Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The big 4X thread (also unofficial patches + mods, also questions about these)

tindrli

Arcane
Anyone know of any decent 4X games for Android, or is my best hope to install emulators for Moo2 or Civ?

well i dont know but if you can install emulator and start MOO2 its a heaven

Cavaron

Novice
Master of Orion 2 - still the best of the bunch, nothing even comes close to it. Are there any fan patches or mods that improve the AI?

For sure there is:
http://lordbrazen.blogspot.de/2005/01/moo2v140-patch-faq.html
http://masteroforion2.blogspot.de/

Including a still active community playing it online via the web (DosBox and direct IP connection). There is even a mod to make the races more balanced (there are three different custom-races possible in the original, which are unbeatable ueber).

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No MoO3? I know all the kool kids hate it but it's actually a very deep game, with an insane amount of mods out there.

Imperium Galactica 2 - Still has the best planet management of any 4X game out there.

Also: BotF link doesn't work when you actually try to download the game. Something about a "restricted area". For shame.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No MoO3? I know all the kool kids hate it but it's actually a very deep game, with an insane amount of mods out there.
If by deep, you mean undocumented and broken so no one knows how anything works.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
If by deep, you mean undocumented and broken so no one knows how anything works.

Sure, if you're a complete and utter moron you might not be able to figure it out, but proper 4X games tend not to have a quest compass and on-screen tutorial telling you when to press the A-button.

Zardoz

Educated
I second the dominions 3 and Alpha Centauri recs I still play them a lot despite the shitty ai but then again strategy game ais suck in general anyways. I'm having a lot of fun with distant worlds so far lately as well.

Moo3 was different from the rest of the series but with mods it's not that bad indeed despite being somewhat botched on release. The only things that really bothered me were the long mid turn waiting and the uber carriers in the end game owning everything else or worse stalling combat forever since they can just flee and leave their fighters.

BBMorti

Arcane

Sure, if you're a complete and utter moron you might not be able to figure it out, but proper 4X games tend not to have a quest compass and on-screen tutorial telling you when to press the A-button.
You are quite blunt, but yes Moo3 seemed to just be a tad too complicated for most 'morons'.

I did only play it for a short period, some months, until me and a friend of mine had mastered the highest difficulty. The games were very long compared to the classic Moo2. I did hear that the community had fixed the game into a quite decent game, through modding, but when googling around it always seemed to be that it was dead. Not getting a mention in this thread is just one other example of that.

I have put a lot of hours into Civ5, too.. is it just the rule that if a game is new(ish) then it is shunned on the codex?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

You are quite blunt, but yes Moo3 seemed to just be a tad too complicated for most 'morons'.

I did only play it for a short period, some months, until me and a friend of mine had mastered the highest difficulty. The games were very long compared to the classic Moo2. I did hear that the community had fixed the game into a quite decent game, through modding, but when googling around it always seemed to be that it was dead. Not getting a mention in this thread is just one other example of that.

I have put a lot of hours into Civ5, too.. is it just the rule that if a game is new(ish) then it is shunned on the codex?

A general rule of thumb on the Codex is that anything released after Fallout 2 is complete shit. Of course, most new games are indeed shit but this attitude means the games that are actually any good also automatically get dismissed as crap just because they are newer. If the game is buggy on release, like Moo3, it gets even worse. Very few people will go back years later after patches and mods have fixed most issues and change their opinions.

DakaSha

Arcane
Emperor of the fading suns could ahve literally been the best 4x evar! Yes better than moo or civ or whatever

too bad they fucked it up. I spent hours on it regardless but i was younger and more willing to put up with stupid shit

DakaSha

Arcane
Actually, looking a little deeper, Emperor of the Fading Suns looks ridiculously complex, in the bad way..

Its not complex at all. just poorly designed and broken
I'd even go so far as to say its very simple

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
EoFS is only playable with hyperion mod. And hyperion is bugged like Empire: Total War, which is the lowest mark.
In vanilla you swim in cash and could use so much exploits it kills all the fun.
Great ideas and interesting setting but completely obliterated by lack of polish. If someone would restart the franchise with proper automatization of orders, especially with "Universal Warehouse" and proper balancing that would be awesome.
EoFS was one of thefew real competitor to Civilization series. Sadly, failed to develop.

laclongquan

Arcane

A general rule of thumb on the Codex is that anything released after Fallout 2 is complete shit. Of course, most new games are indeed shit but this attitude means the games that are actually any good also automatically get dismissed as crap just because they are newer. If the game is buggy on release, like Moo3, it gets even worse. Very few people will go back years later after patches and mods have fixed most issues and change their opinions.

You are trying too hard. Any harder and your hardon would burst. A simple counter point to your argument is to check the latest RPGCodex top ten list. THAT will slap you silly with its multiple cockheads oh gawwwwd~

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

You are trying too hard. Any harder and your hardon would burst. A simple counter point to your argument is to check the latest RPGCodex top ten list. THAT will slap you silly with its multiple cockheads oh gawwwwd~

So complaining about all the tryhard edginess means I'm trying too hard?

:hmmm:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Anyone know of any decent 4X games for Android, or is my best hope to install emulators for Moo2 or Civ?
Play MoO1. It's much less heavy than MoO2 and funner, imo.

laclongquan

Arcane
Obviously. It is the attitude, the intent behind the actions, not the content. You could have complaint about jews being jews and/or haters gonna hate, and your trying too hard still showing through.

DakaSha

Arcane
tindrli

I saw you posting in the ReStock mod thread on spaceempires.net.

I decided to get back into space empires because i remember loving it, apart from the shitty AI. Seems that restock is even better than TDM in this regard?

Anyways what AI bonuses do you play on for it to be as strong as you were claiming in that thread? Does it need bonuses even?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom