Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter The Banner Saga

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by CrustyBot, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    How much money did the soundtrack cost anyway? I'm sure whole games could have been produced for much less.

^ Top  
  2. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Well, all I really want to know is if and when they'll announce the next part of this game. I really liked the first and hope they'll keep improving on the formula.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
    I am replaying this now and making some different choices. I really dig the aesthetics and feel. King of Dragon pass (lite) with combat. The hero quests in KoDP were bad ass.

^ Top  
  4. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    actually it's more kind of hero quest (lite) than kodp.

^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://www.rpgamer.com/features/2014/interviews/bannersagaint.html

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    The best part of this game was its art direction, because the combat mechanics, while tight and challenging, lack variety and are boring as fuck-all.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Wow, no wonder Blaine doesn't like it. This game's combat and character systems are a masterwork of gamist/Sawyerist design. :incline: Roguey tuluse A must-play for my fellow balancefags.

^ Top  
  8. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    But Josh didn't like it.

^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Yeah, I can see why he wouldn't like it due to some elements of its basic design: health = strength, so if your characters get hit hard early you're looking at a death spiral, and the chess-like we go-they go turn-based system which leads to some unusual gameplay situations at the end of a battle.

However, the way in which that design is implemented is very Sawyer. Extremely non-simulationist stats with clear "path of intent" and balance, no OP abilities, minimal randomness, damage threshold-based armor system, etc. It's a very good example of that design philosophy at work.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. dryan Arcane

dryan
    Does that mean you don't like it?

^ Top  
  11. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    this isn't sawyerist design, it just shares the trait of not being fun.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    In typical RPG combat, you get excited by blowing up hordes of trash mobs with fireballs or doing something similarly OP.

Banner Saga teaches you to become excited when you manage to chip down an enemy's armor and save up enough Willpower points to do 9 points of damage instead of just 3.

I love it. But it's definitely not for everyone.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  13. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    You know, for someone who hates Sawyer's guts, you're awfully similar to him in the way that you are able to craft universal laws about what is fun and not fun :M

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  14. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    I never paid it much mind. It's in that lucky spot where I don't care enough about it to troll.

^ Top  
  15. TheGreatOne Arcane

TheGreatOne
    He put 400 hours into Skyrim because Josh praised it. The concept of having an independent thought is completely alien to him. Unsurprisingly also a cultural marxist. Likely a devout muslim as well.
    And the end result is a dissapointing game that even Sawyer himself doesn't enjoy playing? Sounds very Sawyerian indeed.

^ Top  
  16. dryan Arcane

dryan
    Have you finished it?

^ Top  
  17. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    I'm still taking an extended break from Skyrim, but I hadn't quite hit triple digit hours when I stopped.

Never even started.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. TheGreatOne Arcane

TheGreatOne
    He doesn't play video games, he just checks a couple of PewDiePie Let's plays from youtube, checks if Josh Sawyer has played the game on Steam and/or tweeted about it and then decides whether the game has good design or not.

^ Top  
  19. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    I didn't know having an opinion was the same as 'crafting universal laws'.
    By law, Russia is a shithole and techno music sucks. Mint and licorice is disgusting. Lost and Heroes are shitty TV shows. So many great laws, by my decree. :D

I don't hate Sawyer's guys. Not at all. I like him. I just think he has the wrong (unbending) ideas for an Infinity Engine-like game.

I haven't even played Banner Saga. It could be fun. What I wrote was just a potshot at Sawyer.
    Infinitron isn't really wrong either, but the big difference is that the Banner Saga uses a common TB design for a TB game, whereas Sawyer uses a common TB design for a RT game. I think that all Obsidian developers are, at heart, TB designers. They're just forced to make RT games for one reason or another.

^ Top  
  20. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    The thing is that Banner Saga actually doesn't use a common TB design. It uses a very unusual one. Good design, controversial design goals.

^ Top  
  21. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    oh so you just meant

i am sorry i took your general statement as a general statement

I know, as mine was a potshot of you. No one was harmed during these proceedings :)

^ Top  
  22. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Grunker you must be having constant headaches if you read everything on the codex as general statements :D

as I understand it, strength = health and attack. I'd say that's the one uncommon design point. at least in computer rpgs.

^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    No, the most important uncommon design point is the way the enemy always gets half the moves regardless of how many units they have left.

You have ten guys, they have two guys, doesn't matter - those two guys get to move and attack between each of your moves. It's like chess only you don't get to choose which of your pieces moves - it still goes in round robin order.

This makes a strong enemy straggler unit extremely dangerous to your guys if they're weakened, as he can wreak havoc while you have to waste time moving a bunch of guys who are on the other side of the map.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. dryan Arcane

dryan
    Give it a try.

^ Top  
  25. Copper Savant

Copper
    Source? Interested if he actually did a decent critical analysis of why he thought it sucked.

Personal preference is fair enough,but I'd be disappointed if these were his actual issues Sure, you can go into a death spiral, but it's always your fault for putting your team in the wrong order, exposing low armour fighters to attack, etc., not random, and the we-go/they-go system also allows two largely intact characters turn the tides dramatically. Any character with low strength but decent armour can still threaten enemies by breaking armour, possibly causing a chain reaction or just things up, and the more fragile, potential high damage characters like the archers and warhawks have to be protected, sure, but are capable of causing massive carnage if you do. I agree the encounters could have done with more diversity, but the system as a whole felt quite elegant.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)