Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by Infinitron, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    Does the game have long loading times? Because that's a common issue with UE4 games (along with input lag). This kind of performance isn't, though.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Bohr Arcane

Bohr
    I can sort of understand them thinking that a pc-focused game too similar to the old BT games wouldn't sell much in the current market (although if they end up losing money on this maybe they'll wish they made a niche blobber with no vo and basic graphics with little more than the KS budget) , so producing something clearly designed for a multiplatform release and with elements from Hearthstone etc, thrown in - in the hope it'll somehow appeal to a wider range of gamers. Ok. But when you promise a couple of sops to the more 'traditional' part of the fanbase, like a grid-based movement option, how can you not have that working at launch? Seems like they're just asking for bad word of mouth.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Curratum Liturgist

Curratum
    VERY long load times.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers
    Sounds like the PCGamer review isn't ready yet:

• Funny x 13
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • Despair x 2
    • Nuke it from orbit x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jenkem Magister Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    Isn't Notch Swedish?

There's your answer.

• Funny x 3
    • Racist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    [​IMG]

Did you play the game, Infinitron ?

Or what's the deal pushing it on people left and right?

• Funny Funny x 9
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Jacob Hey, it's me, I Patron

Jacob
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Speak for yourself, speak for yourself...

^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm not pushing it on "people" - I'm pushing it specifically on this forum's blobber legends like Dorateen and aweigh because I'm interested in their (most likely negative) opinions of the game. Should be entertaining for all of us.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 5
    • nice x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    BTW, in that same folder where Engine.ini is located (AppData/BT4/Config/WindowsNoEditor) you'll also find the general Options file for the game called GameUserSettings.ini. You can enable/disable all of the shit in there and then set it to READ-ONLY as well.

Numerical values for main settings are always 0-3, with 0 being None/Low, 1 being Medium, 2 being High and 3 being "Ultra".

One thing I noticed when I first opened GameUserSettings was that for whatever fucked up reason Textures was set to "1" even though I'd selected High in the game. Changing the numerical value and then setting the file READ-ONLY seems to have made it "stick".

EDIT: Antialiasing values are 0 (none), 1 (FXAA) and 2 (Temporal AA). The ScreenPercentage setting is also in this file and you can go above 100 if you want and have the rig for it... maximum is 200% which would be 4k if you use 1080p.

Also always, always lower ScreenResolutionPercentage instead of lowering your actual Display Resolution for the game, it's much better. Lowering your real resolution affects everything including 2D elements like the UI but lowering ScreenPercentage does not.

If you find everything looks too blurry check to make sure you don't have Temporal AA enabled, and if you want to use it without the blurry filter then use ReShade lumasharpen on top.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Incoming negative review - for all the wrong reasons - from the geniuses at PCGamer.

• Funny x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jenkem Magister Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    so who is doing the codex review?

• cuck cuck x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. theSavant Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I can hardly see the glitches (I can, but they are negelectable), but what I see are the total fugly PS2 graphics. This is abysmal. Even for "medium" settings. I have seen modern games with "very low" settings which still look high end compared to that. That's just disgusting.

Which brings me to the next point:

In my opinion this total ugly town with total fugly graphics has certainly turned off some people playing the game right at the beginning and give bad ratings. I would have preferred a nicer starting place (small village in wood) or at least a nicer town. I'm pretty sure people would have been much more forgiving if the start would have been more pleasing to the eye - take Oblivion as an example (people were very forgiving because of fresh green environment. However starting in a fugly town and continuing in a fugly dungeon that looks 10x times worse than Grimrock is certainly not the way to attract players - especially not hipster and WOW players which were targeted.

Actually this aspect with direct subtraction of damage, no damage variables, and no hit chances was mentioned multiple times after the kickstarter or in some documents. I remember it having heard or read at least 2 times.

^ Top  
  14. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Yeah the pop-in and lod issue can be fixed by editing ini files, but the actual textures themselves... yikes.

^ Top  
  15. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Oh, also here is another apology and a short-term roadmap from inXile on the steam community page.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/566090/announcements/detail/1685925928806603042

They better get working faster than releasing their first patch on Friday if they want to somewhat salvage prospective weekend buyers.

In other news, the game doesn't look terrible in certain spots. There is some decent lighting and art direction going on in some areas. Here's a few screenshots I took. Nothing spectacular, but they made me stop for a second.
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Grauken friEndly mUrderpUmpkin Patron

Grauken
    theSavant
    I usually avoid updates like hell and it certainly wasn't something I expected when I backed a Bard's Tale sequel, seems utterly inept

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Roqua Prospernaut Dumbfuck In My Safe Space

Roqua
    I honestly can't believe he had trouble with any of the combats when he has only a two man party - unless he is going up against the red skulls. I got tired of it being too easy on normal and had to put it on hard. And now it plays like a game made for real people and not console retards. Clearly I am in the pro-BT4 camp and want this game, and inXile, to be successful and continue making rpgs and hope for a more meaty BT5, etc, but I am not going to ignore what the game did clearly wrong. Like having save points heal. Even with the bind save ones with no respawn enemies I can just backtrack to the last one and tag team between them to stay at full. That was a really bad call, along with the items having no intrinsic damage value on their own other than stats and abilities. The itemization isn't bad, but the rpg system and chardev is clearly too lite. Abilities linked to items in this case is okay, since it makes for interesting choices outside of "better stats."

I can't figure out how to respect and looked it up and they clearly state they were adding it so mercenary tokens can be used to respect as the adventure guild - but if you can I can't figure it out. They really should have an option where you get the recrtuiables with zero skill points allocated so there wouldn't be a need to respect like PoE2 did (I think, if I am remembering correctly).

But on hard it is a good combat system, and the game would just be a lot better with no save point healing. And without all the fucking music all over the place that isn't tied to the music volume in options.

• Brofist x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kruno Liturgist Shitposter

Kruno
    You can get healed at those luck posts...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    Can someone explain why grid movement would be better? For the nostalgia factor or what?
    I'm honestly asking, I'm not a blobber fan in general

• Agree Agree x 4
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Going by those tweets I'm gonna guess the review will boil down to "I pushed the forward button and didn't win. Uninstalled."

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Kruno Liturgist Shitposter

Kruno
    To be honest the game is clearly not designed with grid movement in mind. I wouldn't bother. I'll eat Infinitron if grid movement is better than real time in this game.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I've actually been enjoying the free movement in the game, especially when coming in contact with an encounter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. dragonul09 Arcane Edgy

dragonul09
    He's covering all the corners, on one hand he's shilling for Inxile and Obsidian and on the other hand, he pushes people to play the game and write reviews, which translates into more traffic for Codex, a very jewlike business approach, he plays all the sides.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Yep. I have no idea WTF they were thinking with that start, not only is the town itself fugly, but it's just that the entire thing is so sudden/jarring.

The game starts and you see some random people getting hanged... for reasons. Meanwhile some priest-looking guy is ranting about things. You turn around, there's some hobo-looking guy whom you apparently know who says you gotta go to some place and he joins up while talking nonsense. Then you go around the corridor setup of the town while whacking boxes, listening to random passers-by talk about... things. You finally make it to the place you were supposed to get to, when it's suddenly raided by coppers and you gotta run to the ssssseeewwweeeerrrrssssss because dont ask me what's even going on wtf.

No idea why it couldn't just start with the adventurer's guild getting raided and you escaping with the hobo in a cutscene. The town walk is completely unnecessary.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers
    No, he likes it:

• Funny x 4
    • hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)