Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
I don't see why they shouldn't release this for phones, would be pretty soft

Yes, would be good on an iPad too.

:D

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970/AMD 290 equivalent or greater
  • Storage: 50 GB available space

Compare to Witcher 3:

• OS: 64-bit Windows 7, 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1) or 64-bit Windows 10
  • Processor: Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz / AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
  • Graphics: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770 / AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
  • Storage: 35 GB available space

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I haven't followed all the news, so is grid-based movement in there on release or not?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Compare to Witcher 3:

Having to upgrade your PC for a blobber. What a time to be alive.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
I haven't followed all the news, so is grid-based movement in there on release or not?

No:

The Windows version is still on schedule for the 18th and then all hands are on deck to get the Mac and Linux versions out as fast as we can. We are hitting ALL our stretch goals, and have incorporated a tremendous amount of feedback from the beta test. The only slightly bad news is that we will be late on a few items, but they are most assuredly coming in the following weeks after release.

Between the alpha and beta, we received a number of great "throwback" suggestions in addition to the ones we already had. Taking a page from the Bard's Tale remaster, we decided to bring all of these features into what we're calling a "Legacy Mode". The bad news is that, in order to get them all in, we'll need time to iterate, so they won't be ready at release time. The good news is that the list of features is much more than we were originally intending on doing, all thanks to your suggestions. In addition to the previously discussed grid-based movement and hiding the minimap, we're also working on features such as old school scrolling text for combat, a save system closer to the original games for hardcore purists, and even an ability to bring back the "A-Team". This will be another of our immediate focuses post-launch, and you can look for the Legacy Mode to arrive sometime soon after the game's release.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Compare to Witcher 3:

Having to upgrade your PC for a blobber. What a time to be alive.
:outrage: IT'S NOT A

...ah, what the hell.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The maps don't appear to be designed with grid movement in mind, so you aren't missing much. Much like playing with waypoints removed, it can be done, but without design consideration, it's a half-baked feature at best.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Compare to Witcher 3:

This must be the most poorly optimised piece of shit i have seen in my life! I could run the witcher 3 on normal and the game looks good. This shit is mainly static with a few effects from time to time! How the fuck it would need more power than the witcher?????

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
So I'm thinking that the story of BEvers is that Infinitron created an alt for shitposting, but then failed to suppress his natural instincts and is now posting news with that one as well.

PrettyDeadman

Don't like that combat. reminds me of Original sin.
Why can't it be simpler? Like in blobber. Just click to hit. Maybe cast a fireball.

gruntar

Augur
This must be the most poorly optimised piece of shit i have seen in my life! I could run the witcher 3 on normal and the game looks good. This shit is mainly static with a few effects from time to time! How the fuck it would need more power than the witcher?????

This is going to be this game undoing. Even if initial sales are solid, many will refund due to poor performance.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

This is going to be this game undoing. Even if initial sales are solid, many will refund due to poor performance.
I agree,also not many blobber fans are known for their monster rigs. Blobber needing a pc upgrade is ridiculous.

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!
I agree,also not many blobber fans are known for their monster rigs. Blobber needing a pc upgrade is ridiculous.

485E8AD09AE037001935F3EB4E102E5FCA8532F3

Bara

Arcane
After playing Wizardry 8, again on a whim I looked up Falcon Northwest and apparently they are still a thing. I guess that add still technically works for them.

For those who've played through the beta is the music in game good enough to warrant the extra $30 you'd have to spend for the Platinum Edition compared to the standard edition? Or $15 bucks if you compare it to the premium edition.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Don't read the comments? Are you crazy? How else will I get my dopamine-releasing rage-fix?

this looks like a 2 year old made this. we want a bards tale 2 that co-insides with the PS2 version, not this crap.

It’s a turn based combat? Ewww!

2based4me!

PS2 Bard's Tale it was way more fun than this, I hope I'm wrong, bc the old games had potential and were great, a new one could be fun.

Yes, the old games indeed had potential!

MEANWHILE I SPOT AN ABSOLUTELY BASED COMMENT:
It takes nearly 10 minutes for one fight?

^^^ :shredder:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/2288115

Are You The Keymaster?

0bad5fcba7890593a20a52653e83c40f_original.gif

Preparing for Key Distribution

Hey Everyone,

Paul here with a very quick update on key distribution. Tomorrow (Friday) around mid-day, we're going to disable the backer beta keys. We are doing this for two reasons. First, this will allow beta backers to choose either Steam or GOG for their main game. Second, we need to replace the beta with the release build.

Shortly after the beta goes offline, we are going to begin rolling out emails that will prompt you to log into your backer survey and choose a Bard's Tale IV game key for either Steam or GOG. Just wanted to give you a head's up on that to be watching your inbox (and various other folders) for that email over the next few days. If by Monday you have not received that email for whatever reason, please follow these instructions:
  • Go to the Crowdox survey: https://app.crowdox.com/retrieve/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv
  • Enter the e-mail that you used for Kickstarter (or, if you've changed it, the email you currently use for CrowdOx) and click "Resend Email".
  • You'll get an e-mail with the link to your survey. Open it and find "Do you need to make changes or want to add an extra item?"
  • Click on the “Open Your Survey” link below in this email. This is right below your Balance. This will open your survey up in a new browser window.
  • Open it and scroll down to find "Do you need to make changes or want to add an extra item?"
  • Click "Open Your Survey" there.
  • Then (important and easy to miss!), please click "Reward" tab on top left of the survey.
  • Scroll down and find “The Bard's Tale IV” and select your GOG or Steam key.
  • Complete the survey by clicking through each of the tabs (the buttons are on the bottom of each page) until you get the confirmation.
  • Once you do so, a key will be generated for you and sent to you in a separate email.
For whenever you receive your key, you can follow these instructions to make your key active:

Steam: https://inxile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004662068-Activating-Steam-keys

GOG: https://inxile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004662108-Activating-GOG-keys

IMPORTANT NOTE: While you will be able to activate your game key, the game will not be playable until 8 AM PST on September 18th when the game goes live!

Thank you again for helping us to get this far! The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep is almost here! We would like to ask you for one more favor: our ability to continue creating in-depth RPGs has always gone hand in hand with you helping us to spread the word. We would be very grateful if you would support us even further by sharing your positive views of the game if you are enjoying it. We'll be in touch again on launch day, and to help tide you over as you wait for the key, check out the game's launch trailer if you haven't seen it yet!

Until Next Time,
Paul Marzagalli
Public Relations & Community Manager
@phimseto

Follow Us:
Facebook | Twitter

Last edited:

imweasel

I really want to play this. I've been craving a good turn-based blobber since I finished Might & Magic X. :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I should have found this out earlier. Brian Fargo told us last year that a studio from North Carolina helped develop the game's combat engine: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10604

We're also trying to get more efficient by using outside contractors. Like for the combat system in Bard's Tale IV we're using a small team out of North Carolina. They're not employees; it's about four people.

That's Mighty Rabbit Studios, developers of the Breach & Clear games: http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com/

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
The more I read and see about this game, the more it seems that it will be a surprisingly good game.
I almost forgot I backed it :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom