Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

Curratum

https://www.mmorpg.com/previews/bards-tale-4-the-directors-cut-impressions-1000013907
leveraging the power of Unreal 4, giving it a much stronger visual consistency. In short, it dialed up visual immersion to 10 and I think it shows.

How is switching from fully dynamic lighting - a hallmark of UE4, to pre-baked, pre-calculated, static lightmaps - a hallmark of fucking Quake 1, "leveraging the power of UE4", you insufferable shills? :negative:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
qeCUj5B.png
That's irrelevant x 1

I think I backed at the soundtrack level, PM me and I'll check when I get home whether I have it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Bard's Tale IV soundtrack is on YouTube, but I don't think it includes that track.

Nyast

Cipher
Nope, that's the only soundtrack I was interested in ( the most beautiful one IMO ) and that's the very one they didn't include in their digital download.

Gord

Arcane
https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=20438

inXile said:
Hey everyone, one of the graphics problems that we identified overnight and this morning is that shadows aren't working properly. High and Ultra shadows are not working at all, however, switching to Medium will at least provide some shadows (which us a different tech):
  • Change your in-game "Shadows" settings to Medium in the Options menu
  • Load a save or reload the game to enable the change
They're of course not the best quality, but they'll add that element back in while we work on a fix for the dynamic shadows in High and Ultra settings.

Doesn't seem to work on all NPCs, though. Esp. around the adventurers guild many still won't cast a shadow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I can't play this, it's full of strange design decisions like Scottish cast which gets annoying after less than an hour.
The actual Skara Brae is located in the Orkneys, but even so it was a mistake for Brian Fargo to jump onto the "fantasy should sound like Trainspotting" bandwagon.

Trainspotting2.png

soulburner

Cipher
So how is the performance in this new edition? I read it's much better, but how much better? For example, if you barely had 30fps in the original release, do you now have 60 vsynced or...? And how much VRAM does it eat? Thanks in advance.

Curratum

So how is the performance in this new edition? I read it's much better, but how much better? For example, if you barely had 30fps in the original release, do you now have 60 vsynced or...? And how much VRAM does it eat? Thanks in advance.

I was doing 30-40 in the early game areas in the old version. Now I'm doing between 65 and 75. Haven't checked VRAM usage, but probably much lower.

The original game is almost 50 GB, the DC is almost 30 GB. Given the textures are the same, I think that just cooking the levels with static lighting reduces filesizes MASSIVELY. This also impacts load times - I went from 35-40 seconds to around 10 seconds.

Curratum

Thank god for FX injectors. A Steam user provided this:

The difference is pretty dramatic and with this, even the DC looks quite passable. There is so much detail and shading that pops back into view thanks to the reshade.

Even with compressed YT still images, it's pretty obvious how much is restored:

Vanilla DC:
Q7PDPE8.jpg

Reshade:
kYAJioX.jpg

Neerasrc

Learned
Thank god for FX injectors. A Steam user provided this:

The difference is pretty dramatic and with this, even the DC looks quite passable. There is so much detail and shading that pops back into view thanks to the reshade.

Even with compressed YT still images, it's pretty obvious how much is restored:

Vanilla DC:
Q7PDPE8.jpg

Reshade:
kYAJioX.jpg

The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - (original)

The Bard's Tale IV: Director Cut (Reshade
)

The Bard's Tale IV: Director Cut

Last edited by a moderator:

Curratum

I will try to tweak this thing further tonight for maximum visual gains and the least performance loss. We'll see how it goes.

The main problem for me was the excruciatingly long load times (especially initial load). I played around 10 hours of the original, I'll give this DC a try, but I think it's pretty ridiculous that there isn't at least an option to restore dynamic lighting.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Did they just fucking forget how to make RPGs after Wasteland 2? or was this made by some kind of intern B-Team?

-Still has shitty as fuck combat, stats, items, leveling, and """classes."""
-Main character chick still looks like a mannish dyke

Oh they fixed some background graphics big fucking deal. i'd play this with wireframe backgrounds if it was actually fun.

Curratum

Meanwhile, on Steam, the game has Mixed 60% positive reviews and the top review is negative, with more upvotes than all the positives combined...

That Greek review would hold a lot more weight if it didn't contain all screenshots from the game's Steam page and ONE reviewer-made shot from the starting area...

Curratum

The main problem for me was the excruciatingly long load times (especially initial load). I played around 10 hours of the original, I'll give this DC a try, but I think it's pretty ridiculous that there isn't at least an option to restore dynamic lighting.

I don't think they can technologically made the old lighting a toggle in the menus. As I said, the new game is dramatically smaller in size, a 20 gb difference, which I suspect stems from the fact that once you cook levels with static lighting, the filesizes are much smaller. It's baked in and can't just be restored with a variable. Do check out the reshade posted above, it fixes a lot of the bad things with the DC's graphics.

On the upside, load times are MUCH better in the DC. Times faster magnitudes of better.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Not even a slight discount? If you want a pity buy then set a pity price.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom