Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by SophosTheWise, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    Yes and you got also the french armor seller. What i got from different history lessons about scottland is that the scottish and english nobles had estates across the countries. Therefore english nobles were not a rarity in scotland even after the treaty of Edinburgh-Northampton with the "disinherited" nobles who lead to the Anglo-Scottish War of Succession. But don't bind me on this topic, because i'm not an expert in Britain's nobles and my knowledge about the wars (I and II) of Scottish independence is just rudimentary.
    This different accents are enriching the "world" experience in my opinion and make the world somehow more "?tangible?" and they are definitly an value additive asset in BTIV.

Perhaps Fargo will be more missed than we think after his retirement with WL3? After T:ToN i didn't cared for inXile and Fargo that much, but after the recent actions like the remastering of BT I-III and WL, he has redeemed himself in my eyes and suddenly i don't want him to leave and wish him success for BTIV and WL3. Perhaps he can buy the rights for Dragon Wars from the italo-french cuisine restaurant owner, then let Kronos remaster it and make a "true" Dragon Wars II ?

^ Top  
  2. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers
    Is Fargo himself behind these ads? "greatly consumed"!

Partners seen so far:

- Darkest Dungeon guys, torch as in-game item
    - Larian, character cameos
    - Obsidian, NPC and item designed by community

Anyone seen more?

• decline decline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    BEvers Actually none of BT4 was made by inXile, the entire game is items, maps, and characters extracted from other games they bought copies of over the last couple years. Insider info, don't tell anyone!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    Memo: Never forget the Poe's law.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Unembeddable video here: https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/8/17...box-one-ps4-steam-gog-humble-soundtrack-video

• incline incline x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Why are they spoiling something that could have been a major 'wow' scene for players? LMAO

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Curratum Learned

Curratum
    Out of all the abortions I somehow persuaded myself to kickstart / back / preorder that release in 2018, I somehow have the most hope for BT4.

• Friendly x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    You'll have fun with it. There are a million criticisms to be made, particularly in the region of "this isn't very much like Bard's Tale I" ... but what is there ain't half bad. Based on my beta experience (and inXile's responses to beta feedback) I am genuinely looking forward to the full release.

• Brofist x 7
    • Agree x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Curratum Learned

Curratum
    I never played BT1, tried the remaster from the BT4 preorder and hated it so that's a positive in my book.

• Funny x 2
    • decline x 2
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    After putting ~15ish hours into the beta, I'm inclined to agree. It ain't a looker, and I don't know how the original BTs played, but it's compelling in it's own right. It kinda reminds me of a light version of MMX.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Grandpa Brian doesn't know what spoiler are.

^ Top  
  13. Zep Zepo Titties and Beer Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

Zep Zepo
    Divinity: Original Sin
    The "Beta" runs like shit on both my computers, one with and I5, 2 SLI vid cards and 16 gig of memory.

It ran so shit I gave up on both machines once I (painfully, slowly) reached the Adventurer's Guild.

Zep--

• Funny Funny x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Yeah it runs like shit for me too, much worse than KCD - which looks infinitely better. Here’s hoping that post beta optimization is happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    How can it be more light than MMX? Not trying to be edgy, I liked MMX - but it was a pretty slim thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    :what:

Literally could not have made the game look any worse than with that comment. MMX was already essentially fluff with no depth to it, anything lighter than that would be barely an RPG at all.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • No x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Party building is indeed lighter in BT4, at least up front ←important. Only having 4 "archetypes" to choose from, and only starting with a single character, feels very limited. By comparison, in MMX you can start with a Dwarven Scout, an Orc Shaman, all kinds of weird combinations and it feels like it matters.

Now over time, BT4 is deeper because it has the skill trees which can end with game-changing powers. In MMX I felt like I was just cranking up skills. Sword skill up, now I do more damage with a sword, so what? BT4 is not just numbers going up. On the other hand, MMX has things like your spellcasters can learn a bunch of spells and cast them at any time, whereas BT4 has a very limited "deck" for each character, like you can only have a few spells memorized at once. So that does feel more limited. BUT BT4 combat is a lot more interesting, with positioning, status and maneuvers being meaningful whereas MMX was more a traditional battle of attrition, mash attack quaff potions affair.

MMX also may be "heavier" in the sense that there is a ton of content, millions of "go kill giant spiders in the well" quests. The world feels huge and open, whereas BT4 is much more confined but with a sense of actual design, like you learn the ins and outs of the levels instead of just blundering across a huge map.

There are many contrasts between the two, but yes, it's easy to say from some perspectives that BT4 is lighter. Heavier in other ways though.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Sooooooo..... it's lighter in some ways, heavier in others. +M

I don't have a problem with skills making more of a qualitative difference, or the levels actually having a sense of design. Those are good things.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

Also apparently the first goal (the torch from Darkest Dungeon) of the wishlist campaign has unlocked: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...ht_Announces_First_Wishlist_Goal_Unlocked.php

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

If it took this long doesn't seem like there's a chance of reaching 300k before launch. Also lol potato stretch goal.

• meh meh x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. BlackGoat Savant

BlackGoat
    lol, do people really give a shit about the torch from Darkest Dungeon?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 4
    • No No x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    No, but it's not like you could skip it on the way to the price reduction ;)

100k in the worst case means 33k because fans wishlisted it on all three stores. Which is also the number of backers (no, I don't think that everyone - or even the majority - wishlisted it thrice).

^ Top  
  23. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    What Zombra said, although while the maps have more detail to them than MMX's did, they are essentially corridors. Also it's a shame that the quests are designed with waypoints in mind. I realize "light MMX" is damming it with faint praise, but I didn't have time to write out what Zombra did.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers
    ???

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Looking at those wishlisting numbers makes me wonder how much this can realistically sell. Might and Magic X sold more than 100,000 copies - and that one had both Ubisoft and the M&M name behind it (the name not only of a more popular blobber series than Bard's Tale, but of the even more popular Heroes spin-off). I wonder if this game even breaks 50,000.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)