Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, it seems its doing really bad, sales wise. Hope W2 will be better and have better reception if its good.

Music sounds pretty good tho.
Torment sales disappoint. PoE2 sales disappoint. BT4 sales disappoint. And whatever the Codex says, these are good games, loved by critics. [...]

Yeah. Really impressive stuff...
It actually is.

Max Heap

Arcane
Divinity 2 did well.
Guess obsidian will have to go back picking up scraps from bethesda though.

:troll:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Haha, this game really looks like mobile. Infinity Blade looks better than this piece of crap.

and The Elder Scrolls: Blades (mobile) as well...
rating_negativeman.png

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

The game is already on 106th place on steam and still gets bombarded with negative reviews, so it's safe to say the game is pretty much dead Fergie, also the only thing to hang is yourself for funneling 10 mils into this charade. Fucking scam artist is up there with that prick that made Broken Age, both incompetent managers.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Torment sales disappoint. PoE2 sales disappoint. BT4 sales disappoint. And whatever the Codex says, these are good games, loved by critics. But still falling short at the box office. Does this mean the end for the nostalgia ride for RPGs? This cannot be a coincidence. If Wasteland 3 also flops, we can say goodbye to these projects I'm afraid.

Who cares? We have Styg, we have Iron Tower, we have the Expeditions guys, we have Goldhawk, we have Wormwood, BlueBottle, Whalenought, not to mention all the promising upcoming games - Beautiful Desolation, Xenonauts 2, Desperados 3, Fallen Gods, Iron Oath, Stygian, Encased - and a hell of a lot more that I don't know about - all from people who apparently genuinely understand what makes us love some of our old games. Not an older generation coasting on nostalgia, while trying to bring their games "to a wider audience".

If we need to 'say good bye' to mid-tier projects that overpromise and under-deliver, what is lost? Nothing, I would argue. Other than the salaries of people making uninspired games living in some of the highest cost of living areas in the world (coastal CA, Boston).

Last edited:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
"Loved by critics"

That is probably a label you want to avoid. On whatever product. Critics are fake news or paid shills.

I think there still is a market for blobbers. It just a very small niche, and being succesful requires in depth knowledge of your target audience, realism about the small scale of your products market potential and a cost / profit structure based on that (and definitely no outsourcing of most of the key components of your game, that is just silly).

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
We have Styg, we have Iron Tower, we have the Expeditions guys, we have Goldhawk, we have Wormwood, BlueBottle, Whalenought, not to mention all the promising upcoming games - Beautiful Desolation, Xenonauts 2, Desperados 3, Fallen Gods, Iron Oath, Stygian, Encased - and a hell of a lot more that I don't know about - all from people who apparently genuinely understand what makes us love some of our old games.
Except that not even one of these studios you're mentioning is making an RPG with full party creation so as far as I'm concerned "genuinely understand what makes [me] love some of our old games" is an overstatement to say the least.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Torment sales disappoint. PoE2 sales disappoint. BT4 sales disappoint. And whatever the Codex says, these are good games, loved by critics. But still falling short at the box office. Does this mean the end for the nostalgia ride for RPGs? This cannot be a coincidence. If Wasteland 3 also flops, we can say goodbye to these projects I'm afraid.

Who cares? We have Styg, we have Iron Tower, we have the Expeditions guys, we have Goldhawk, we have Wormwood, BlueBottle, Whalenought, not to mention all the promising upcoming games - Beautiful Desolation, Xenonauts 2, Desperados 3, Fallen Gods, Iron Oath, Stygian, Encased - and a hell of a lot more that I don't know about - all from people who apparently genuinely understand what makes us love some of our old games. Not an older generation coasting on nostalgia, while trying to bring their games "to a wider audience".

If we need to 'say goodbuy' to mid-tier projects that overpromise and under-deliver, what is lost? Nothing, I would argue. Other than the salaries of people making uninspired games living in some of the highest cost of living areas in the world (coastal CA, Boston).
I agree that we still have some fantastic indie RPGs out there. But it's still sad to see these projects fail. Especially since some of these nostalgia games were better than those indies you mentioned. :smug:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Codes are all the same. There are no unique backer rewards

Screenshots, which you can find in Steam Discussion...

Are proof they have just rand a gambit on every backer. There is NOTHING unique . Give it a day, or do a search, and everyone can unlock the $85 Day One Backer rewards. No need to have pledged, or buy the Ultimate edition.

The so called codes for the unique items... is one generically named code. I suspect it can be entered by a $20 bargain version of the game, and of course, this justifies the backer rewards. Of course, this is possibly the most unethical project in years, now that this is getting out there. Give it a couple of days, and other than the STANDARD Steam Game, these codes will be circulating pretty common. So even if you didn't get extras... take heart in knowing the backers have been thrown to the dogs here. InXile should be doing something about this massive botch job.

Now you know why we are going to 25 links.. NONE of this is unique to any backer package. its all in the game, and is simply a "cheat code" system to unlock the content. There is no Premium, Ultimate version in reality.

Fargo... Fargo never changes...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
True, it's the same thing they did with the Secret Backer Skill in Wasteland 2. +M

Issue with this argument - it contradicts another widespread genre of Kickstarter-critical posts which alleges that companies like Obsidian and inXile aren't "older generation" at all, but are instead largely staffed by oblivious millennials due to the departure of talented personnel

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:
That Mangar's tower bell puzzle. Anyone have the bell combination at the end of the puzzle? I did the sides and pulled the lever.
First you read the runes on the skulls front .. and back, green and red . Then you place those combinations on the wheels according the colors. Then a lever appears in the blood pool, it will raise the skulls, read them like music notes.
Ring the bells in that order 5342142321
Now go to the end, enjoy boss fight not dropping any loot....
:negative:
I read it on steam,i have doing that,it seems that my game is bugged in this place and i get no final battle. Also i read that there is a stairs on a bridge with blood,they lead to the treasure. Hope that helps you.:salute:
yes i saw it, but that fight was labeled as overpowering , while everything else was trivial...
The same as with the sentry tower,it was filled with goblins that i moped the floor and at the top there was four paladin/knights and big demon monster. Really fun battle,while the reward was total shit and not worth the time waster running around for save points. Still the battle was a reward in itself.

Anyone managed to get the constellation part of the main quest? This game have far too much puzzles,the best part of it by now is the starting undertown.

Xzar

Augur
What a strange flop... Not much drama, no funny rants to laugh at... Just a quick, silent death...

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

If we need to 'say goodbuy' to mid-tier projects that overpromise and under-deliver, what is lost? Nothing, I would argue. Other than the salaries of people making uninspired games living in some of the highest cost of living areas in the world (coastal CA, Boston).
It's nice to be on that list, but the truth is that Fallen Gods (and, I think, almost everything else on that list) isn't the same kind of game as the ones that will be gone if inXile/Obsidian throwbacks stop getting made. Colony Ship has more or less all the same features, but it won't be in the same audiovisual league and probably won't have the same amount of content. (Mind you, AOD is my favorite RPG since MOTB, and in my top five, so I'm not slightly ITS here.) Almost everything else on the list lacks core features of the throwback games.

The truth is that to make a long, branching-dialogue-heavy, quest-heavy, party-based RPG with varied environments to explore requires lots of man-hours. There's no getting around it. Even at developing-world prices, those man-hours have a real cost to them. And developing-world games have (in my experience) are typically not nearly at the level of polish as the throwbacks. I myself don't have time/interest for a big, sprawling game like PoE, and unless it's an absolute gem even a game like TTON or WL2 wouldn't really interest me. So I'm not sure I'm going to miss out on anything. But the idea that just because Beautiful Desolation has gorgeous art or Fallen Gods has a few good lines or text they're suitable replacements for Obsidian is misguided.

2house2fly

Magister
Codes are all the same. There are no unique backer rewards

Screenshots, which you can find in Steam Discussion...

Are proof they have just rand a gambit on every backer. There is NOTHING unique . Give it a day, or do a search, and everyone can unlock the $85 Day One Backer rewards. No need to have pledged, or buy the Ultimate edition.

The so called codes for the unique items... is one generically named code. I suspect it can be entered by a $20 bargain version of the game, and of course, this justifies the backer rewards. Of course, this is possibly the most unethical project in years, now that this is getting out there. Give it a couple of days, and other than the STANDARD Steam Game, these codes will be circulating pretty common. So even if you didn't get extras... take heart in knowing the backers have been thrown to the dogs here. InXile should be doing something about this massive botch job.

Now you know why we are going to 25 links.. NONE of this is unique to any backer package. its all in the game, and is simply a "cheat code" system to unlock the content. There is no Premium, Ultimate version in reality.

Fargo... Fargo never changes...
this game is amazing

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
But the idea that just because Beautiful Desolation has gorgeous art or Fallen Gods has a few good lines or text they're suitable replacements for Obsidian is misguided.
While it's true that nobody has made a game like PoE, are we that desperate to drop any pretenses for quality? Keep in mind that the older games these ones are based off of had at most half the budget. I know inflation and such play a role, but they are sooooooooooo far from them in terms of quality it's honestly frightening. At one point, throwing more money at it wouldn't have solved their major problems because it requires a skilled hand for these problems to not be such. These middling AA devs lack good workers and artists, and managers. In any case, I'd rather have all the AoDs and UnderRails than whatever Obsidian, Larian and inXile are pumping out.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
The truth is that to make a long, branching-dialogue-heavy, quest-heavy, party-based RPG with varied environments to explore requires lots of man-hours.

But BT4 doesn't have branching dialogues, and Torment isn't long (thankfully :P)

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Wrote a song about this game. Wanna hear it? Here it goes...

Here is the story of an RPG,
Based upon a famous trilogy,
Thirty-five dollars I was willing to pay,
In order to return to Skara Brae.

Download the game and what do I see,
I can't even create my own party,
Textures look like ass and the quests are lame,
What the fuck is up with this game?

Gave it a shot, four hours long,
So much in this game is fucking wrong,
It's so bad I'm literally stunned,
Here we go Steam, I await my refund...

V_K

Arcane
The sad truth is that it was the only blobber that was successfully kickstarted. Deathfier, and even Shaker (remember that Brathwaite kickstarter?) would probably have been better games, but alas. You get what you deserve, I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom