Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

hell bovine

Arcane
who the fuck wants to download their entire library of games

EDIT: Also you can install Steam games to any directory you want. In fact you should, since the default install can cause trouble. I have mine on a Games folder on my secondary drive.
The point is that with gog you have a choice. It does keep an online library of all the games you've bought, as well as give you an option of downloading standalone installers. Which means just that, not having to bother with external programs whenever you want to play a game.

Since when is giving more options to paying customers an unreasonable thing?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No orcs in BG1, nor goblins. I've always found that absence interesting, like they wanted to be original and give the more obscure humanoids the limelight - kobolds, gibberlings, xvarts.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
stuffed full of orcs
To my recollection BG1 either has no orcs whatsoever or they're at the very least the rarest goblinoid you can meet in that game. Gaming journalism strikes again, everyone. :rpgcodex:

Why not go the whole hog with that sentence:

stuffed full of orcs, fireballs and evocative locations.

Not just lack of Orcs, but also Fireballs aren't really a thing for a lot of the game, more mid-late to late game & most of the locations were insipid to say the least.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
No orcs in BG1, nor goblins. I've always found that absence interesting, like they wanted to be original and give the more obscure humanoids the limelight - kobolds, gibberlings, xvarts.

Xvarts and Gibberlings are originally Faerun monsters so I guess maybe they also wanted to be world-specific. Same with Ogrillons I believe.

It IS pretty funny that you can find tons of Half-Ogres using models that could just as easily have been used for Orcs though. Always wondered about that. Half-Ogre is an oddly specific monster

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Xvarts and Gibberlings are originally Faerun monsters so I guess maybe they also wanted to be world-specific. Same with Ogrillons I believe.

It IS pretty funny that you can find tons of Half-Ogres using models that could just as easily have been used for Orcs though. Always wondered about that. Half-Ogre is an oddly specific monster
Gas the gnomes.

agris

Arcane
Patron

And Gnolls. Lotsssss of gnolls.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interestingly Mulahey the boss at the bottom of the kobold mines is identified as a half-orc even though that race doesn't exist in BG1.

I wonder if they changed him in EE.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What's the difference between xvarts, gibberlings, and goblins?

Not much in the games (mechanically that is - lorewise Xvarts used to be gnomes), but in P&P Gibberlings get incrementally stronger in packs. There's an area in BG that is themed around this with a huuuuuuge wave of gibberlings attack the party.

Interestingly Mulahey the boss at the bottom of the kobold mines is identified as a half-orc even though that race doesn't exist in BG1.

I wonder if they changed him in EE.

He's a half-orc in the lore as well which is referenced in a few places. But yeah could be they added the race to him mechanically in EE.

Dux

Arcane
Admittedly I don't know much about FR lore but Orcs infesting the Sword Coast doesn't sound right to me. They're more prevalent in the north, aren't they?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
What's the difference between xvarts, gibberlings, and goblins?

Not much in the games (mechanically that is - lorewise Xvarts used to be gnomes), but in P&P Gibberlings get incrementally stronger in packs. There's an area in BG that is themed around this with a huuuuuuge wave of gibberlings attack the party.

I think Gibberlings aren't tool users.

Cael

Arcane

Just think how all those half-ogres came about. Here's your bucket.

Codex Year of the Donut
stuffed full of orcs
To my recollection BG1 either has no orcs whatsoever or they're at the very least the rarest goblinoid you can meet in that game. Gaming journalism strikes again, everyone. :rpgcodex:
Orcs aren't goblinoids, for one thing ;)
The only reason we consider orcs to be humanoids is because it would hurt their feelings. A worg is closer to a dog than an orc is to an elf. Look at our textbooks in transmutation half a century ago and they were clearly referred to as a member of the goblinoids and not humanoids. The magical academies have been infiltrated by gnomes dead-set on pushing their agenda into every piece of literature published and studied.

Cael

Arcane
stuffed full of orcs
The only reason we consider orcs to be humanoids is because it would hurt their feelings. A worg is closer to a dog than an orc is to an elf. Look at our textbooks in transmutation half a century ago and they were clearly referred to as a member of the goblinoids and not humanoids. The magical academies have been infiltrated by gnomes dead-set on pushing their agenda into every piece of literature published and studied.
Just because an orc looks like a goblin, it doesn't make it any more goblinoid than a koala is a bear.

There is no such thing as a half-orc goblin. There are, however, half-orc humans :D

Codex Year of the Donut
stuffed full of orcs
Just because an orc looks like a goblin, it doesn't make it any more goblinoid than a koala is a bear.

There is no such thing as a half-orc goblin. There are, however, half-orc humans :D
Ever wonder what a Hobgoblin is?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
stuffed full of orcs

Bigger/better version of goblins

Cael

Arcane
stuffed full of orcs

Half-goblin humans.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Applied autism: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussi...-finally-answer-this-18-years-old-question/p1

Don't ask me why. I don't know why, I just did it.

TL;DR
Question:
Does wisdom above 18 increase probability of good wish results

Answer:
No

Long Version
I wrote a bot program which did run the regular game (2.5.16 version) with no mods installed and used sorcerer casting wish spells under improved alacrity. Bot then read results from the game screen and saved output to the file. File later was simply processed to calculate results. 10,000 casts per three wisdom values 18, 21 and 25 for total of 30,000 casts and 150,000 wish options scanned.

Below are my findings.

Lilura

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom