation - healing items and special moves used by character in 2nd battle position restore 30% more
Guardian Formation - damage done to character in 2nd battle position is passed onto characters in 1st and 3rd positions
Etc.

In addition to this, I'm going to add a second equipment slot for each character.

What do you guys think?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm sorry that I didn't respond before! I haven't played much of the game. Formations is a nice idea. You could do some formations like you posted, but maybe also add formations with bigger boosts to something, but in return, something else will take a hit.

Example: Attack up 15%/Speed down 10%

Or whatever you come up with.

A second equipment slot would add a little more to the game, too. I know you have a lot of heroes, but everything that adds to customization is nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom