Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Facebook ads

I guess they took a page from Julian Gollop's book?: https://www.mcvuk.com/business/juli...keeping-the-cash-rolling-in-for-phoenix-point

“We’re actually still raising funds through our pre-order website,” he tells us. “And we have been doing increasingly well with that, so we’re now exceedingly $100,000 revenue through pre-orders a month,” he reveals. Those new consumers find the game “largely due to Facebook advertising,” he continues. “Based on our original audience, our backers, we can create target audiences. Facebook calls them ‘look-a-like audiences’, they use existing emails to try and match Facebook profiles and their interests in order to target their advertising. We have some configuration over this, but it’s basically a good starting point.”

For such marketing, Gollop relies on David Kaye, president and co-founder of Snapshot, who is based in LA. “He’s very much focused on producing the adverts for this, making sure people are aware of the game, getting the website set up. And it’s all proven highly effective.”

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I dunno about them having 'learned' much, footage of the beta game play showed tons and tons of word-dumping onto the player, most of it complete faff in bad accents.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
They have pulled all the ads except one for the Wishlist. Perhaps the other ones didn't work :negative:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The only thing that gets on my nerves is try-hard Scottish accents in the VO. I'd rather understand what people are saying, thanks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it's pretty normal to use "fail fast" tactics in Facebook advertising. Throw stuff at the wall, see what sticks.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The only thing that gets on my nerves is try-hard Scottish accents in the VO. I'd rather understand what people are saying, thanks.
I can't say I dislike silly accents (cf. every Sir-Tech game after 1995) ... but when every character has the same silly accent it gets old real fast.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can't say I dislike silly accents (cf. every Sir-Tech game after 1995) ... but when every character has the same silly accent it gets old real fast.
At least they're better than the Scottish voiceset in Wizardry 8. Man, that was painful...

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Ah, ya rajie black-hearted bugger, ye've given us not a minute's peace, but now, Hell take ye, ye'll not be troubling us no more!

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Bizarre, there are Larian cameos in the game!

What does that mean? Braccus Rex and Bellegar, nice to meet you?

Darkzone

Arcane
Subtext helps, but once you get into it you will really like the accent, because it makes a difference between your normal environments english language. In that case it gives a tone to the game and is setting it apart from the "common" english of most of the cRPGs. So to say is: that everything gives life to the scottland setting of Scara Brae and making it more coherent: the accent, the music, the bardic traditions and naturally the alcohol which plays an important part of the scottish and celtic life.
If you want to train to understand scottish accent, then you should watch scottish commedy, like Burnistoun:

Darkzone

Arcane
Not all of the accents in the last spotlight video were Scottish actually. There were some Englishmen there, who seem to be nobles/toffs.

https://youtu.be/xOOsoCNmQuk?t=15
https://youtu.be/xOOsoCNmQuk?t=37
Yes and you got also the french armor seller. What i got from different history lessons about scottland is that the scottish and english nobles had estates across the countries. Therefore english nobles were not a rarity in scotland even after the treaty of Edinburgh-Northampton with the "disinherited" nobles who lead to the Anglo-Scottish War of Succession. But don't bind me on this topic, because i'm not an expert in Britain's nobles and my knowledge about the wars (I and II) of Scottish independence is just rudimentary.
This different accents are enriching the "world" experience in my opinion and make the world somehow more "?tangible?" and they are definitly an value additive asset in BTIV.

Perhaps Fargo will be more missed than we think after his retirement with WL3? After T:ToN i didn't cared for inXile and Fargo that much, but after the recent actions like the remastering of BT I-III and WL, he has redeemed himself in my eyes and suddenly i don't want him to leave and wish him success for BTIV and WL3. Perhaps he can buy the rights for Dragon Wars from the italo-french cuisine restaurant owner, then let Kronos remaster it and make a "true" Dragon Wars II ?

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Is Fargo himself behind these ads? "greatly consumed"!

Partners seen so far:

- Darkest Dungeon guys, torch as in-game item
- Larian, character cameos
- Obsidian, NPC and item designed by community

Anyone seen more?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BEvers Actually none of BT4 was made by inXile, the entire game is items, maps, and characters extracted from other games they bought copies of over the last couple years. Insider info, don't tell anyone!

Darkzone

Arcane
BEvers Actually none of BT4 was made by inXile, the entire game is items, maps, and characters extracted from other games they bought copies of over the last couple years. Insider info, don't tell anyone!
Memo: Never forget the Poe's law.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom