Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified TPS

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/16/the-truth-is-somewhere-xcom-shooter-videos-site-gone/

Quietly – ever so quietly – XCOM: The Game Of The Other, Very Different Game has poofed into Duke-Nukem-scented vapors. It’s touched down and carved crop circles into the fields of our imaginations a couple times, but not without 2K Marin knocking it out of its bicycle basket and dragging it back into the deepest reaches of some underground testing facility. Matters, I imagine, were only complicated when XCOM: Enemy Unknown defied 2K’s expectations by being incredibly well-received, leaving the idea of an XCOM shooter in an even fuzzier limbo. That in mind, it’s not entirely surprising to see the repeatedly revamped reboot suddenly vanish without a trace – especially when another revamp may well be the culprit.

First up, the big, obvious bits: XCOM’s website and all traces of video footage on 2K’s official YouTube channel have suddenly disappeared. It’s apparently not just some momentary fluke either, as 2K’s refusing to discuss it. Eurogamer tried to get some clarification, only to be met by a good old-fashioned “no comment.”

Big, obvious, barely obscured neon signs, however, point to a potential rebranding. Kotaku recently uncovered a squirmy mess of 2K trademarks for something called The Bureau, which were linked to domains for whathappenedin62.com and whathappenedin62.net. Marin’s XCOM, meanwhile, takes place in 1962. You can probably do the math.

If true, I can’t really knock the decision. Enemy Unknown is the modern successor X-Com needed, and its trigger-happy cousin never really fit in at any of the family gatherings. Removing XCOM from the equation entirely, then, could allow Marin to really embrace what is, on its own, actually a pretty cool setting. Slicing and dicing it to better fit the XCOM mold just wasn’t working, and it showed in an increasingly generic-looking squad-based to-do. So hopefully, this ends up being for the best.

And if not, well, at least we got Jake Solomon out of the deal. Oh, and Enemy Unknown. That was good too, I guess.

In before repurposing as Bioshock Infinite sequel.

Jashiin

Arcane
Moving-picture-100-dollar-bill-money-to-burn-animated-gif.gif

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If true, I can’t really knock the decision. Enemy Unknown is the modern successor X-Com needed, and its trigger-happy cousin never really fit in at any of the family gatherings. Removing XCOM from the equation entirely, then, could allow Marin to really embrace what is, on its own, actually a pretty cool setting. Slicing and dicing it to better fit the XCOM mold just wasn’t working, and it showed in an increasingly generic-looking squad-based to-do. So hopefully, this ends up being for the best.
Hasn't the previous game journalists' position been something along the lines of "the shooter is a much needed modern reimagining that will breathe new life into your forgotten franchise, nerds"? Suddenly it's "good riddance, we never loved you, TB forever brah" The fuckers wouldn't know integrity even with Webster's in hand.

Gord

Arcane
I think the guy from the article is right in one thing, though: It could be an interesting enough setting for a shooter, if they get rid of the XCOM branding.
To make it an interesting game, they will still need to get rid of the popamole, though, but there might be potential. Maybe.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
:incline:
I suspect the "XCOM" shooter was originally meant to be it's own thing, but then 2K decided to slap the XCOM name on it to spin up some buzz.
The developers are probably happy if this means they get to make something closer to what they originally intended, and the concept isn't so bad actually, it's just got nothing to do with X-Com.
2013 keeps delivering!

J1M

Arcane
Well that shooter was obviously crap, they probably were shocked the turn-based game sold at all and now are afraid the FPS will damage the brand, lol.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
It will be more or less the same game, only rebranded. If it was cancelled, they'd have made an official statement and be done with it. But instead they just removed all the content silently, suggesting that a re-re-re-announcement is coming soon.

Jashiin

Arcane
who would have thought that no clip and wallhack would become standard features :lol:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Best gaming-related news I've heard in a while.

I hope this sets a precedence that will be followed by others. Like Eidos Montreal.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hasn't the previous game journalists' position been something along the lines of "the shooter is a much needed modern reimagining that will breathe new life into your forgotten franchise, nerds"? Suddenly it's "good riddance, we never loved you, TB forever brah" The fuckers wouldn't know integrity even with Webster's in hand.
For all it's faults, rps was never really on that bandwagon.

Now if you make an emotionally engaging adventure game with no gameplay, rps will affix their mouths to any orifice you choose and begin sucking.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I will laugh my ass of if Thia4f fail so hard because of rejection from fans as DMC did. Maybe enough fan bitching can scare off retards from buying the abomination.

Dexter

Arcane
I dno, I kinda wanted to see more:

Although, looking at recent developments, it might've turned into a 2D Jump&Run by the time it got released...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I liked the aesthetic a lot. I'll watch a gameplay vid if they ever release the game and see if I could tolerate it.

keppj0nes

Educated
The most important thing to come out of this is an FPS was cancelled/rebranded so the only thing with the XCOM brand name will be the isometric version's sequels and expansions.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Eh, an XCOM FPS styled more like Doom or Duke Nukem than a modern FPS could be loadsa fun. Gotta stick with the style of the time it came out. Hell, I bet you could mod Doom or Duke Nukem 3D into an XCOM FPS pretty fucking easily.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Did they ever make a sequel to Nocturne? I got that kinda vibe from those screens.

tadhg

Educated
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
They didn't ever make a sequel to Nocturne. Which irritated me since I liked that game and the ending was a damned cliffhanger. I wonder how it game holds up today

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I will laugh my ass of if Thia4f fail so hard because of rejection from fans as DMC did. Maybe enough fan bitching can scare off retards from buying the abomination.
That's not as likely considering it's trying to appeal to console players who have likely never played Thief. The DMC reboot gave console DMC fans the finger in an attempt to cater to a hypothetically larger console crowd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom