Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

Ulrox

Arbiter
You can spend the rest of existence being depressed about what didn't come to pass. I'm sure that in 30 years or so, we may see a bards tale 5. and at that point, everyone is hooked on psiclone from xcom apocalypse, and everyone is trapped in their own weird simulations, and humanity dies out.

V_K

Arcane
The sad truth is that it was the only blobber that was successfully kickstarted. Deathfier, and even Shaker (remembera that Brathwaite kickstarter?) would probably have been better games, but alas. You get what you deserve, I guess.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/125859261/starcrawlers
I'm not talking about indie kickstarters. 100k is a very different financial league from 1.5 mil. Technically, Xulima was also kickstarted (twice), but its funding goals were pocket change.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Deleted Member 22431

From the little amount I've played so far, I think BT4 is fun enough.
Definitely better than one could think from all the edgy ranting here, anyway.
It's all part of a plan. The game is bad. We say that the game is horrible. You play the game to see for yourself and realise that it is not as horrible as we said. Now the game looks even good due to the pessimistic expectations alone. In other words, we make you enjoy a bad game. You should be thankful.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Is it playable or TES game on launch bad?

The most frustrating problem seem to be the occasional crashes combined with a limited save system. The game's only big streamer (Cohh) just lost 50 minutes of progress to a crash, in an area where there weren't a lot of save stones. But he said he didn't mind replaying all that cool content :shittydog:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
While it's true that nobody has made a game like PoE, are we that desperate to drop any pretenses for quality? Keep in mind that the older games these ones are based off of had at most half the budget. I know inflation and such play a role, but they are sooooooooooo far from them in terms of quality it's honestly frightening. At one point, throwing more money at it wouldn't have solved their major problems because it requires a skilled hand for these problems to not be such. These middling AA devs lack good workers and artists, and managers. In any case, I'd rather have all the AoDs and UnderRails than whatever Obsidian, Larian and inXile are pumping out.

The issue is these games are being made by a cargo cult. They seem to think they can replicate the success of classic CRPGs by replicating only the most superficial elements of those games.

While it's true that nobody has made a game like PoE, are we that desperate to drop any pretenses for quality? Keep in mind that the older games these ones are based off of had at most half the budget. I know inflation and such play a role, but they are sooooooooooo far from them in terms of quality it's honestly frightening. At one point, throwing more money at it wouldn't have solved their major problems because it requires a skilled hand for these problems to not be such. These middling AA devs lack good workers and artists, and managers. In any case, I'd rather have all the AoDs and UnderRails than whatever Obsidian, Larian and inXile are pumping out.

The issue is these games are being made by a cargo cult. They seem to think they can replicate the success of classic CRPGs by replicating only the most superficial elements of those games.
Yeah, and also they fuck up what people want with rather pointless "eenovaishuns". Case in the point - PoE1 both had tacked up Stronghold, which missed the point of what people liked in BG2 and was done really half-assedly (Tim Cain, man, just what happened to you). And also Sawyer couldn't help himself and made a really boring "new and better" RPG system. I still can't fathom why somebody should triy to lure players with BG "spiritual successor" and then remove combat EXP in a fucking RtwP RPG. For me, this showed both huge ego of some devs, and that other ones became really washed-out versions of themselves. Oh, and that some of those who backed it for nerd cred and left positive reviews probably never played BG in the first place, and/or suck at ADnD, and on top of that never even finished PoE1.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

That'd be Larian and it actually works for them splendidly. They replicated faggoty graphics, cutesy characters, diablo style loot, horribly unbalanced combat with cool explusiuns and sold millions.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, I still remember Tim Cain's updates about the Stronghold, it sounded pretty good when he said it but it was horrible in the end.

IIRC Roguey used to call Larian cargo cult devs or something, seems to be working great for them.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
. And also Sawyer couldn't help himself and made a really boring "new and better" RPG system. I still can't fathom why somebody should triy to lure players with BG "spiritual successor" and then remove combat EXP in a fucking RtwP RPG.

josh-sawyer-pillars-of-eternity-r225x.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh, and that some of those who backed it for nerd cred and left positive reviews probably never played BG in the first place, and/or suck at ADnD, and on top of that never even finished PoE1.

It is pretty obvious, that at least among the people on the Codex most of the PoE fanboys either never liked the IE games or worse, never even played them. Or just played them recently just so they can post on the Codex about how much they suck and how much D&D sucks. Btw, when you see somebody posting "D&D sucks", 90% he's a retarded newfag trying to sound cool and knowledgeable.

So, yeah, spiritual successor indeed.

I'm just really confused how someone could conclude that the heart and soul of Bard's Tale was the first person perspective

Kinda like how apparently the heart and soul of the IE games were the top-down perspective and the RTWP combat, so lol PoE is exactly what was promised!

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm just really confused how someone could conclude that the heart and soul of Bard's Tale was the first person perspective and then strip out full party creation, stat system, item systems, most of the classes, random battles, and then add a dumb skill tree and CCG-style combat.

Well, the heart and soul of Bard's Tale as originally conceived in the 1980s was "sassier, more marketable take on Wizardry with better graphics and music".

In general, creators from Brian Fargo's generation tend to look at these things from a different perspective. What some gamers have retroactively reinterpreted as Great Works were for them merely...products.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Close, but no cigar. A lot of people liked IE games despite the combat, not because of it. RTwP always was, is, and will be an abomination and should have died along with Backstreet Boys and "order upfront party in the back" haircuts.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
The streamer I was watching just got stuck in combat mode, he lost about half an hour. "If I was still enjoying the game I'd give it another go, but oh whoops, it's uninstalled" :shittydog:

Forced replays of the exact same content are pretty much the worst thing you can do to a streamer. Should have gone for another save system :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom