Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Amazing X-COM Thread

Repressed Homosexual
I loaded an old save, I have a secondary base in Asia with an interceptor, and it's out of Stingray missiles. There's only the interceptor with cannon rounds and Stingray missiles as stock in the whole base. However, no matter what, the stingray missiles won't get rearmed in my interceptor, and when I try to select armament for my interceptor they don't even appear.

Could I just have hit a bug? If so, what version should I pick to nix as many of those annoying bugs as possible?

I'm afraid that "an old save" just won't do it for a game constantly in development.

If so, what version should I pick to nix as many of those annoying bugs as possible?
The latest. Duh.
The project also has neat bugtracker, so you might wanna post your problems there.

Gord

Arcane
I definitely don't get any "general XCOM prequel vibe" from this one.

They could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by not making the retarded decision to drop the XCOM brand on it.
Might even have turned out decent enough (unless it ended up as yet another cover-based console popamole shooter).

cocorulverde

Educated
X@COM

A cross between X-COM and RL (an XCOMRL). Though certainly not a "pure" roguelike, X-COM possesses several important RL qualities such as turn-based strategy, semi-random battlefields, high replay value, permadeath (of a sort), and more.

The initial goal of X@COM is to put together a more-or-less faithful recreation of the original, though rendered using simple ASCII graphics. This first stage will of course also implement any interface improvements necessary to streamline play (the original had its notable few faults which most remakes attempt to correct). The second stage will expand on game content where possible, not in a way that affects balance or gameplay, but more to expand X-COM's breadth (for example, a greater number of combat environments). An eventual third stage will add numerous optional settings and possibilities which give the game greater depth.

Gord

Arcane
So anyone played UFO AI recently? I haven't played it since about early 2011.

I started a new game with 2.4 recently, last version I played before was 2.2.
Tried one of the latest dev builds (2.5), but due to crashes/bugs I went back to 2.4.
My biggest complaints so far are relatively slow research and high frequency of missions (esp. compared to research speed).
Also Aliens tend to get an awful lot of reaction fire. Even when I want to shoot them, they often get to shoot at me first.
Maps are probably a bit small, OTOH, given the large number of missions, that's maybe a good thing.
That stuff aside it's not too bad. Quite playable and has some fun moments.
Could still use polish in terms of balance and documentation.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
X@COM

A cross between X-COM and RL (an XCOMRL). Though certainly not a "pure" roguelike, X-COM possesses several important RL qualities such as turn-based strategy, semi-random battlefields, high replay value, permadeath (of a sort), and more.

The initial goal of X@COM is to put together a more-or-less faithful recreation of the original, though rendered using simple ASCII graphics. This first stage will of course also implement any interface improvements necessary to streamline play (the original had its notable few faults which most remakes attempt to correct). The second stage will expand on game content where possible, not in a way that affects balance or gameplay, but more to expand X-COM's breadth (for example, a greater number of combat environments). An eventual third stage will add numerous optional settings and possibilities which give the game greater depth.

The Dwarf Fortress of xcom games? Has anybody played this? It looks so good that I may end up creaming my panties.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
JsJvd.png

8IBHF.png

I just started playing again. I'm taking full 12-14 man squads for maximum carnage.

John Yossarian

Magister
My 6 year old son loves this game. I showed it to him last year and now he keeps busting my balls to keep playing while he watches.
"Cuando vas a jugar el juego de los extraterrestres?? Yadda yadda over and over". And then you people say there's no hope.

Why isn't he playing it?

Yeah, are you sure you're not just training him to like cinematic absence of gameplay?

Edit: why did my lack of portrait necessitate a change from the question-mark default pic to the codex troll pic? I deliberately left the portrait blank because I was a fan of the comic book character 'The Question'.

X@COM

The Dwarf Fortress of xcom games? Has anybody played this? It looks so good that I may end up creaming my panties.

It's not the Dwarf Fortress of XCom games until it attempts to simulate the separate random genetic evolution of the alien species played out over 50,000 years prior to the game start. Plus it would need lava.

John Yossarian

Magister
Why isn't he playing it?
He does, but only the missions and only those during daylight. He can barely read spanish let alone english so he can't play the base strategy stuff, and is scared of night missions, even with flares.
Before I get psi skills, and we had to fight for real ( without disarming them first i mean), he does better than me sometimes, which is a little embarrasing.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
X@COM

It's not the Dwarf Fortress of XCom games until it attempts to simulate the separate random genetic evolution of the alien species played out over 50,000 years prior to the game start. Plus it would need lava.

Of course, you're right. It would all just be too awesome and bring about the destruction of civilization.

gejiaxu

Novice
X@COM

The latest mod has lava and a dwarf named Urist McScorch who uses a magma cannon of his own design, if that counts for anything.

Kirtai

Augur
I also posted this in the Squad level tactical thread but OpenXcom has just released version 0.9 which is supposedly fully playable. It's an engine for UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-Com: UFO Defense in USA)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom