Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Chess has no hit chance, your attacks always land, WTF is this oversimplified game for console retards.

Chess is a turn-based tactical game

Yes.
Yes, you might call it that but that's beside the point. Chess is not a computer rpg and that's irrefutable. Chess has ZERO simulation elements, it's a 100% abstract board game. Computer RPG might use some (or even a lot) of abstraction but they are not purely abstract games, unlike chess. Chess and CRPGs are two very different animals, what works for one doesn't have to work for the other.

In other words, from the fact that chess is a popular boardgame doesn't logically follow that BT4's combat is not oversimplified*. It's a non sequitur.

*I'm not saying that it is, just that the chess argument doesn't work.

Nyast

Cipher
Game isn't a complete disaster for the few hours I've played but the lament of the UE4 engine as it sobs quietly at its complete mishandeling makes me sad.

Ups, just lost all items in my inventory out of the blue before entering a fight. Fight is over but my inventory is still empty. Last save point was almost 2 hours ago.

I guess game is unplayable, 0/10 piece of shit I hope Inxile burns to the ground. Rot in hell Fargo and every retarded pond scum programmer that worked on this trainwreck piece of diseased pigspit. Suck a bag of dicks. Die.

How is it possible ? There are saving points every 5 minutes. Where are you exactly ?

ColCol

Arcane
Saw the combat and made the choice of first day buying (A rarity for me)

I like the combat and the exploration. I like the hearthstone-like feeling and is neat to see the combos you can build.

The design/look of the game reeks of borrowed assets. The Skill Tree is also really terrible.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, you might call it that but that's beside the point. Chess is not a computer rpg and that's irrefutable.

Indeed. But what is an RPG?

Chess has ZERO simulation elements, it's a 100% abstract board game

It has simulation elements and they are abstract. There is no contradiction here.

Computer RPG might use some (or even a lot) of abstraction but they are not purely abstract games, unlike chess. Chess and CRPGs are two very different animals, what works for one doesn't have to work for the other.

Not really. it is just an abstraction spectrum. Some games more abstract some less. There are plenty of games even more abstract than chess.

In other words, from the fact that chess is a popular boardgame doesn't logically follow that BT4's combat is not oversimplified*. It's a non sequitur.

*I'm not saying that it is, just that the chess argument doesn't work.

What IHaveHugeNick is saying is that non-chance based games have a valid mechanics. Nothing more, nothing less.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Kit Walker beat me to it.

Chess having no hit chance has zero relation to whether Bard's Tale combat is shit or not. That much is obvious. Chess however, is a concrete proof that line of reasoning "no hit chance therefore shit" is moronic.

Don't get me wrong here, I have very little faith in InXile's ability to pull of some innovative combat system, given that so far combat is consistently where they are at their worst. But no-chance systems are absolutely valid and can work.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Kit Walker beat me to it.

Chess having no hit chance has zero relation to whether Bard's Tale combat is shit or not. That much is obvious. Chess however, is a concrete proof that line of reasoning "no hit chance therefore shit" is moronic.

Don't get me wrong here, I have very little faith in InXile's ability to pull of some innovative combat system, given that so far combat is consistently where they are at their worst. But no-chance systems are absolutely valid and can work.
I never said that "no hit chance therefore shit" though. And yes, perhaps it can work, it's a valid opinion. However, and this is my point, if you really want't to give an example where it actually does work - then give an example that is relevant and makes sense. Which means in a CRPG. Giving chess as example is irrelevant and pointless because those are very different genres. Bringing chess is like saying that romance in crpg might work because it works... in soap operas.

V_K

Arcane
Chess having no hit chance has zero relation to whether Bard's Tale combat is shit or not. Chess however, is a concrete proof that any line of reasoning "no hit chance therefore shit" is moronic.
But where have you seen this line of reasoning exactly? Lack of hit chance is just a cherry on top of the pile, composed of a primitive stat system, lack of damage variation and primitive equipment. Given all that, the only interesting options in combat could come from field manipulation, but they fucked it up too by making the combat field too small.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
When I was at university I did make chess and gave pieces hit points and hit ratios and things like that thinking I was improving the game. I just didn't have the business sense of Fargo to call it an improvement to Chess. It would have been called Chess 2.0.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
As for "is this flopping?", let me just say that the game is currently being played by less than 1500 people on Steam. T:ToN (which did flop) had over 7000 concurrent players after release.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
If a mechanic is a regression then by definition it cannot be innovative.

Meanwhile...
ded92514-3dc1-4559-a392-a99771225d07.jpg

http://www.devilwhiskey.com

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As for "is this flopping?", let me just say that the game is currently being played by less than 1500 people on Steam. T:ToN (which did flop) had over 7000 concurrent players after release.

The genre is the nichest RPG genre in existence.
Hell, Bard's Tale was not even the most famous blobber back in the day. I doubt most new gamers even knew about it when the KS was announced.
Torment on the other hand has a legendary status and if you play one CRPG you are bound to hear about it eventually

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom