Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Arguably the main feature of the Assassin kit is Poison Weapon. If you're not playing the EE (where it was first also given to the martial Blackguard class and then nerfed because Poison on a potential 10 APR is pretty huge), it's a pretty fantastic deterrent to mages that you can apply at range and it passes through Stoneskin. With EE it still does the mage interruption somewhat, but the damage is much smaller. You can dual Assassin/Mage solely to hurl poisoned Melfs.
Fireball still works, with PW, right? I recall Arrows of Detonation + PW being a thing back in the day.
Sweet Lord, I forgot that this was something I was supposed to respond to, sorry.
Uh, to my understanding, Poison Weapon only applies to on-hit effects, along with similar effects like Miscast Magic (this was something I learned when I stumbled upon a theorycrafting thread where a Wizard Slayer/Druid build was pushed solely for it's ability to apply Miscast Magic in the AoE of the Fire Seeds spell). So, if Poison Weapon works with the "Detonation" portion of the Arrows of Detonation, then sure, but I don't think Assassin/Mages can poison their Fireball spells.

Cael

Arcane
Arguably the main feature of the Assassin kit is Poison Weapon. If you're not playing the EE (where it was first also given to the martial Blackguard class and then nerfed because Poison on a potential 10 APR is pretty huge), it's a pretty fantastic deterrent to mages that you can apply at range and it passes through Stoneskin. With EE it still does the mage interruption somewhat, but the damage is much smaller. You can dual Assassin/Mage solely to hurl poisoned Melfs.
Fireball still works, with PW, right? I recall Arrows of Detonation + PW being a thing back in the day.
Sweet Lord, I forgot that this was something I was supposed to respond to, sorry.
Uh, to my understanding, Poison Weapon only applies to on-hit effects, along with similar effects like Miscast Magic (this was something I learned when I stumbled upon a theorycrafting thread where a Wizard Slayer/Druid build was pushed solely for it's ability to apply Miscast Magic in the AoE of the Fire Seeds spell). So, if Poison Weapon works with the "Detonation" portion of the Arrows of Detonation, then sure, but I don't think Assassin/Mages can poison their Fireball spells.
Arrows of Det most definitely worked. Not sure if it was patched out. It was a well-known cheese combo. Not sure about the rest, though.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
If a frozen character is killed he will smash into little pieces.

I don't understand why freezing a character destroys the loot but incinerating him with a fireball doesn't. With tobex I always deactivated frozen death destroys loot.

Yep, same as with petrification. And also level drain, from what I recall.

Only freezing, petrification and disintegration destroys the loot in vanilla IIRC.

Xeon

Augur
Is Berserker to a Mage class good dual? I read that Kensai then Dualed[?] to a Mage is great but man, its horrible to play in BG1, I am just not having fun with it at all.

I enjoy playing FMT but its pretty slow to level up in a full group, I already played Berseker/Cleric and was fun so I want to play with a frontliner mage with a full party.

Berseker would probably helps as well against SCS Beholders I think.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, it's good. It's one of the most powerful combinations actually and I remember debates about whether Kensai/Mage or Berserker/Mage is better.

PorkBarrellGuy

Yeah, it's good. It's one of the most powerful combinations actually and I remember debates about whether Kensai/Mage or Berserker/Mage is better.

I personally think that Kensai/Thief beats Kensai/Mage by a narrow margin anyway (because Use Any Item is fucking broken on a Kensai). Berserker/Mage sounds interesting.

PorkBarrellGuy

Yeah, starting out as Berserker is definitely more engaging and cool.

Being able to fucking ignore any sort of Charm Person fuckery (even if only for a bit) is a fucking godsend for a melee murder machine.

Lacrymas

Arcane
A lot of class kits are severely unbalanced and overpowered in BG1, though, so that's not surprising ;d

PorkBarrellGuy

A lot of class kits are severely unbalanced and overpowered in BG1, though, so that's not surprising ;d

Agreed. Would adding something like SCS or DSotSC (or whatever became the vogue for challenge mods) balance out the Tutu imbalances?

Lacrymas

Arcane
SCS is a different beast entirely. There are arguments for and against purism in regards to switching to the BG2 engine in general. SCS does definitely help with the overpoweredness, but the encounters themselves aren't designed for the class kits and there's only so much SCS can do to change that. Bosses are quite a lot tougher (they are redesigned in SCS) and Serevok will be challenging regardless of class kit anyway.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sarevok is a bit too challenging. You can't melee him (he does like 4x25 damage a round), forcing you to have one one character running around as bait while the others hit him with missiles. Not very satisfactory.

razvedchiki

Erudite
You can stay beserker and be as effective,with mage you can actively participate into the mage battles when ie you dont have enough mages to peel off enemy defences in your party.
Dual wielding flail of ages and defender of estheaven,later crom.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Sarevok is a bit too challenging. You can't melee him (he does like 4x25 damage a round), forcing you to have one one character running around as bait while the others hit him with missiles. Not very satisfactory.
You can't do anything to him until everyone else is dead, but I liked it as a climactic fight. It is the most challenging in the game by far and I felt it's appropriate. You can tank him until your potions run out, though, so it's not like you have to kite him endlessly. It does promote min-maxing a bit as well, which isn't a bad thing, given SCS's goal, and it does feel a bit brute forced. It lacks elegance, but I can say that for every one of the SCS boss revamps.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
You can't do anything to him until everyone else is dead, but I liked it as a climactic fight. It is the most challenging in the game by far and I felt it's appropriate. You can tank him until your potions run out, though, so it's not like you have to kite him endlessly. It does promote min-maxing a bit as well, which isn't a bad thing, given SCS's goal, and it does feel a bit brute forced. It lacks elegance, but I can say that for every one of the SCS boss revamps.
The fight on vanilla is crazy easy. You can rest before hand, and you know it is the last fight. Just get all your wizards to memorise Skull Trap and cast them all just out of range of the bad guys. Then have one of your Hasted (or wearing Boots of Speed) guys attract Sarevok's attention and run around the traps. BOOM!

In my 4 playthroughs, not once did I actually fight Sarevok. He usually dies offscreen about 2 seconds into the fight.

Elex

Arbiter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F581HTuZX-M

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/269398

One year ago, a powerful merchant leader named Sarevok nearly catapulted the city into war with the neighboring nation of Amn. This crisis was averted, and the remnants of the organization were scattered throughout the Sword Coast.
Now, the city is threatened from within by agents of the nefarious Zhentarim, who seek to fill the power vacuum left behind in the wake of these events. Meanwhile, the Shadow Druids plot to destroy the city by performing terrible rituals, deep within the Cloakwood. Who will rise to oppose them?

Legendary Companions. Join together with the legends of the Sword Coast to thwart the forces of evil. Features statistics and illustrations for 14 familiar heroes and villains—Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen, Edwin, Viconia, and more!

https://watermark.dmsguild.com/pdf_previews/269398-sample.pdf

Last edited:
So maybe the rumors about BG3 were true? It makes sense for Wizards to make this campaign if they are going to make a new BG game.

Elex

Arbiter
So maybe the rumors about BG3 were true? It makes sense for Wizards to make this campaign if they are going to make a new BG game.
https://www.pcgamer.com/kotor-drago...l-lead-a-new-studio-for-wizards-of-the-coast/

it’s not a coincidence, but apparently is a new ip so no bg3.
"I didn’t think that I would be coming back to the game industry so soon but working with Wizards is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," Ohlen said. "Our mutual love of RPGs, world-building, and interactive storytelling is a perfect match."

What exactly the new outfit will be getting up to hasn't been revealed at this point, but a rep said that it will a "multimedia studio," with "freedom to develop different expressions." Interestingly, and also a little bit disappointingly as a big Baldur's Gate fan, it apparently will not be a D&D project: Wizards of the Coast said the studio "will focus on the creation of original IP outside of the Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons brand."

Lacrymas

Arcane
Ugh, I shudder when someone mentions new IP now. New stuff is good, but everything we've gotten lately has been carcinogenic. Why don't they make a 5E D&D game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom