Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by SophosTheWise, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Geez, all those Q&A answers look damn good.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. SausageInYourFace Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Why did you cut the part about the remaster? Olde Skuul lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. theSavant Erudite

theSavant
    Parrots:
    The graphics of the remaster looks amazing

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.mystatesman.com/technol...return-for-the-series/SujRDCebG7ypIEy2tXlkGK/

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Parrots:
    I actually think I will like this game. Don't know about the mechanics, but considering what I've seen so far and what I know about the game (Zeits working on it) I think it will be one immersive and atmospheric experience worth playing through.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Don't think Ziets is involved with this. He's just doing Wasteland 3.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Parrots:
    Disqualified from being a Bard's Tale game, or even a respectable dungeon crawler.

Show Spoiler

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Parrots:
    Infinitron shilling in 3... 2... 1...

• :M :M x 2
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Shackleton Arbiter Patron

Shackleton
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    Where's that 'confused dude' meme when you need it? So this guy has never played a previous Bard's Tale game, but he just knows those of us that did will enjoy it more?

I suspect the truth is quite the opposite. There's a stealth element? Turns can last a while? Hearthstone style combat? God how i regret falling for Fargo's bait-and-switch. Game might be playable for what it is, but selling us the idea on Kickstarter that he was going to keep true to the spirit of the original games was disingenuous at best and a barefaced lie at worst.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Parrots:
    Wasn't your take on it that it was just marketing, not that it would be a major part of the design? I honestly can't remember well, but that's my recollection.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Shackleton Arbiter Patron

Shackleton
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    Yes, I agree with hindsight all the warning signs were there. I guess I fell into the 'confirmation bias' trap and just saw what I wanted to see. 'Reviving a classic dungeon crawler', 'Grid based', 'phase-based combat' got me all optimistic.

I'm a bit like mustawd. was with the Apocalypse Now game when he had his meltdown. Bard's Tale 1 on the Spectrum was my first proper RPG I fell in love with. Even now, I remember sitting in a boring maths class and trying to work out if 'IRKM DESMET DAEM' was a fucking anagram, must be more than 30 years ago. I so wanted to believe it was at least going to be in the spirit of the originals I let myself be persuaded, even though an objective view would have seen it clearly.

Lesson learned, the past is a foreign country and they do things differently there.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    My take is that alluding to Hearthstone specifically was marketing, but of course it indicated that this was not going to be some sort of faithful retro game.

• M'lady M'lady x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Parrots:
    Ah, okay. I understand they think these are unavoidable business realities, but it will always bother me how they milk old grognards for money for Kickstarters with promises they know they will not only not fulfill, but go in the cardinal opposite direction from. Its fraud-adjacent in my book, but evidently not in theirs.

Also... in case anyone forgot: how was it that UBI FUCKING SOFT ended up releasing the only real blobber of this generation? Fargo and InXile are more like EA than Ubisoft? This timeline is nuts.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah ... no. They never, ever "promised" a retro design. Like a lot of people, you saw what you wanted to see and ignored what was actually there. inXile is delivering exactly what they promised.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Parrots:
    :backawayslowly:

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    "Sure kid, it'll be turn-based!" the corpulent developer proclaims while thinking, just like Hearthstone kid, as his smile fades and the light in his eyes goes dark.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Saxon1974 Cipher

Saxon1974
    Parrots:
    What is Hearthstone combat?

I think I am more interested in the remasters. I think these guys only get maybe one shot at using the nostalgia of the older games before the classic fans won't back another KS. I liked W-2 though; thought it was quite similar to the original. Bards tale might be the game where I bail on inxile Kick starters.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Well ... Wasteland 2, Torment Numenera, Bard's Tale IV, and Wasteland 3 all succeeded. To judge by the forums, the classic fans are slowly becoming disillusioned ... but they're backing anyway :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Parrots:
    All of those Kickstarters pretty much happened before the sentiment turned, unless I'm missing something?

W3 was close, but BT4 was still in the honeymoon period. I remember, because I was still pretty optimistic about it.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Grauken Blobber Enthusiast Patron

Grauken
    Parrots:
    Pretty much, at BT4 kickstarter I still had hope, but when they did W3 I noped out. I just hope the game is somewhat fun, at this point I don't expect a competent blobber with cool dungeons or complex party building

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Agree with all that, was just refuting Saxon1974's "only one shot". Nostalgia addicts don't learn from their mistakes any quicker than the rest of humanity.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    I dunno, I enjoyed Wasteland 2. I haven't kept up at all with Wasteland 3 news but I don't see how they can fuck it up other than radically changing it completely (like, for example, not making it party-based and/or turn-based).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 5
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)