Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Banner Saga 3 Released

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you just blaze through the game on Normal not caring about tactics and just let your defeated units heal in camp without giving a shit about perfectionism, this is a fun trilogy.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah, i think none of us ever got to a point where we noticed. it really is a visual novel with combat scenarios though
I did. I got so pissed with Gotcha C&C options where you are presented with 3 random options with no clue on how it could end up and then they kill characters, or do other random shit to them. I kept losing people to this shit, didn't care anymore and tried to kill my whole caravan to get some end game screen after which I planned to uninstall the game (it didn't help that the shit initiative system made me not care about tactical battles as well). But when I got to 0 villagers game continued and kept asking me if I want to do stuff that will sacrifice villagers for other stuff and I kept sacrificing my 0 villagers to get other bonuses LOL. After a while it also got boring and uninstalled that shit game. It was worst shit game I played that year.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Come to think of it, I may have hit the nail on the head. Banner Saga took its cue from chess. A turn limit timer that encourages people to make moves quickly and provides bonuses to the least damage to yourself vs. the enemy might have gone a long way to accentuating the positive aspects of the game play. It's best enjoyed as the speed dating version of tactics.

Turjan

Arcane
This is the game where the optimal approach was to have all your people killed because the fights became short, right?

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The game is way shorter than the previous two. Like 2 hours less at least. The last chapter feels extremely rushed. Rushed ending with watching the sunset then credits roll. Avoid until at least 5$

Parabalus

Arcane
Come to think of it, I may have hit the nail on the head. Banner Saga took its cue from chess. A turn limit timer that encourages people to make moves quickly and provides bonuses to the least damage to yourself vs. the enemy might have gone a long way to accentuating the positive aspects of the game play. It's best enjoyed as the speed dating version of tactics.

There is something similar in the Survival Mode in TBS2, turn limit and "permadeath" with you going through the available roster.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Despite being a mechanically shallow game, I gotta applaud the devs for having the balls to
kill off the protagonist if player chooses wrong in chapter 20
and the game still continues afterwards.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game had a lot of problems, but what really killed it for me was probably the fake-gameplay caravan management, where events kept appearing even after all your villagers died of hunger (which should have been a game over).
That sucks, and would have really killed my immersion, but how in gods name did you even get to this point?
When the game got really boring for me, I started to try to lose on purpose. You can't. Even if you lose all the battles, the game continues. The only game over you can reach is in the final battle.

BTW, another pointless mechanic is that the battles where your varl and fighters face against dredge armies are completely scaled - if you lose/gain warriors, dredge tropps will be less/more numerous. They are more meaningless numbers that pretend to do something.

Archibald

Arcane
I think you could also get game over in the bridge fight where you see final boss first time. Either case I would have liked if they tried to not do any game over screens at all, would be interesting to see how that would work out. As for all villagers being dead, yeah, obviously they didn't test those scenarios at all, but I don't think that it matters since game is rather easy and you have to deliberately try to fuck up things in order to kill everyone.

I never bothered playing second or third part, but I think that big problem with first part was expectations, it was more of storyfag game than caravan management or tacticool game and as a result it got lots of criticism that is honestly irrelevant.

Septaryeth

Augur
Despite being a mechanically shallow game, I gotta applaud the devs for having the balls to
kill off the protagonist if player chooses wrong in chapter 20
and the game still continues afterwards.

You can keep the protagonist alive

Just finished the game, due to my autistic perfectionism it took me a lot longer than expected.

I have to agreed that this is a gamer more for storyfags (like me).

C&C in the trilogy actually surprised me towards the end. Choices that didn't require combats and were presented for "flair" in previous installments turned out to have an impact. And so as a player you actually get punished for metagaming.

Also the number of villagers/fighters/varls/supplies of your first protagonist do serve some meaning towards the end. At the end of chapter 20 they summed up and become number of days your second protagonist has to reach his goal. When that reaches zero, you get pulled back to where your first protagnoist is at and has to go through several choices and combat to gain few more days depending on how well they turn out. That's when you go oh shit I better hurry up my progress with the second protagnoist.

I'm usually put off by having player's choices into some sorts of numbers of values... but this one is actually interesting and open up for some replay value. Since I carried my saves over from the last two games I only have to do it once and I sent a character that I saved back in BS1 to defend the walls. I was half expecting him not to survive should I get pull back the second time and there would likely be another event that requires sacrificing another party member.

Overall BS3 isn't that bad. It still suffers from the "rushed ending syndrome" like most kickstarter games, since some significant choices from chapter 17 and onwards were kind of ignored, but thematically the slightly vague ending works. I agreed it's shorter than BS1 and BS2 though that might be due to the huge amount of variation between player choices. For example, if you don't carry your save over from BS1 or let prince Ludin dies, you will be forced to fight your own varls at the end of BS2. And so in BS3 you will be fighting varls.

The story pacing is also focused on wrapping up the trilogy so it'll feel off if you haven't play the previous games or it's been a while since you play BS2.

It's something to grab when on discount, and preferably bingeplay right after BS2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom