Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

It Wanted to Purge

ajantis was a paladin who should have survived at the red terror

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I just finished reading your (excellent btw!) writeup on IWD as I finished my yearly playthrough as well but noticed some missing content about HoW and TotLM - would really like to hear your opinion on that!

Not interested in IWD expansions. In fact, I think they are rubbish.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

First IWD with and without HoW are really different games, NoW adds more than new maps and subplot, it completely changes tons of encounters in original game adding prebuff to mages (yuan-ti start with stoneskin and missle-protection, for example) and extra enemies, like fighters to Presio in Dragon Eye. HoW'ed main game is also much harder and more interesting on higher difficulties comparing to original.

So your write up is kinda about an ancient version that is pointless to play and almost impossible to find nowday. Or, another possibility, it was played with HoW but on some noob difficulty where extended versions and extra enemies do not appear.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
What was this for? I guess this is for some Beamdog thing: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2xzJxy

wmMp0Z1.jpg

What is wrong with her face!?!?

I've read the article about Hexxat on BGWiki and goddamn.

She's apparently romanceable for a female protagonist. Imagine that someone thought it's a good idea for our action girl to do some scissoring with a piece of undead meat.

For fuck's sake.
Whoa, that's even worse than their BG1 companions. Clearly someone always installed the mods that made the BG2 vampire chick bad girl joinable and romanceable party member and now wanted to make that sort of thing "canon". E If you want actual romance and sex in your BG2, just install Romantic Encounters. Amusing little trysts and escapades across the map at suitable times and logical places.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I just finished reading your (excellent btw!) writeup on IWD as I finished my yearly playthrough as well but noticed some missing content about HoW and TotLM - would really like to hear your opinion on that!

Certainly agree about Luremaster, it is rubbish imo, infact I abandoned playing through it. Was mainly interested in your opinion on some of the combat encounters in HoW, some are really well done imo.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Certainly agree about Luremaster, it is rubbish imo, infact I abandoned playing through it. Was mainly interested in your opinion on some of the combat encounters in HoW, some are really well done imo.

I think HoW is rubbish, too. I have a half-written retrospective in my draftbox, which I'll never publish. The pure IWD experience is 1.06 core. Feel sorry for all the newfags that only have GoG version.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think HoW is rubbish, too. I have a half-written retrospective in my draftbox, which I'll never publish. The pure IWD experience is 1.06 core. Feel sorry for all the newfags that only have GoG version.

So you do not care about all the hard work mr Sawyer did to improve base game and add some hardcore in encounter design there?

Such disrespect.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Is this opinion considered unpopular here?

BG1 > BG2

Granted, I'm playing the EE version on my Switch so I'm not getting anything even close to the original experience.

But the more I play it, the more I'm preferring the first game to the second.

Durlags Tower is the closest thing to a traditional dungeon crawl I've played for a long time. Tough monsters, traps, and weird puzzles.

I also recently played Siege of Dragon spear... Feels like Dragon Ball Z anime filler.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I think I read a blog once by someone who preferred BG1 to BG2. Yes you're weird for preferring it.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Both have their strengths and cons, overall I enjoy low level D&D more, epic levels in late SoA and ToB not so much.

Just replayd 1 as well and I am dreading starting SoD, never played it before.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I don't remember the author. I just googled "Baldur's Gate blog" and clicked the first result.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is this opinion considered unpopular here?

BG1 > BG2

Granted, I'm playing the EE version on my Switch so I'm not getting anything even close to the original experience.

But the more I play it, the more I'm preferring the first game to the second.

Durlags Tower is the closest thing to a traditional dungeon crawl I've played for a long time. Tough monsters, traps, and weird puzzles.

I also recently played Siege of Dragon spear... Feels like Dragon Ball Z anime filler.

I don't think it's considered unpopular, but I think most around here think each game does things better/worse than the other, and that's the camp I sit in.

Here are a few of my likes and dislikes:

Personally, I prefer the continuous/whole layout of the city of Baldur's Gate (I just kind of wish it was one giant map) rather than the disconnected sections of Athkatla.

I prefer the low level romp of Baldur's Gate over the high level epic adventure of the later parts of BG2, but think the early to mid game of BG2 provided the most fun.

I love how free one is to stomp around in the wilderness, from map to map, in Baldur's gate, and really miss that in BG2, but I think the questlines in chapter 2 of BG2 are well above the standard of quests in BG.

I agree about Durlag's Tower. It's a great dungeon, probably my favorite in the BG series.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom