Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The best writer in RPGs is...

Zanzoken

Arcane
Michael Kirkbride.

If you don't know who Kirkbride is, he is responsible for creating a lot of the lore around the Elder Scrolls series. He wrote most of the gods and creation myths, pretty much everything Vivec-related in Morrowind, and also the Commentaries on the Mysterium Xarxes. Plus lots more.

Now as derpy as the games themselves can be, if you really start digging into the lore, there's a lot of deep world design and interesting storytelling going on behind the scenes. The Bethesda devs fail to effectively utilize most of it but it's there.

Nobody else in games really writes the way Kirkbride does (maybe Avellone is close when he is on his game). Kirkbride's stuff is usually hard to grasp, very esoteric and kind of a mindfuck, but once you start to wrap your head around it then it's really cool. And even though it will never happen, I would love to see a TES game where he is given free reign over the story and narrative design.

Thoughts?

Thal

Prophet
Writing for RPGs is hard.

I am going to nominate the people who were doing PS:T stuff. It is incredibly hard to write in a style like that without sounding pretentious, as we have seen with PoE. Somehow, that line is never crossed in Torment if I recall correctly. That kind of consistence isn't easy, and the fact that it was effort of multiple people makes it even more impressive. You'd think that someone had fucked up somewhere, but I guess they were just very much tuned in with the setting. Torment, to this day has also the best cast of characters in any RPG that I can think of.

Kirkbride and a lot of Elder Scrolls stuff works also for a similar reason. It's so in-universe that you can suspend your disbelief. But not all settings and games allow that sort of evocative writing.

For those, I've been thinking that they shouldn't even try. Try to come up with a better plot and interesting questlines instead and have the writing carry it functionally and in an unintrusive manner. It's storytelling too. I'm not sure all rpgs even need to have this focus on writing that I've seen lately. Games are neither movies nor books and they play with their strengths. An author has to put everything in the writing, a game can both show it and make player do it. And then it came make it happen to the player. A lot of opportunities that are often underused. Deus ex was pretty good at this though.

Trashos

Arcane
I am a fan of MCA's work.

I am also very impressed by AoD's writing and dark humor. So that's VD, I guess? But I am at the honeymoon stage with the game, so we 'll see how it holds up.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Kinkbride eh? Fitting name for someone who wrote this.

HlgSLTJ.jpg

Azarkon

Arcane
Apples and oranges. Kirkbride does world building & static text writing. Avellone focuses on the design of the in game story, quest, and character. The latter is what makes up the bulk of a game's interactive narrative. The former is secondary text that you read when you have time. This is also why, despite Kirkbride's best efforts, the games he works on are considered light on story - because it just isn't very important to the game. By contrast, without Avellone's writing, Planescape: Torment is a trash game with shit combat; the game IS the writing, in that case.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kinkbride eh? Fitting name for someone who wrote this.

the barenziah book in daggerfall and morrowind have queen barenziah have sex with a khajiit, which has barbed penis. it was removed in oblivion and skyrim.

i also agree, kirkbride made great foundation with TES, shame that universe is wasted by being owned by bethretards

Veelq

Augur
Michael Kirkbride is more of a loremaster than a writer. He is someone like Ed Greenwood to Forgotten Realms. And i liked his work in Morrowind.

i also agree, kirkbride made great foundation with TES, shame that universe is wasted by being owned by bethretards
i have a feeling that Bethesda doesnt even understand how deep and rich the world of TES is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom