Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

Nyast

Cipher
The map legend is really annoying is a way. They cluster it with all useless things like fay puzzles yet they don't put important things like savepoints and weapon shrines.:argh:

Yeah, that and.. you can't write notes on the map either. And you can only see the map of the current area, you can't browse through all the areas you've already visited.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
But it is an RPG. Wizardry 4 is the definition of a puzzle game with combat, except the puzzles are fucking dumb because if you die you have to restart. Boy I sure do love invisible minefields with no hints of the true path except trial and error.
What's with this obsession with Wizardry 4 of all games? It's not even widely considered particularly good among most people who actually like crpg from 80s, at least to my knowledge. My guess it's the only crpg from 80s you have ever played.
Ah and remember:
troupeg said:
Don't fucking respond because it's true and I won't listen
:positive:

troupeg

Educated
What's with this obsession with Wizardry 4 of all games? It's not even widely considered particularly good among most people who actually like crpg from 80s, at least to my knowledge. My guess it's the only crpg from 80s you have ever played.
Ah and remember:

:positive:

Hey, I'm just responding to the same attitude as nostalgia blind retards. Refuse to listen and just call you butthurt no matter how correct you are.

Nyast

Cipher
I don’t understand how they thought the combat engine was a good idea. What the fuck is up with only having so many points to spend across your entire party? Has there ever been an RPG in history where every character doesn’t get to do something on their turn? The way this plays out, some characters can’t even act if you have a party bigger than the point pool available to you.

This isn't entirely true. While opportunity points are shared across the party, some party members still have indivudual abilities. Some skills are free (ex.: taunt ), and most spells use spell points ( so they're not using opporunity points ).

So the idea that adding more characters is useless because you can't use them due to the opportunity points is half true, half false. There are benefits to additional characters, but usually that won't be through more direct attacks.

bataille

Arcane
So the short answer is: pretty much any time after 2-3 hours into the game, but to unlock all party members will take much, much longer ( whether you use NPCs or custom party members ): maybe 15-20 hours ?

... this is just so dumb. You make a 'sequel' to an oldschool party-based RPG and you gate full party size/creation for 15-20 hours? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Actually, I'm playing the above mentioned Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk, and it's got a pretty interesting system akin to that. Except there is no real 'full' party, but the so called Coven system allows you to equip squads is place of what in other blobbers would be an individual party member. So, 10 hours into the game, I keep discovering scrolls that allow to have, for example, 2 people attacking and 1 supporting them, all of them occupying a single slot. These squads have both passive bonuses and active magical skills assigned to them. You start out with just 3 people and can go to at least a dozen, I think, probably more. Technically, every Coven allows for up to 3 attackers and 5 supporters, and there is space for 5 covens. A very nifty mechanic which allows you to experiment with your party formation many, many hours into the game. Bard's tale system sounds a bit boring, though.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Did you spend 4 months lurking just so you could defend this heap of garbage, troupeg?

I mean, I can't fucking stand Wizardry and early MnMs but come on, BT4 is just stupid.
No, I'm just embarrassed to post on this website sometimes because of nostalgia blind idiots. It's why most of my posts are in Adventure Gaming because there's way less nostalgia blind idiots in that section.
But you have a total of 18 posts, at least half in THIS thread. Alt officially confirmed.
Roqua is that You? Hi, buddy.

Themadcow

Augur
Meh, Labyrinth of Refrain looks pretty good mechanics wise - the Disgaea influence is no bad thing in that respect. Shame it costs the insane sum of £50 in my region.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So the short answer is: pretty much any time after 2-3 hours into the game, but to unlock all party members will take much, much longer ( whether you use NPCs or custom party members ): maybe 15-20 hours ?

... this is just so dumb. You make a 'sequel' to an oldschool party-based RPG and you gate full party size/creation for 15-20 hours? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

You get a full party in like a hour of gameplay,maybe two if you go around exploring every nook and cranny. Also you don't need more than 3 companions,you don't have action points.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I bought a bottle of shochu and am slowly working my way through it. When I get to the bottom I may be drunk enough to give this one another chance.

The stuff people have said about puzzles turns me off—especially when I was watching that streamer play later on in the game and he lost 45 mins of progress due to a bug in the combat that made it impossible to continue (having said that, the guy seemed kinda retarded [no offense meant if that guy is reading this for some reason], so maybe he just didn't bother to save or something).

It sounds like the game is pretty much linear with some side stuff to go back and do when you have leveled a bit, which reminds me of M&MX tbh, so I dunno. I don't mind a linear progression through the game, if the dungeons are fun to explore and figure out. But the puzzles all seem to be pushing boxes and sending fairies along paths? It sounds kinda like Talos Principle, and I guess I'd rather just play Talos Principle for that kinda stuff.

But we'll see! It's only 11pm and I have half a bottle yet to get through, so I might end up playing this in a few hours lol

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I don’t understand how they thought the combat engine was a good idea. What the fuck is up with only having so many points to spend across your entire party? Has there ever been an RPG in history where every character doesn’t get to do something on their turn? The way this plays out, some characters can’t even act if you have a party bigger than the point pool available to you.

This isn't entirely true. While opportunity points are shared across the party, some party members still have indivudual abilities. Some skills are free (ex.: taunt ), and most spells use spell points ( so they're not using opporunity points ).

So the idea that adding more characters is useless because you can't use them due to the opportunity points is half true, half false. There are benefits to additional characters, but usually that won't be through more direct attacks.

The fact that it’s half true and half false means that it’s true enough to make my point. I could understand giving each character a pool of points...but a whole party?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Ok, never mind what I said earlier about Gord... troupeg is coming in hot!! This guy is showing true dedication.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Why are all the screenshots so blurry? It kinda hurts my eyes looking at them.

Because the only two options for antialiasing the game has are FXAA and TAA.

FXAA makes everything shimmery and horrible, while TAA just blurs the living fuck out of every single thing, hence the look of the screens.

You can fix this, I've tested it and it works.

If you're using the game's Temporal AA then I just found out you don't need to enable ReShade, instead you can use UE4's built-in sharpener settings:

- Add the following to the Engine.ini under the [SystemSettings]

r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1.25 ; game default = 0
r.TemporalAASharpness=1.25 ; game default = 0

I found 1.25 a bit too sharp, but your mileage may vary. I'm using 1.20.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Today's patch notes from the EXCLUSIVE REVEAL STREAM:

Untitled.png
Untitled1.png
Untitled2.png
Untitled3.png
Untitled4.png

Gord

Arcane

You're just deliberately being obtuse now, I hope, since otherwise I would be quite concerned about your mental faculties.
Anyway it's pretty telling that ad hominem arguments are all you can muster regarding the points I made.

Themadcow

Augur
Some Steam keys are region locked to the account they're purchased from. Pretty sure it's not that straightforward to buy a bunch of keys and resell them... but I might be wrong. If I am, then apparently Labyrinth of Refrain is 1/4 of the normal price in Norway :/

Morkar Left

Today's patch notes from the EXCLUSIVE REVEAL STREAM:

Untitled.png
Untitled1.png
Untitled2.png
Untitled3.png
Untitled4.png

The game has a lot of similarities with RoA HD it seems... (Except with RoA HD there were only 2 guys working on it ofc with a budget of maybe 100K)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
You're just deliberately being obtuse now, I hope, since otherwise I would be quite concerned about your mental faculties.
Anyway it's pretty telling that ad hominem arguments are all you can muster regarding the points I made.

You've made none.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom