Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Redemption's dialogue isn't bad at all, it's like a Shakespearean drama, but less good. "I have spilt my wickedness on thy bosom" is a pretty good sentence that betrays a lot of character from the one saying it.

Hmm. :notsureifserious:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's funny how the same people who tout themselves as prestigious purveyors of the arts always claim the jankiest writing is the best. You truly are the new 1eyedking

Delterius

Arcane
ou truly are the new 1eyedking
20847.jpg

i spy with my little eye wut u did ther

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's funny how the same people who tout themselves as prestigious purveyors of the arts always claim the jankiest writing is the best. You truly are the new 1eyedking

Except it isn't janky and you seem upset. You also said PoE is one of the best RPGs ever, so I don't think you are able to spot quality.

polo

Magister
Sup, is there a pack with bg+bg2+tob+essential mods, like scs, unfinished business, etc?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Thanks, and what about EE, is it any good as an "engine upgrade"?

EET (the new BGT/tutu mod for EE) is a p. big improvement on the old game and BGT - for example, it rolls all creature files into 1 (so you get expected behaviour across the games, dead characters don't return etc.) and you can go back to old areas if you want so the trilogy really does become "one game". But it's a tradeoff since you have to put up with the new and ugly UI (though Lefreut has made a pretty great UI for EET).

I use EET now for all my playthroughs, but YMMV.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Have they finished EET or is it still in development? Do mods like SCS work on it? Does it have problems with the newest patch like every time a new patch comes out?

Anyway, about EE. If you are going to play BG1 on BG2's engine, there isn't a reason not to use the EE if you have it, it spares you the trouble of installing anything to get it running on BG2's engine. There are plenty of good UI mods out there to not worry about that. BG2EE is a different beast.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Have they finished EET or is it still in development? Do mods like SCS work on it? Does it have problems with the newest patch like every time a new patch comes out?

Anyway, about EE. If you are going to play BG1 on BG2's engine, there isn't a reason not to use the EE if you have it, it spares you the trouble of installing anything to get it running on BG2's engine. There are plenty of good UI mods out there to not worry about that. BG2EE is a different beast.

EET is still officially in BETA, but it's as finished as BGT ever was. SCS has worked on it for ages - in fact basically all BGT-compatible mods worth anything do - the sole, notable exception is Level1NPC. Here's a list of compatible mods - quite a few of them only work on EET and not on other installs (vanilla or EE):

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27741

Revised SCS works as well.

Last edited:
Grunker You're telling SCS is not compatible with level 1 npc mod in BGT, or in general? Because I played with these two mods together in the past.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
And the items added by the EE makes a mockery of the Iron Crisis.

Which items specifically are you refering to?

I use EET Tweaks to adjust breakage rates anyway because I like more things breaking.

Grunker You're telling SCS is not compatible with level 1 npc mod in BGT, or in general? Because I played with these two mods together in the past.

EET and L1NPC. SCS and L1NPC are perfectly compatible :)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ah okay. Thank you :D

EE Keeper can do the same thing as L1NPC now though (set character level 0 and revise everything including race, class and kit) so I just use that, and since EET fuses .cre files once you edit a creature it's edited across all the games. Including Fate Spirit summoning.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Things like +1 Axes for 250 gold in Beregost.

The +1 Axe in Feldepost's has always been there and always been cheap? The +1 Amulet of Prot as well

It (or rather several copies) was sold by the smith IIRC.

But it's possible I've been using Hard Times so long it has made my memory of the vanilla game too hazy.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Shadow/EEKeeper has always been useful and you should have it either way. I remember once doing the dead kid quest, but also saving the 14-year-old Umberlant near Baldur's Gate. So, what happened was the Umberlants attacked me when they gave me the body and I killed them all. When the 2 assassins poisoned me, however, I couldn't get the geas scroll from the priestesses because they were all dead. Had to Keeper it in and the Wisdom tome too. I'm still wondering whether that is intentional C&C or some kind of bug, or something else.

Lilura

hey Lilura, have you played Icewind Dale? I was checking your website and I was wondering if you got a Tier List of the classes.

I read around that in Icewind Dale Druids have great spell selection (and cleric too) to the point that they are an alternative to mages.

1) Did you make a tier list of IWD class, and if no, do you know if in the .net there are comparisons between the Druid\Cleric\mage IWD's spell selection (and strengths) and Druid\Cleric\Mage on baldur's gate (spell selection + strengths)?

2) Any chance you can make a guide on how to play SCS? I'm referring to the mage vs mages battles. I would like to read how one should play them :P

3) Have you tried Item Revision\Spell Revisions? Why did you not use them in your playthrough?

4) Was there any particular reason you didn't go for Item upgrade mod by Weimer?

5) You say that Ranger gets access to druid spells circles. But I don't understand you get them on the ranger class, or while levelling the cleric class after you dual.

6) Is there any good big quest mods that actually could be messed up for "vanilla" content?

7) Have you played 'The vault'?

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Things like +1 Axes for 250 gold in Beregost.

The +1 Axe in Feldepost's has always been there and always been cheap? The +1 Amulet of Prot as well

It (or rather several copies) was sold by the smith IIRC.

But it's possible I've been using Hard Times so long it has made my memory of the vanilla game too hazy.

Looks like. There're no +1 BAs in my Beregost-smithy.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
So... for someone who has a really hard time wanting to fork over money to Beamdog and therefore doesn't own a single EE edition of anything, what is it like trying to mod the games now? Big World looks like a really swanky utility, but it doesn't seem to offer support for any non-EE titles, which leaves me kinda in the lurch and hunting down mods from all over the place.

Does the 'upgraded' modding scene of the EE editions justify buying them?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom