Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Theldaran

Liturgist
Tbh those battles belong right in the games.

BGs (even Bioware games as a whole) were always about absurdly overpowered enemies you should battle with the available cheese. The novelty here is that the cheese doesn't even work sometimes. Over time, Bioware dumbed down its games to accomodate their drones (who can't really do videogames).

I mean, put invincible enemies in a dungeon, but put the only weapon that harms them (normal weapons) in containers you must loot, very... creative. Or make ultra-cheese golems in Suldanesselar that you can destroy at will with the cheesiest weapon in the game. Sarevok is all but impossible, but dies with a single Summon Monster wand. Or, if you like, you can Sneak Attack him to death. And so on, and so forth.

So, the modders did nothing wrong, the only thing is that mods are OK being free, paying Beamdog hurts. People complain about the sleazy Creation Club, but don't lament Beamdog hoarding these games.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bear in mind this dragon was called the 'Ultima Master' and cast a mod-created spell that bypassed all resistances that he could cast an unlimited amount of times over the course of the battle without interruption - it's a common thing that modders do where they break the rules of the game, and you need to know the secret handshake to overcome whatever obastacle is in their game - in this case I probably should have a character equipped with Corsomyr and x10 apr. Or maybe I should have realized the modder was referring to the offspring of Elemental weapon from FF7 and brough my final attack>revive materia. :)

I appreciate that Bioware did this to a lesser extent, but they tried to stay within the rules of the setting a bit. Mostly.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Bear in mind this dragon was called the 'Ultima Master' and cast a mod-created spell that bypassed all resistances that he could cast an unlimited amount of times over the course of the battle without interruption - it's a common thing that modders do where they break the rules of the game, and you need to know the secret handshake to overcome whatever obastacle is in their game - in this case I probably should have a character equipped with Corsomyr and x10 apr. Or maybe I should have realized the modder was referring to the offspring of Elemental weapon from FF7 and brough my final attack>revive materia. :)

I appreciate that Bioware did this to a lesser extent, but they tried to stay within the rules of the setting a bit. Mostly.

As bad as Kangaxx himself.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Maybe. Unless I mis-remember, you could cast a scroll of magic protection on Kangaxx and it nulled him, or on yourself and you avoided imprisonment + the immunity spell and he wasn't immune to +5 weapons. These modders just throw all of that out the window, make their enemies immune to everything and then use the modding tools to tag their spells with 'not dispellable and bypass resistance' or the equivalent in the editor. It was done a couple of time in the games, but these pricks take it to the extreme.

Melcar

Arcane
Maybe. Unless I mis-remember, you could cast a scroll of magic protection on Kangaxx and it nulled him, or on yourself and you avoided imprisonment + the immunity spell and he wasn't immune to +5 weapons. These modders just throw all of that out the window, make their enemies immune to everything and then use the modding tools to tag their spells with 'not dispellable and bypass resistance' or the equivalent in the editor. It was done a couple of time in the games, but these pricks take it to the extreme.

Protection from Undead and he ignores you.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
berserker rage is efficient against kangaxx in his demilich form

i remember beating kangaxx back in the days when i played non ee version

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Yeah there's multiple ways of killing kangaxx, I just didn't want to contradict Theldaran on that specific point when I agree with the overall one being made - I think the slayer is another viable method as well. Where the modders always fuck up is that they usually just create 1 specific method (like a single spell) that only works while they break the rules on the rest.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Write-up no. 104: Top 5 Infinity Engine Armorsets

armor.jpg

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Bioware really dropped the ball with armor for F/T and Rangers. I spent the whole game waiting for my personal set of mithril armor because the default leather made me look like a D&D Elton John. I ended up with a mithril alloy in TOTSC, then killed a dragon in BG2 and he crafted scales turned out to be leather. By the time I picked up some elven chain, the game was over and it sucked. Then I finally got some custon chain in TOB and it made my character look like Liberace trying to out-do Elton John at the fancy dress.

God bless the creator of shadowkeeper.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

Let's all take a minute to appreciate how bizarrely forgettable Amelyssan is.

She reminded me of the slightly retarded maid trying to do you out of your great uncle's will and possessions. Standing there with the silverware stuffed down her tits and ink blobs spreading over her blouse that are suspiciously the same colour as the signature on the recently amended will.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Cmon, it's not THAT bad. It's a weak ending, sure, but it's still fun enough to enjoy.

It's better than SoD.

Xeon

Augur
Baldur's Gate 2 SCS Challenge - All 3 Final Seal Fights at the Same Time

Extremely nice, guy explains things and stuff so its fun to watch and its educational.

Stella Brando

Arcane
I'm playing the EE, and I'm trapped in the Planar Prison (the Theatre misssion).

I killled the Warden and took his key. I'm clicking on Raelis Shai and the other characters.

Raelis just gives me the same old "Misssion Accomplished!" message (and all the experience!) each time. But she doesn't send me out.

I can collect that sweet 40,000 XP-per-character again-and-again, though. Not that it's much good in here. There's a moral lesson in that somewhere.

Tried opening the cheat console, but I cant get it to work.

Luckily I keep 100 save game files. Always useful in BG.

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
ToB is the worst expansion ever (except SMAX).
What was wrong with SMAX?
What even is a 'SMAX'? (I can ask dumb questions without fear of the 'Retarded' rating now, yay.)

I also thought Watcher's Keep lifted ToB to, at least, 'mediocre'. Sneaking around enemies, trapping them in rooms, fun exploration, some riddles - for young me, it was a very memorable experience. (And you could play it without touching any other ToB stuff, wich was nice too.)

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I'm playing the EE, and I'm trapped in the Planar Prison (the Theatre misssion).

I killled the Warden and took his key. I'm clicking on Raelis Shai and the other characters.

Raelis just gives me the same old "Misssion Accomplished!" message (and all the experience!) each time. But she doesn't send me out.

I can collect that sweet 40,000 XP-per-character again-and-again, though. Not that it's much good in here. There's a moral lesson in that somewhere.

Tried opening the cheat console, but I cant get it to work.

Luckily I keep 100 save game files. Always useful in BG.

Haven't played the EE in a while, but if I remember they changed how cheats work.
You have to alter the .lua file insted of the .ini file.
You also have to use (I think) a third party program claaed Context.
The commands have changed from CLUAConsole to C:
and finally you should probablt check if the buttons to enable the console have changed as well, this thread might help: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/8317/how-to-tweak-your-game

I'm currently playing a monk for the first time with BGT and have found nowhere near the amount of bugs thrown at me from BGEE. If I can get the quick weapon switching mod to work on my next run - it works with a third party software tool called Auto Hotkey - and it's relatively painless during the game, I really see no reason to ever play the EE.

hell bovine

Arcane
You can edit the lua file with a notepad, by adding the line:
SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')
What I don't know is whether you can add it anywhere in the file, or the location matters, so I just paste it in between other 'Program Options'.

Stella Brando

Arcane
Do you guys know which spells Edwin will cast automatically? Using BG2EE Wizard: Aggressive script, I mean.

I'm not really a magic person, I can't remember what half of the spells do. So I just want him to take care of it for me.

He loves magic missile, and will also cast hold monster, cold of cone, disintegrate, and a few more I can't recall right now - Breach? Melfin's Magic Stripper?

I'm just letting him memorize a bunch of different spells so I can see what he uses. Previously I tried loading him up with poison- and fire-arrows, but he doesn't throw them unless he's instructed to. Which is annoying.

Viconia I mainly just use for healing, which she is always happy to do without prompting. Although my homemade assassin loves going into stealth mode as soon as she starts a spell, making her waste it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom