Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale Trilogy - remaster by Krome Studios

Vapid

Learned
CRITICAL GAME CHANGES
  • Added a third dice to the character creation dice roll.

Long overdue. :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's 2018, every functional human being uses 2 or more monitors and naturally play stuff in windowed mode. What do you need it for anyway, to double the size of a panel carrying your character name and hitpoints?
The fpp viewing area needs to be significantly larger, similar to how this looked once they patched it.

getter77

Augur
Sub-contracting these folks is perhaps the best decision Fargo has made since going for it outright on the first KS for Wasteland 2.

Don't know if Gold Box remasters are something we'll ever see, even Dragon Wars and Devil Whiskey are long shots to various extreme degrees by now. If we just want to dream big on momentum, somehow get them involved with the Iceblink Project as the day it is fully realized will be a day when some serious possibilities are unleashed.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
The fpp viewing area needs to be significantly larger, similar to how this looked once they patched it.

Would a PoR remaster go the same "first person eye candy" route as the BT remaster? My assumption is that most of the art budget would go into top-down assets for the battlefields; models, animations, spell effects, etc.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yup. Thank the lord Burger Becky fucked up and forced Fargo to go shopping for another contractor. It's a tremendous remaster and there's no chance in hell Becky could have pulled off something with this quality.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yup. Thank the lord Burger Becky fucked up and forced Fargo to go shopping for another contractor. It's a tremendous remaster and there's no chance in hell Becky could have pulled off something with this quality.

We may not have seen the last of Becky. After watching that launch trailer, I suddenly realized - Michael Cranford didn't work on Bard's Tale 3!

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

We may not have seen the last of Becky. While watching that launch trailer, I suddenly realized - Michael Cranford didn't work on Bard's Tale 3!

I think I've seen quite enough of him/her after the fucked up Battle Chess attempt and then committing to BT remaster only to bail out after couple of months.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Few questions for BT2 I would prefer to play blind without looking too much information:

1) Is there any gameplay differences between using import party from BT1 or making a new one? Seems like import party starts naked level 1 (not interested in steamroll import option where I can keep levels + equipment) compared to party (non import) which has a party full of equipment (+horn which was quite gamebreaking in BT1). Just wondering should I keep my old party or start new game and steal equipment from premade party.

2) Is having rogue mandatory and keeping party slots open for story reasons?

First encounter I just had was 3 giants which one shotted fully equipped party :mixedemotions:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Centauri alliance could benefit from a remake, there's not even a pc version available, and then the only available color palettes are the C64 and Apple-II ones.

Themadcow

Augur
I can certainly see the case for the Gold Box games ahead of something like Wizardry 6. While Bane has the same grey stone tileset for every map, it's perfectly functional on a modern PC and most other aspects of the game hold up really well. Text descriptions of the environment do a wonderful job of transforming a dull tileset into a smoking mountain or river Styx.

On the other hand, The Gold Box games tactical combat is fine but the implementation of the class ruleset is hard work, interface is... mmm... not great and the step based dungeon crawling elements just look bloody awful in some places (to the extent you can't even see some doors) despite having more detail and colour than Wiz 6.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Definitely a gold box release that simply put the text in the game would be neat, even if not much else changed. I love the fake entries too, but sometimes you just want to sit down and play Azure Bonds without a book or pdf open all the time

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Few questions for BT2 I would prefer to play blind without looking too much information:

1) Is there any gameplay differences between using import party from BT1 or making a new one? Seems like import party starts naked level 1 (not interested in steamroll import option where I can keep levels + equipment) compared to party (non import) which has a party full of equipment (+horn which was quite gamebreaking in BT1). Just wondering should I keep my old party or start new game and steal equipment from premade party.

2) Is having rogue mandatory and keeping party slots open for story reasons?

First encounter I just had was 3 giants which one shotted fully equipped party :mixedemotions:

1. It's a huge difference IMO.
With an imported party you are too powerful and the game is boring.
Also, the beginner dungeon is one of the best ones in the game.

2. Rogue is not mandatory, but you need to make room for NPCs occasionally. At least once in the beginner dungeon and it at least one of the puzzle snares. Also, it's funny to spell bind bosses like Oscon and have them join the party.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Maybe importing got changed compared to original. Now there are 2 importing options - 1 is to keep everything the same (levels items etc.) and other is importing characters but no inventory + starting level is 1 with original BT1 starting stats and all spells erased.

index.php

Arcane
2jc9grk.png

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Definitely a gold box release that simply put the text in the game would be neat, even if not much else changed. I love the fake entries too, but sometimes you just want to sit down and play Azure Bonds without a book or pdf open all the time

The text-only entries are already in GBC. The images could be modded in too, but nobody seems to have bothered yet.

screen07.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
It's 2018, every functional human being uses 2 or more monitors and naturally play stuff in windowed mode. What do you need it for anyway, to double the size of a panel carrying your character name and hitpoints?

Give them a "widescreen support" and they'll take a complete UI overhaul and total redesign of how the game looks :smug:

Look, I'll be as happy as anybody if some goldbox games would be redone using the FP visuals of Grimrock and combat looks of JA2 (as long as it wouldn't slow the gameplay down to a crawl thanks to muh immershun), but we are all aware this ain't gonna happening ever.

mondblut

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom