Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sizzle

Arcane
Maybe MMX was a bigger name before, but BT4 is riding the KickStarter publicity campaign and I guarantee you is already a more "known" name with "gamers" than Might and Magic is right now due to being constantly given publicity in the usual gaming websites. KickStarter is now a much more important marketing tool than a funding one... much more important.

I can attest to this - everyone is being bombarded with BT4 ads on social networks, and even relative "normies" in gaming groups (who otherwise have no interest in blobbers) have heard of it by now.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
lol, do people really give a shit about the torch from Darkest Dungeon?
I don't even know what the hell it will look like. Is it a weapon with a special attack? A purely cosmetic item to clutter up my inventory? Or will the entire system of sanity mechanics and random encounter chances suddenly be shoehorned into BT4? It's like adding a complimentary snowboard to an ocean cruise, it makes no sense at all.

No infos about the torch, but there was a press release in Poland about the golden onion: https://ostatniatawerna.pl/the-bards-tale-iv-barrows-deep-bedzie-tansze-jesli-gracze-zechca/

InXile also prepared a special challenge, dedicated to a strong community of RPG fans in Poland, which has already proven its favor with the studio's titles. If there are at least 30,000 Polish players on their wish lists on Steam or GOG in the list of people who, as part of this initiative, will add the Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep to their wish list, a special artifact will be added to the game. Thanks to the mythical Golden Onion - because this will be the jewel created in tribute to Polish resourcefulness - the team will meet traders on special occasions for cheaper shopping.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
They had a budget of $10M ?

Fargo was right! :P

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/2277441

Our goal with these games is to under promise and over deliver, and we hope you feel that we’ve accomplished this with The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep. Most people don’t realize how much of our own money we pour in to make these games as special as possible. In this case, we spent more than 5x the amount raised via Kickstarter! We can’t help being passionate and giving it our all. If you haven't seen them yet, be sure to check out the spotlight videos we have been creating for the game.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

I can't say I dislike silly accents (cf. every Sir-Tech game after 1995) ... but when every character has the same silly accent it gets old real fast.

Good point.

not to non-Anglofags it don't

I couldn't place any English accent except Cockney so I'll be good. Those faux Scotsmen could be talking like Irishmen for all I care as long as I can literally see kobolds dancing and picture myself banging a red headed chick in the ass on a cliff in the Hebrides.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
They're looking for streamers and reviewers, spread the word

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/566090/announcements/detail/1693806594389205133

Wishlist Update - 300k Unlocked!
13 SEPTEMBER - PAUL_INXILE

255763816ba653c558f3211e895dbb7f49b0ff5a.png

We are thrilled to announce that the second tier has been unlocked!

In other major news, the launch trailer for the game has been released! You can watch it here:
The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep Launch Trailer

:yeah: Five dollars cheaper.

Also, now available on GOG: https://af.gog.com/game/the_bards_tale_iv_barrows_deep_standard_edition?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
wtf is this Dwarven DLC?... why is there even talk about a DLC???

Free DLC: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10974

At 500k wishlisters, two amazing tiers will unlock: first, the retail price will drop to $29.95/£24.99, knocking a full $10 off the original price. Secondly, a free DLC will be created and released for all game owners called “The Haernhold,” which finds characters adventuring in the dwarven realm of Kinestria.

In "The Haernhold" DLC, players gain the opportunity to travel beyond Caith to another dimension - Kinestria, realm of the Dwarves. Therein lies the Haernhold, home of Daeglish, one of the characters that can join the player’s party in the main game. All is not well - the tomb of a Dwarven king has been defiled, and only the heroes from Skara Brae have the power to face the darkness that has been unleashed. The only portal to Kinestria resides in Fort Garendon, and it is there where the player’s cross-realm odyssey will begin.

This is just a modern way of saying "post-launch content update".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Wait, from the comments:

paul_inxile [developer] 49 minutes ago

Well, the initiative is over now (it had to end once we locked in pricing for the game's launch) so no Haernhold DLC. Still, it's pretty impressive that we managed to get the second unlock.

:rage:

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Could they not have kept it going just for the DLC? I thought these DLCs were mostly finished before launch to keep the writers and so on busy?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Reaching 300k from 100k in just a few days? Color me skeptical. I wonder if they're bluffing, or if they actually reached that goal earlier but did not want to announce it immediately (though in the latter case, couldn't they have announced reaching the first goal earlier so as to space things out better)? But maybe there has actually been lots of hype for the game, dunno.

Anyway, I'm actually looking fwd to the game. Just curious how well it can do.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You and your ghosttagging Infinitron :argh:
So it looks like they just waited until the very end to announce that they surpassed 300k, huh. Oh, and they also held off on announcing it when the first goal was met? Playing it very strategic with their weird marketing schemes. :?
I'm surprised they didn't drop the price to $30 after all. I think it was you, Infinitron, who suggested that this whole wishlist initiative was conceived because they realized the suggested price was too high, and saw an opportunity to turn the price drop into a PR scheme. That might still be true, of course; maybe they just settled for $35.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom